Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

trueblade

PI Review Rule not settled

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Don't drop it all. Get their ass in gear, fix the rule and let the plays be reviewable. Anything to keep the refs from deciding the games. This is a huge opportunity to move the sport forward and make a fairer game.

Do you really think Newton will get more calls that go his way? The same refs that looked the other way when he took head shot after head shot. It will hurt us more than help us. It will help Brees, Brady, Rodgers though.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just fire Clete Blakeman and you improve NFL officiating exponentially.

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hail Mary will be seen far more often now even before halftime. Why not just take a shot? Worst case is nothing. Best case has improved a ton because there’s always some sort of pushing on that play and if you get the review you’ll get a TD shot or a FG. Heck, you could be at your 10 yard line and have a chance at a long FG or a second Hail Mary with a penalty and a free down if time expires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The Hail Mary will be seen far more often now even before halftime. Why not just take a shot? Worst case is nothing. Best case has improved a ton because there’s always some sort of pushing on that play and if you get the review you’ll get a TD shot or a FG. Heck, you could be at your 10 yard line and have a chance at a long FG or a second Hail Mary with a penalty and a free down if time expires. 

I am already waiting to see what an unbelievable shitshow this is going to be. We are all aware at how ham-handed the NFL's attempts to roll out new rule enforcements typically are. Oh well, at the end of the day, you just hope we come out on the winning end of all of these BS calls that are about to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FakePlasticTrees said:

I think many offensive pass interference calls that have not been made in the past will end up being called by review officials.

I don't think you will see almost any OPI calls from reviews. The league has basically already decided in the past that OPI is not a priority. Points, points, points!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think you will see almost any OPI calls from reviews. The league has basically already decided in the past that OPI is not a priority. Points, points, points!!

Your point is one of the reasons why the league does not want to have this replay. The coaches pushed for it and review officials will not be able to ignore OPI like officials on the field have. This will likewise cause officials to start calling OPI more often.

In other words, this will end up being another "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". It might also benefit defense-minded teams and zone concepts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Your point is one of the reasons why the league does not want to have this replay. The coaches pushed for it and review officials will not be able to ignore OPI like officials on the field have. This will likewise cause officials to start calling OPI more often.

 In other words, this will end up being another "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". It might also benefit defense-minded teams and zone concepts.

I highly doubt that will happen, but we will see soon enough. My prediction is that it just turns into the "was it a catch or not a catch" nonsense we had to deal with for two seasons. I think you will see dramatic variations in what is called PI and what is not called PI in video reviews. 

It's already a pretty subjective call, much like holding on the offensive line, that could virtually be called on every passing play. If OPI is on the table, will there be reviews of illegal pick plays? Those are rampant in the NFL.

I just don't see a real way this doesn't turn into a complete nightmare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's the ticky tack PI calls and then there's the non call like in the Taints playoff game. I personally would be fuming if that had happened to the Panthers. It wasn't close, that was just flat out obvious and should have been a penalty. Just like if a guy trips over his own feet near a defender shouldn't be an automatic 35yd spot foul. Make PI a 10 yard penalty, no auto first down and move on. Sure they won't get it right all the time, but it would reduce the impact of a single play like a 60 yard hail mary at the end of halftime or the 4th hoping for a PI call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost completely stopped watching the NFL in the midst of the soap opera "Catch or Not a Catch."  I watched a total of about 3 games worth in 2017, and two of those were complete Panthers' games (last game of the year and the playoff game were televised here in the desert).

It was not the officials getting them right or wrong.  I can handle that.  The last straw was when I developed a keen ability to say "that was a catch/incomplete, but I know they are going to find a way to screw it up" when they went to instant replay.....and my assessment being correct well more than half the time.

I can think of two things more irritating than the on-field officials getting a call wrong.  The runner up is them getting it wrong and the call gets upheld on replay.  But the worst thing is them getting it right and replay overturning it.  That has happened far too often for my tastes and it will happen with this rule just as much as the catch/no catch debacles.

I have a saying that the worst thing you can do to anybody is give them exactly what they want.  This smells like another proof of that coming in 2019.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There's the ticky tack PI calls and then there's the non call like in the Taints playoff game. I personally would be fuming if that had happened to the Panthers. It wasn't close, that was just flat out obvious and should have been a penalty. Just like if a guy trips over his own feet near a defender shouldn't be an automatic 35yd spot foul. Make PI a 10 yard penalty, no auto first down and move on. Sure they won't get it right all the time, but it would reduce the impact of a single play like a 60 yard hail mary at the end of halftime or the 4th hoping for a PI call. 

Yeah but that also doesn't happen often. It was a clear miss but you don't fuging throw out all logic because one officiating crew completely boned that up. I'd be fuming too, same as I was after our SB and Cam getting shelled while the refs sat on their flags. Did I come in here crying that all roughing calls needed to be reviewed? No. 

Don't pander to some whiny fans in NO over a big blunder. Punish the officials involved accordingly and move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stbugs said:

The Hail Mary will be seen far more often now even before halftime. Why not just take a shot? Worst case is nothing. Best case has improved a ton because there’s always some sort of pushing on that play and if you get the review you’ll get a TD shot or a FG. Heck, you could be at your 10 yard line and have a chance at a long FG or a second Hail Mary with a penalty and a free down if time expires. 

I an see Belichik doing this (100% successful) or Sean Payton (60% successful) or Pete Carroll (50% successful) or the Jets (not successful lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...