Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raleigh-panther

Interesting 3 rd mock

No sense in half-assing it and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either get our guy in round 1 (via trade up, if need be - Tua?) or sign a veteran placeholder and draft a QB early next year. The odds of any QB drafted in the 2nd/3rd round being significantly better than Kyle Allen are pretty low, unless we REALLY hit on a player.

Let's not forget we just used a 3rd rounder on Will Grier last year, and the early results were NOT promising.

44 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I would be expecting the #1 overall pick with that draft. Painful.

Well, hopefully that would signal the end of Marty because you know the 2021 draft would be a dupe of 2011. Newton, I mean Lawrence and nothing.

1 minute ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

No sense in half-assing it and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either get our guy in round 1 (via trade up, if need be - Tua?) or sign a veteran placeholder and draft a QB early next year. The odds of any QB drafted in the 2nd/3rd round being significantly better than Kyle Allen are pretty low, unless we REALLY hit on a player.

Let's not forget we just used a 3rd rounder on Will Grier last year, and the early results were NOT promising.

And there lies the problem.  To say Grier was a reach in the 3rd round would be an understatement.  It's still a debate who had the massive boner for Will, but either Hurney or the Turners put WAY too much value on him.  I have been on record many times saying I hated the pick at that point in the draft.

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

I think most of us would take Lawrence and nothing next year...

Still feel that way after getting exposed?  If he's available when our pick is there, sure, but like Burrow this draft, it's not worth mortgaging the future for one player.

1 hour ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

If we get Derrick Brown, I'd be thrilled. He's my choice for our pick at 7 - if he makes it that far. I think he's a game changer for our defense.

He's a strong, strong man. Super aware and holds the PoA super well which was. Easily one of, if not the biggest flaw last season as a defense. Like to see more from him as a rusher though.

For all the "WE NEED AN OLINE" guys and people who seem upset with taking Brown here, it's mind boggling how people don't want to address the run d.

I'm fairly confident Love will be the 4th QB off the board.  I can see a pre-draft shuffle if he gets super hyped due to his interviews and sheer potential.  His arm and mechanics are actually pretty legit, he just needs to become more of a field reader/field general.  He could get hyped past Herbert in which I think we'd be better off going for a top talent if Tua is gone round 1.  If we make a trade back with one of the 3 teams with 2 first rounders, then it could get interesting. 

1 minute ago, Rags said:

He's a strong, strong man. Super aware and holds the PoA super well which was. Easily one of, if not the biggest flaw last season as a defense. Like to see more from him as a rusher though.

For all the "WE NEED AN OLINE" guys and people who seem upset with taking Brown here, it's mind boggling how people don't want to address the run d.

WE NEED AN OLINE!!!

Now that that’s out of the way, as one of those guys, let me correct a mischaracterization within your post of the oline first position. Nowhere have I advocated for NOT fixing the dline. Nowhere have I said that our run D wasn’t horrible. What I have put forward is a very specific reason for why I think it’s more urgent to fix the oline before the dline, given that it’s hard to imagine we can fix both in a single offseason.

If the run D sucks next year that only impacts next year.

If the Oline sucks next year, it will get Cam or rookie X killed, and the consequences of that would stretch far beyond next year.

If DT is the pick just trade down a few picks and take Kinlaw. He and Brown are both monsters and we have a lot of needs. 

What about Fromm or Eason in the 2nd or 3rd? Both appear to be good with Fromm being a game manager type which isn't bad. 

1. Jerry Jeudy
2. Raekwon Davis
3. Albert Okwuegbunam

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Still feel that way after getting exposed?  If he's available when our pick is there, sure, but like Burrow this draft, it's not worth mortgaging the future for one player.

Exposed? LOL. 20 year old kid had a bad game. He’s beaten and undefeated OSU and Fields and Alabama and Tua the past two years and he’s exposed? These hot tales are hysterical. 29-1, won one NC and lost another NC as a true freshman and sophomore and the kid’s exposed?

3 minutes ago, Thompcat said:

What about Fromm or Eason in the 2nd or 3rd? Both appear to be good with Fromm being a game manager type which isn't bad. 

Game manager is great when you have the Ravens and Bears Defenses when they won, not the 31st ranked D.

2 minutes ago, Ratzer said:

1. Jerry Jeudy
2. Raekwon Davis
3. Albert Okwuegbunam

Based on BPA?  Outside of RB1, this is the least of our concerns.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Exposed? LOL. 20 year old kid had a bad game. He’s beaten and undefeated OSU and Fields and Alabama and Tua the past two years and he’s exposed? These hot tales are hysterical. 29-1, won one NC and lost another NC as a true freshman and sophomore and the kid’s exposed?

Yup.  I'm not going to get in a back and forth on this, but he's a really good system QB  in an elite college program.  He's going to see 31 other LSUs in the NFL where every team is stacked with 5-star/clue chip players.  Again, if he's available when we pick, I could be on board with it, but it's stupid to give up the farm for Burrow this draft and it would be stupid to do so for Trevor next year.