Jump to content
Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Panthers interested in Gerald McCoy

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Winning is obviously number 1 in football but let's see if it continues. For most of Tomlin's reign the Steelers only competition in division was the Ravens. Much like the Patriots it is easier to win a division when you have a number of gimme games you can count on. Seems the Steelers are winning in spite of Tomlin not because of him.

12 years in a row of .500 or better isn't a fluke. Five back to back winning seasons isn't a fluke. Speaking of weak divisions, we actually won the division under Ron with a losing record. Two of the four years the Steelers have missed the playoffs under Tomlin actually happened with a winning record, including last season. They've never won their division with less than 10 wins. 

It's embarrassing to watch someone try to argue that Rivera > Tomlin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

12 years in a row of .500 or better isn't a fluke. Five back to back winning seasons isn't a fluke. Speaking of weak divisions, we actually won the division under Ron with a losing record. Two of the four years the Steelers have missed the playoffs under Tomlin actually happened with a winning record, including last season. They've never won their division with less than 10 wins. 

It's embarrassing to watch someone try to argue that Rivera > Tomlin. 

When you are given 4 wins automatically you only have to go 5-7 the rest of the way to have a winning season.

And let's remember Rivera inherited a 2-14 team whereas Tomlin inherited a talent laden team.  Rivera's first 2 losing seasons were each improvements over the previous one. Look at the Steelers winning seasons and Roethlisburger's health. Note that when he players few than 16 games they struggled. The same with the Panthers and Cam.  So you could easily argue the Steelers have had better talent up and down the lineup in an easier division.

I actually didn't argue Rivera was better, I argued that with Tomlin losing the locker room guys like Tepper wanted him gone. Since Rivera is firmly in control Tepper is more comfortable with him running the show. I still think Rivera has to go deep in the playoffs to keep his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

When you are given 4 wins automatically you only have to go 5-7 the rest of the way to have a winning season.

There's just nothing to support your theory that the NFC South has been the tougher division. In fact, everything points to the opposite. In Rivera's 8 years, there's only been 3 when there has been more than one team in the division with a winning record. One season there were none. In the AFC North during that same time frame, there have been 6 years when there has been more than one team with a winning record. The AFC North has clearly been the consistently tougher division over the past 8 seasons. Hell, you have to go all the way back to 1990 to find a season when that division was won by a team with less than 10 Ws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's just nothing to support your theory that the NFC South has been the tougher division. In fact, everything points to the opposite. In Rivera's 8 years, there's only been 3 when there has been more than one team in the division with a winning record. One season there were none. In the AFC North during that same time frame, there have been 6 years when there has been more than one team with a winning record. The AFC North has clearly been the consistently tougher division over the past 8 seasons.

Yes there is consensus that the NFC South has been the toughest division for several years. Also besides Baltimore who else has won many games in the division? Cleveland? How many has Cincinnati had?  How many teams from the AFC North have won their conference in the last 8 years?  How many NFC South teams won their conference? It isn't close.    Obviously stats are easy to find and argue about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Yes there is consensus that the NFC South has been the toughest division for several years. Also besides Baltimore who else has won many games in the division? Cleveland? How many has Cincinnati had?  How many teams from the AFC North have won their conference in the last 8 years?  How many NFC South teams won their conference? It isn't close.    Obviously stats are easy to find and argue about...

If there's a consensus on that matter, then the consensus is demonstrably incorrect.

2011 (3) New Orleans (13–3) (5) Atlanta (10–6) Carolina (6–10) Tampa Bay (4–12)
2012 (1) Atlanta (13–3) Carolina (7–9) New Orleans (7–9) Tampa Bay (7–9)
2013 (2) Carolina (12–4) (6) New Orleans (11–5) Atlanta (4–12) Tampa Bay (4–12)
2014 (4) Carolina (7–8–1) New Orleans (7–9) Atlanta (6–10) Tampa Bay (2–14)
2015 (1) Carolina (15–1) Atlanta (8–8) New Orleans (7–9) Tampa Bay (6–10)
2016 (2) Atlanta (11–5) Tampa Bay (9–7) New Orleans (7–9) Carolina (6–10)
2017 (4) New Orleans (11–5) (5) Carolina (11–5) (6) Atlanta (10–6) Tampa Bay (5–11)
2018 (1) New Orleans (13–3) Atlanta (7–9) Carolina (7–9) Tampa Bay (5–11)

 

2011 (2) Baltimore (12–4) (5) Pittsburgh (12–4) (6) Cincinnati (9–7) Cleveland (4–12)
2012 (4) Baltimore (10–6) (6) Cincinnati (10–6) Pittsburgh (8–8) Cleveland (5–11)
2013 (3) Cincinnati (11–5) Pittsburgh (8–8) Baltimore (8–8) Cleveland (4–12)
2014 (3) Pittsburgh (11–5) (5) Cincinnati (10–5–1) (6) Baltimore (10–6) Cleveland (7–9)
2015 (3) Cincinnati (12–4) (6) Pittsburgh (10–6) Baltimore (5–11) Cleveland (3–13)
2016 (3) Pittsburgh (11–5) Baltimore (8–8) Cincinnati (6–9–1) Cleveland (1–15)
2017 (2) Pittsburgh (13–3) Baltimore (9–7) Cincinnati (7–9) Cleveland (0–16)
2018 (4) Baltimore (10-6) Pittsburgh (9–6–1) Cleveland (7–8–1) Cincinnati (6–10)

 

The NFC South's bottom feeder team has been consistently better, but the AFC North's top three have been consistently better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If there's a consensus on that matter, then the consensus is demonstrably incorrect.

