Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

If we learned that Newton is indeed "sick of football"...

Just a tip...

Knowing personal details ruins things for people. Whether it be personal relationships, sports players, even actors.

Especially sensitive people.

Want to enjoy football ‘like you used to’?

Don't watch pre game or post game. Don’t read any news about players. Don’t even come here. Focus any interest on information (ex. stats). Finally, watch the game on mute. 

Welcome to the world of pure football.

(Knowing this is hypothetical)

I wouldn't blame any pro football player who decided to hang it up at this point. 

15 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Perhaps you should change the thread title to include "Hypothetical question" so there cant be doubt this is merely a "what if" question.

Technically, "if" is in the title.

But as I've mentioned before, if I'm starting a discussion thread, I don't necessarily like to tilt the conversation in a certain direction from the outset. That's why I rarely give my opinion up front.

I know some folks like to post "this is my opinion, deal with it" threads. I prefer to leave it open and see where it goes naturally.

Granted, some folks can't seem to grasp the concept :)

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think you realize you misunderstood the initial question and you're wriggling to get out of it.

You're free to do that, of course. I'll let you off the hook.

I understood it just fine.  I think it's silly speculate on how a man feels and doing so is irresponsible at best. 

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Pie 1

Just now, onmyown said:

Just a tip...

Knowing personal details ruins things for people. Whether it be personal relationships, sports players, even actors.

Don't watch pre game or post game. Don’t read any news about players. Don’t even come here. Focus any interest on information (ex. stats). Finally, watch the game on mute. 

I've been doing this for a couple of years now.  Makes the games watchable at least.  Definitely use the mute button.  I couldn't watch the Monday night game without it being muted.  I watched one series in the 4th quarter.  Couldn't tell what the score was or who was playing.

1 minute ago, CBDellinger said:

I understood it just fine.  I think it's silly speculate on how a man feels and doing so is irresponsible at best. 

Uh huh :eyeroll:

The vast majority of the discussion on this forum is speculation. Always has been.

And I don't really buy that you don't understand the nature of asking "what if".

Throw in that discussion on this forum doesn't exactly affect the direction of Western civilization, so... irresponsible? Come on. 

22 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The refs are the same they have always been, ie they are human.  They made mistakes back years ago, and they make the now.  There are two primary differences now.  1. The explosion of media (social and otherwise) means everything is hyper analyzed to the nth degree.  2.  The rules have become more and more complex.  Its far more difficult to figure out what a catch is, or if PI happens, etc....

I do think that one reason some are getting tired of football is that there is such a glut of it.  In the old days, football happened two days a week.  Saturday for college, Sunday for pros.  Now when in season, football only takes tuesday and wednesday off.  

The bold is one of the main reasons for me. 

I'm at the point I'm waiting for a player to make an acrobatic catch off balance, stumble 10-15 yds into the end zone, only to have it called incomplete because a possum was hiding behind the goal post.

6 minutes ago, 332nd said:

(Knowing this is hypothetical)

I wouldn't blame any pro football player who decided to hang it up at this point. 

Neither would I.

I don't blame guys when they sign free agent offers, I don't blame guys for trying to protect their health, and I sure as heck don't blame them for making the decision to walk away from a game they love because it's best for themselves or their families.

I don't think anybody should.

2 minutes ago, 332nd said:

The bold is one of the main reasons for me. 

I'm at the point I'm waiting for a player to make an acrobatic catch off balance, stumble 10-15 yds into the end zone, only to have it called incomplete because a possum was hiding behind the goal post.

Possums are tricky.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Uh huh :eyeroll:

The vast majority of the discussion on this forum is speculation. Always has been.

And I don't really buy that you don't understand the nature of asking "what if".

Throw in that discussion on this forum doesn't exactly affect the direction of Western civilization, so... irresponsible? Come on. 

Sorry man, i think its silly.  It's ok.  There's enough bandwidth for everyones opinions.

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've been doing this for a couple of years now.  Makes the games watchable at least.  Definitely use the mute button.  I couldn't watch the Monday night game without it being muted.  I watched one series in the 4th quarter.  Couldn't tell what the score was or who was playing.

There was a game a few years ago, during the height of the catch rule foolishness, that a guy made what looked like a clean catch.  There was no review.  The announcers went on for five minutes questioning why the challenge flag was not thrown, since the ball was clearly moving around in the receivers hands, so it had to be incomplete.

The only problem was it was in the middle of the field (so out of bounds was not an issue), the ball never touched the ground, nor was there any battle for possession with a defender.  I guess the TV producer finally told them they sounded like idiots, and they announced that, low and behold, the ball never touched the ground so it had to be complete.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Sorry man, i think its silly.  It's ok.  There's enough bandwidth for everyones opinions.

There are always things on a sports forum that are silly. I don't think this is one of them.

That said, you're correct that sports fans often lack balance.

You paid to watch your team and they sucked? Yeah, you have a right to be angry about that.

Management is running things poorly?  Sure, you're perfectly okay to criticize bad moves.

Talking back to a player who's acting like an a--hole on social media? Not my thing, but okay. I can understand on a certain level.

Attacking a player on social media because they made a bad play on Sunday.? Here's where you're starting to be a bit of a jerk.

Thinking that crimes should be covered over and victims should be marginalized just so a good player can help your team win football games? Okay, now you're approaching full-blown a--hole.

And yeah, being a jerk to a player for choosing to protect their own best interests?

Not cool at all.

Having your favorite team not be the best is not the Greek tragedy that some people make it out to be. When it comes to being upset about that, there's a line, and it shouldn't be crossed.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't even know the line exists, so they don't know when they cross it.

• Beer 1

If Mr. Scot didn’t feel the need to post every errant non-filtered thought running through his confused head:

What would you think?

Not a potshot, just asking hypothetically: what if?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

But are you sick of football in general or just sick of the way the Panthers have been run?

Sick of football period! I know most people don't believe in written endings, but money is heavily involved in the ruling of some games. Enough to influence a team to break. Too much to overcome. It just becomes more obvious now bc people now don't have to hide. Society accepts everything now.

28 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Just a tip...

You mean create in your mind your own version of football because watching it is worse than hearing it.