Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

2 hours ago, stirs said:

Generally you get relief if a guy retires, but once Hurney does his thing with restructures, you get screwed.  Live for today....

The major deadcap hits we have are because of Kalil (Hurney did not restructure) and Kuechly retiring.  Kuechly had 2 restructures that were desperately needed.  We were in cap hell, and no one had any inkling he was retire so soon.  He freed up 5.1m in 2018 and 7.24m in 2019 to increase future cap hits by 1.8m each.  Olsen retiring carries a smaller deadcap hit, while freeing up like 8 million.

Come on numbers guy.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

Don't quote me on this, but there were some rumblings that teams might have to spend money they have this year and won't be able to carry over funds because of the CBA expiring after the season and the threat of a lockout. 

No chance. Rolling over cap space is what’s created huge deals. NFLPA is certainly not going to want to stop that gravy train. Bad teams aren’t going to spend more on crappy players to stay bad.

3 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

The major deadcap hits we have are because of Kalil (Hurney did not restructure) and Kuechly retiring.  Kuechly had 2 restructures that were desperately needed.  We were in cap hell, and no one had any inkling he was retire so soon.  He freed up 5.1m in 2018 and 7.24m in 2019 to increase future cap hits by 1.8m each.  Olsen retiring carries a smaller deadcap hit, while freeing up like 8 million.

Come on numbers guy.

We weren’t in cap hell. We signed a bunch of FAs. We freed up money with Short this year and we used none of it. We rolled over more than we freed up, but we made it more expensive to lose Short. We could have released him for $4-5M less dead cap and instead we’ll spend even more to keep him this year. Effectively in rebuild mode we basically will spend another $20M in cap space on a 32 year old declining DT coming off a season ending injury. The restructuring’s didn’t really help us.

Olsen is a net positive. The $3M in dead cap also removes and $11M cap hit. It’s a net gain of $8M. People freak out about dead cap and forget about the net difference. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

We weren’t in cap hell. We signed a bunch of FAs. We freed up money with Short this year and we used none of it. We rolled over more than we freed up, but we made it more expensive to lose Short. We could have released him for $4-5M less dead cap and instead we’ll spend even more to keep him this year. Effectively in rebuild mode we basically will spend another $20M in cap space on a 32 year old declining DT coming off a season ending injury. The restructuring’s didn’t really help us.

Olsen is a net positive. The $3M in dead cap also removes and $11M cap hit. It’s a net gain of $8M. People freak out about dead cap and forget about the net difference

Short has nothing to do with our deadcap hit of next year.  I was responding to a person specifically talking about retiring players not making the deadcap hit less.

Olsen's hit I don't have an issue with.  Our deadcap comes from Kuechly and Kalil.  One was Gettleman's fault.  The other involved having to be a fortune teller to know Luke would decide to retire so early.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

That guy clearly doesn't want cam to be here

Agreed. 

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Bradberry. Gotta be honest, he strikes me as an average cornerback. ...I just don’t see him being worth a huge contract

...then again, Shaw struck me as a  very average linebacker that always  missed a tackle or got run over 

we overpaid for Tnompson and will probably franchise Bradberry  cha Ching 

Point being, I’d almost rather we become the Pats in our approach and unless they are not a blue chip player, no big contract and cut that blue chip player at peak vs two years past peak but now tied to a huge salary   Only way to sustain vs continuous rebuilds in the salary cap era 

I feel that’s what Gman was trying to do here. I could be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Short has nothing to do with our deadcap hit of next year.  I was responding to a person specifically talking about retiring players not making the deadcap hit less.

Olsen's hit I don't have an issue with.  Our deadcap comes from Kuechly and Kalil.  One was Gettleman's fault.  The other involved having to be a fortune teller to know Luke would decide to retire so early.

You said we had to restructure because we were in cap hell. That’s not true. We’ve thrown a lot of FA money at guys the past two years and rolled over money too. Short was another example of a restructure gone wrong. Unnecessary and will end up costing us way too much in a rebuilding year. Marty’s not good with the cap, simple as that.

Also, I’d rather have Luke, but our cap actually goes up without him by $3.7M.

Edited by stbugs

Wait so we're back to hyperventilating about "cap hell" and restructures, but another potential salary cap crippling RB contract is gravy? lol

Edited by TheRed

12 minutes ago, jbland said:

I feel that’s what Gman was trying to do here. I could be wrong. 

He was. I think he was way more willing to jettison someone before paying them a huge deal. The Pats get comp picks almost every year. Extra picks are extra darts. That’s why trade ups (and just plain reaches) can be dangerous if they don’t pan out. I hope we truly try a rebuild because we’ve got a lot of FAs that could net us a bevy of 2021 picks. Bradberry, Boston, McCoy, Irvin, Addison, Williams, Butler, Hogan, Wright, Cockrell and Van Roten. All of them could potentially net a 7th rounder at a minimum. Bradberry is very likely a 3rd. Maybe a 4th or 5th for McCoy/Addison/Butler.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Wait so we're back to hyperventilating about "cap hell" and restructures, but another potential salary cap crippling RB contract is gravy? lol

We’re so far from cap hell its not funny. If we decide to trade Cam, we’d have almost $60M in space.

We have plenty of money and will be done w dead money the next year, also Luke's contract will be free next year. We could technically spend a lot for free agency. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

You said we had to restructure because we were in cap hell. That’s not true. We’ve thrown a lot of FA money at guys the past two years and rolled over money too. Short was another example of a restructure gone wrong. Unnecessary and will end up costing us way too much in a rebuilding year. Marty’s not good with the cap, simple as that.

Also, I’d rather have Luke, but our cap actually goes up without him by $3.7M

Cap Hell isn't just cap space.  Its Cap Space + Your holes you need to fill.

60 mil tor a team lacking a starting QB on the roster, in addition to all the holes we have is not a lot of money at all.  Its rather a tight fit.

9 hours ago, jbland said:

Didn’t Cam just say he was going to be playing here? I don’t think there’s anymore “if”

Players always say that, it isn't their decision to make.

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I don't worry about Cap as much as others, but correct me if I am wrong:  We had an escape clause in Kalil's contract after 2 years---then he was extended my MH, making the rest practically guaranteed.  That alone should get Marty fired, if I am correct.

No it was an option bonus that if not taken meant his cap hit for that coming season went up 11m and it was still fully guaranteed. only thing using the option did was spread it out.  Hurney converted it from an option bonus to a regular bonus because it would be easier to get money back for injuries/retirement 

Edited by carpanfan96

11 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont think its his decision to make.

Hes literally said he had talked to Rhule, Hurney, and Tepper and hes excited to play as a panther next year. I think they enough for me to say hes gonna be here.

Edited by Matt62881