2011 (3) New Orleans (13–3) (5) Atlanta (10–6) Carolina (6–10) Tampa Bay (4–12)
2012 (1) Atlanta (13–3) Carolina (7–9) New Orleans (7–9) Tampa Bay (7–9)
2013 (2) Carolina (12–4) (6) New Orleans (11–5) Atlanta (4–12) Tampa Bay (4–12)
2014 (4) Carolina (7–8–1) New Orleans (7–9) Atlanta (6–10) Tampa Bay (2–14)
2015 (1) Carolina (15–1) Atlanta (8–8) New Orleans (7–9) Tampa Bay (6–10)
2016 (2) Atlanta (11–5) Tampa Bay (9–7) New Orleans (7–9) Carolina (6–10)
2017 (4) New Orleans (11–5) (5) Carolina (11–5) (6) Atlanta (10–6) Tampa Bay (5–11)
2018 (1) New Orleans (13–3) Atlanta (7–9) Carolina (7–9) Tampa Bay (5–11)

 

2011 (2) Baltimore (12–4) (5) Pittsburgh (12–4) (6) Cincinnati (9–7) Cleveland (4–12)
2012 (4) Baltimore (10–6) (6) Cincinnati (10–6) Pittsburgh (8–8) Cleveland (5–11)
2013 (3) Cincinnati (11–5) Pittsburgh (8–8) Baltimore (8–8) Cleveland (4–12)
2014 (3) Pittsburgh (11–5) (5) Cincinnati (10–5–1) (6) Baltimore (10–6) Cleveland (7–9)
2015 (3) Cincinnati (12–4) (6) Pittsburgh (10–6) Baltimore (5–11) Cleveland (3–13)
2016 (3) Pittsburgh (11–5) Baltimore (8–8) Cincinnati (6–9–1) Cleveland (1–15)
2017 (2) Pittsburgh (13–3) Baltimore (9–7) Cincinnati (7–9) Cleveland (0–16)
2018 (4) Baltimore (10-6) Pittsburgh (9–6–1) Cleveland (7–8–1) Cincinnati (6–10)

 

The NFC South's bottom feeder team has been consistently better, but the AFC North's top three have been consistently better.

Twice the AFC had 3 teams with winning records while the NFC had 1. Hardly consistently better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

i came GIF

I don't believe the words "I came" were needed in this GIF, we got the idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Twice the AFC had 3 teams with winning records while the NFC had 1. Hardly consistently better. 

6 times they had 2 teams with winning records vs. only 3 for the NFCS. Their #3 teams have a combined 60 wins vs. ours a combined 54. Clearly consistently better throughout the top 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I don't believe the words "I came" were needed in this GIF, we got the idea. 

you made me see that gif twice, once was enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't say Rivera > Tomlin.  But I will say Tomlin isn't as good as his record indicates.  I would also suggest that Rivera's record would be much closer to Tomlin if he has been hired at Pitt.  And Tomlin's record would be much closer to Rivera's if he had been hired in Carolina.

Steelers have been an excellent run organization from the top.  That has had a larger impact than anything, imo.  Where Rivera started off with a rookie QB, Tomlin came into a team much more veteran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

6 times they had 2 teams with winning records vs. only 3 for the NFCS. Their #3 teams have a combined 60 wins vs. ours a combined 54. Clearly consistently better throughout the top 3.

The strength of a division includes all 4 teams so here is how they stack up in number of wins by year.

Year...........AFCN..,............NFCS

2011............37..…..…..…......33

2012.............33...................34

2013.............31...................31

2014....….......38...................22

2015..............30...................36

2016...............26...................33

2017...…..........29...................37

2018................32...….............32

Total. ............  256...…..........268

 

So 2 times the AFC North won more games than the NFC South.  Whereas the south won 4 times and the South has an overall lead of 12 games yet the AFC North was better.

Funny what happens when you don't cherry pick stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, panthers55 said:

The strength of a division includes all 4 teams so here is how they stack up in number of wins by year.

Year...........AFCN..,............NFCS

2011............37..…..…..…......33

2012.............33...................34

2013.............31...................31

2014....….......38...................22

2015..............30...................36

2016...............26...................33

2017...…..........29...................37

2018................32...….............32

Total. ............  256...…..........268

 

So 2 times the AFC North won more games than the NFC South.  Whereas the south won 4 times and the South has an overall lead of 12 games yet the AFC North was better.

Funny what happens when you don't cherry pick stats.

Like I said, our bottom feeder has been consistently better than their bottom feeder. Their top three has been consistently better. Maybe we should argue about whose third string training camp punter is better next.

Straight up, anyone trying to argue that the NFC South has been consistently better than the AFC North over the past 8 years should just be disregarded along with anyone trying to suggest that Rivera might be better than Tomlin. 

Meanwhile, liquid water is wet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this thread was about aquiring McCoy. Wow how things change inside the huddle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Like I said, our bottom feeder has been consistently better than their bottom feeder. Their top three has been consistently better. Maybe we should argue about whose third string training camp punter is better next.

Straight up, anyone trying to argue that the NFC South has been consistently better than the AFC North over the past 8 years should just be disregarded along with anyone trying to suggest that Rivera might be better than Tomlin. 

Meanwhile, liquid water is wet.

 

Like you cherry picked to make your point.    Like offensive production is judged by total yards even though points matter, divisions are judged by the total wins not number of winning seasons or any other stats you want to make up. 

So the bottom line is our division won more games total and year by year comparisons. You can argue all day and still be wrong. Now back to the Gerald McCoy thread......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...