Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Captain Morgan

How early would you take a QB?

to sit behind Cam?  He may never see the field this year, and who knows how much while Cam is

on the roster...of course if Cam can't get healthy.....so it's a bit of a conundrum.  

Obviously the top targets will be gone by our first 3rd.  

When would you pull the trigger?

What if Will Grier is available at our first 3rd?  Of if he lasts till our 2nd third?

If you risk him dropping to our 4th and he's gone, now you're looking at Stidham out of Auburn and 

Jackson out of Buffalo who will be rated in the 85 to 110 range on a lot of big boards.  Entirely possible they could both be gone by our 4th, or they could both still be there.

After that, things get pretty dicey.

QB  RYAN FINLEY - NC STATE
152 QB  BRETT RYPIEN - BOISE ST.
166 QB  CLAYTON THORSON - NORTHWESTERN
203 QB  GARDNER MINSHEW - WASHINGTON ST.

(from Fanspeak's composite big board)

Pretty much anybody here could be a bust.

I really don't want to use anything above our 4th, and I really hope a good prospect falls to our 5th.

What's the earliest you'd pull the trigger if the right prospect is there?

I don't believe we need one in this particular draft. But if we really like someone maybe a 5th or later? There is a lot of talent in the mid rounds of this draft that I'd hate to miss on.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

Next year if worst case scenario. I'd settle for 5th or later this year but I wouldn't have vary many expectations.

• Pie 1

If I knew exactly how Cam's arm will be, I'd be willing to make an exact prediction, but we really don't know anything here.

If his arm is back in shape and ready to go again, I wouldn't spend a pick on a QB right now.

If it's up in the air, might take a 3rd or 4th rounder if someone with promise fell.

If that arm isn't coming back, it's time to drop a surprise 1st rounder on the best one available.

So many things depend on Cam's shoulder recovery right now, even down to what type of linemen and styles of play to pick. Do we shoot for another WR, or do we check down to a TE or RB in the mid rounds? Or do we go defense heavy and hope we can hold on? 

• Pie 1

Not until day 3, round 5 at the earliest. 

We have way too many holes on this roster to use an early pick on a position of luxury. The fact of the matter is if Cam's hurt we're fuged anyway, a rookie qb isn't going to change that. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If I knew exactly how Cam's arm will be, I'd be willing to make an exact prediction, but we really don't know anything here.

If his arm is back in shape and ready to go again, I wouldn't spend a pick on a QB right now.

If it's up in the air, might take a 3rd or 4th rounder if someone with promise fell.

If that arm isn't coming back, it's time to drop a surprise 1st rounder on the best one available.

So many things depend on Cam's shoulder recovery right now, even down to what type of linemen and styles of play to pick. Do we shoot for another WR, or do we check down to a TE or RB in the mid rounds? Or do we go defense heavy and hope we can hold on? 

Yup.

We are all hoping that everything is A OK with the shoulder...and we likely won't know much until TC...if not a few games into the season.

Words to look out for "pitch count", and "new normal".

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Yup.

We are all hoping that everything is A OK with the shoulder...and we likely won't know much until TC...if not a few games into the season.

Words to look out for "pitch count", and "new normal".

Yeah, those two phrases will not bode well for the Panthers this season.

I liked what I saw in Allen and he was considered a top prospect (maybe the top, can’t recall) out of high school so maybe there is untapped talent that just didn’t blossom in college. This crop of QBs isn’t good and people trip all over themselves to make some look better than they are. We need all 5 of our top 100ish picks. Also, look at history. Since Brady, there’s been one year (Wilson, Foles and Cousins) with QBs drafted 3rd round or lower that did anything. If 2012 wasn’t full of prospects (a lot didn’t pan out), Wilson isn’t a 3rd rounder. 2019 draft class is way worse than 2012, so don’t expect any QB taken after the 2nd to do anything.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Depends on the player. I’d run to the podium with tears of joy to get Murray at 16 but he’s obviously going 1st. Grier probably not until the 3rd round. Lock in the 2nd hell yeah but he’s probably gone before our first pick anyways. Not a huge fan of many of this year’s QBs.

Edited by t96

Honestly I don't think drafting a QB from this class is in our best interest. Allen showed me enough last year to get a chance, and if Cams a no go, this year is over anyways. Draft is to deep at DL not to spend early draft capital there. If we do take a QB I say after round 4, if only to push Allen for competition. 

• Pie 3

34 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Pretty much this.

I think this is the wrong draft for that.  Just a wasted pick most likely. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

45 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Not until day 3, round 5 at the earliest. 

We have way too many holes on this roster to use an early pick on a position of luxury. The fact of the matter is if Cam's hurt we're fuged anyway, a rookie qb isn't going to change that. 

That’s what I’m saying...and how do we know anyone we took would be any better than Allen or heinicke...we’d have just as much of a wing and a prayer chance that one of them is a delhomme or romo diamond in the rough than spending a mid/high pick on a jimmy clausen or drew stanton level dink that just makes us feel better about our QB room because more of us recognize their name...fug that. If (knock on wood, heaven forbid, I don’t think it’s going to happen) Cam goes down any length of time or doesn’t return back to form we’ll be drafting top 10 next year in which case I’d rather be picking higher than lower anyways

• Pie 3