Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sean Payton's Vicodin

In this thread, argue why the pick SHOULDN'T be a lineman.

Well, there's still free agency, and the combine. Those two events really shape the draft quite a bit. We're talking about three or four prospective players right now, but in a few months it could easily be a different set of players entirely, with lineman falling out of the mix.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we have only 2 d lineman under contract right now.  Our best defensive player ever just retired.  Our secondary is horrible and our starting safety is a FA.

We tried to get olineman in the FA market last year and it failed horribly.  Its imperative we get some studs in the first couple of rounds in the draft.    By my count we need a starter at LT, LG, Center, RT.  Plus depth.

No way in hell this is a wildcard team

RT? Moton is the RT and has done a good job. Why would you replace him with an unproven draft pick?

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't say that. If nothing changes with the defensive roster we have the worst D in the league. Likely a historically terrible D.

why don't you play DT, you're good at using your position to end long runs

• Flames 3

14 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we have only 2 d lineman under contract right now.  Our best defensive player ever just retired.  Our secondary is horrible and our starting safety is a FA.

We tried to get olineman in the FA market last year and it failed horribly.  Its imperative we get some studs in the first couple of rounds in the draft.    By my count we need a starter at LT, LG, Center, RT.  Plus depth.

No way in hell this is a wildcard team

This is why I can't for the life of me understand how Hurney is still around. Sorry....my intent is not to have this devolve to a "bash Hurney" thread.

The guy's success rate in the draft is so awful, thus why we are in such dire straits from personnel standpoint. Hitting on 1....maybe 2 players out of 7-10 each year is what is putting our franchise behind the 8-ball. 

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't say that. If nothing changes with the defensive roster we have the worst D in the league. Likely a historically terrible D.

3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

why don't you play DT, you're good at using your position to end long runs

8C8D0DA5-E49C-442F-8725-BEAB8761745D.gif.c0612cb30c5082b386ffe83cde09a5f4.gif

Adios LG

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, the only way it shouldn't be a lineman is if it's a QB. I struggle to come up with a draft scenario that fails to have a lineman worthy of the pick there for the taking at #7.

There may be only two lineman worth taking in the first, especially that high.

----------------

You go with BPA all the way, regardless! 

• Pie 1

The best offensive lineman prospect in years is in next years draft class. The best QB prospect since Luck is in next years draft class. The drop off between Juedy and the next best WR isn't massive in this class. The drop off between Okuda and Fulton is pretty large. I think the drop off between Brown and the next best DT is pretty large. So I would go DT or Corner if you can get Brown or Okudah. 

If we are moving on from Cam you trade him for next years picks and trade back this year to get additional first round picks next year. If you could pull off dropping to 15-20 in this draft and get a first rounder next year and possible pull a second and third for Cam you could use those to move up next year and try to get three round one picks. Of those picks you could take a Lawrence/Fields and a combo deal of snagging Penei Sewell. Then you get your franchise QB and franchise LT in one draft. 

Will this happen? Not for the Carolina Panthers. Another team would try it but not us. 

For 25 years we have focussed on the Defensive side of the ball.  "Run the ball, stop the run" could just as easily have been the slogan of the Carolina Panthers, as the now familiar "Keep Pounding".  Hard-nosed football where 3 yards and a cloud of dust ruled the day and a punt was a good play.  With Hurney/Getts we've drafted 11 defensive players with our first pick.  Morgan/Pep/Gamble/Davis/Beason/Brown/Luke:crying:/Star/Shaq/Vern/Burns.  There you have it, 4 LBs, 3 DE's, 1 DB, 3 DT's.  You know what they say, "if it's not working, keep doing it until you get fired."

With so much attention to the Defense, what did they do with the Offense?  Ima tell ya.  Yaws jus sit on down, an I'lls tell ya story.  After assuming his (befuddling) role as GM, Hurney seemingly struck gold with his first draft trio of Morgan/Jenkins/Smith.  We would have to wait tho, until his 3rd draft to see him go Offense with the team's first pick.  From there it went like this; Gross/Williams/Stewart/Otah/Clausen/Cam/Benjamin/Christian/DJ.  2 OTs, 3 RBs, 2 QBs, 2 WRs.  QB1, CMC, Gross gets top billing, Clausen still makes me laugh, and yes...OTAH COST US 2 FIRSTS.

Hurney and Getts gave us this; 14 years of wuuut?, 3 years of fun, and 2 years of "MY EYES!!!  DEAR GOD MY EYES!!!"

Now if that excites you, congratulations, you'll love it here.  If you're like me, you'll resign yourself to knowing know matter who we draft 1st, rounds 2-7 will undoubtedly suck ass thru a straw. 

TLDR;    Why bother?  Hurney sux.

Edited by BurnHurnBurn

If the best players at the position are gone.. Meaning I'm not taking the 3rd or 4th best OT or DT .. Just to take a linemen 1st.. Or if the player at another position is a franchise building piece... Like Simmons,  or Okauda,...

Defensively there's a good case to be made that they should be the pick.

Offensively, lineman seldom warrant such a high pick, especially in the current NFL, especially in the interior where our need is greatest.

The two HAWG MOLLY teams that like to blow 1st round picks on offensive lineman every draft and get the forum draftniks in a tizzy over their wise and disciplined methodology both just missed the playoffs.

• Pie 1

Carolina isnt one player away.  they need multiple pieces.  Need to stock the cabinets again.  I really see them trading back and acquiring more picks.  If there is a qb there at #7, I think Carolina trades back with the colts picking up #13 and both their 2nds.

• Poo 1

It’s an easy argument, you don’t pick a lineman with a 88 grade over another position with a 92 grade(making up numbers here but gets the point across. 

Here is another way to think of it, think in terms of tiers.

Ignore the QBs,, there is one guy in tier one, Young.  Probably 3-5 guys in tier 2.  You don’t pass on a tier 2 guy to take a tier 3 lineman. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Carolina isnt one player away.  they need multiple pieces.  Need to stock the cabinets again.  I really see them trading back and acquiring more picks.  If there is a qb there at #7, I think Carolina trades back with the colts picking up #13 and both their 2nds.

I like it, but they won't get but one of the second rounders.  Still, that is one extra player

The boards are going to fluctuate a lot in the next 3 months