Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Scot

NFL: Two former Panthers staff find new jobs

As previously discussed but now officially confirmed, former Panthers intern Jennifer King will be joining the Redskins staff. Her duties will basically be that of an Assistant Runningback Coach. She won't get the official title, but she will get paid as a full time offensive assistant.

Another name you might know is joining the Viking. Minnesota has announced that Dom Capers has joined their staff under the title of Senior Defensive Assistant. That's probably a good idea since Mike Zimmer made his relatively inexperienced son Adam the "co-defensive coordinator" (however that's supposed to work).

• Pie 3

having dom capers as sort of a mentor/ a guy that can give advice here and there for your coaching staff is honestly a really cool move, more teams should do that kind of thing.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, beo said:

having dom capers as sort of a mentor/ a guy that can give advice here and there for your coaching staff is honestly a really cool move, more teams should do that kind of thing.

The expectation was that we were gonna do something like that. We didn't.

Dom is probably the only coach in Panthers history I've never hated lol.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I remember seeing him driving around in his Dodge Viper when I was a kid and I thought He was the coolest guy on the planet 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As previously discussed but now officially confirmed, former Panthers intern Jennifer King will be joining the Redskins staff. Her duties will basically be that of an Assistant Runningback Coach. She won't get the official title, but she will get paid as a full time offensive assistant.

That's very cool. Hopefully, she'll get a fare shake to rise up the coaching ranks. I always rooted for her when she interned here several years ago.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, tarheelpride said:

That's very cool. Hopefully, she'll get a fare shake to rise up the coaching ranks. I always rooted for her when she interned here several years ago.

I hope so as well. One thing that works in her favor is just how brutally competitive the NFL is. Head coaches who make these hiring and promotion decisions simply cannot afford to hire or promote anyone but the best candidate or they risk losing a competitive advantage relative to other teams. If she’s genuinely the best option, she should get opportunities.

The flaw with what I just said is it’s inherent assumption that NFL head coaches always make rational decisions when it comes to hiring and promoting. You’d think given recent local experience I’d know better so I guess call me an optimist.

52 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I hope so as well. One thing that works in her favor is just how brutally competitive the NFL is. Head coaches who make these hiring and promotion decisions simply cannot afford to hire or promote anyone but the best candidate or they risk losing a competitive advantage relative to other teams. If she’s genuinely the best option, she should get opportunities.

The flaw with what I just said is it’s inherent assumption that NFL head coaches always make rational decisions when it comes to hiring and promoting. You’d think given recent local experience I’d know better so I guess call me an optimist.

You mean hiring your son as co-defensive coordinator is not based on rational thinking :D

Edited by Thorrez
  • Pie 1

11 hours ago, KillerKat said:

I met Capers, Fox, and Rivera.  I liked Capers, but he was all business--nice, but not too interactive. 

I used to attend the OTAs and actually used to chat with Fox---he was a great guy--a guy you would love to have over for poker and a few laughs. We used to exchange one liners.  I got him good one day---He said, "you all have a nice summer."  I said, "you have a nice fall."  He was walking away, stopped started smiling, and came back to where we were standing.  And he said, "If we don't have a nice summer, we aren't having a nice fall."  So I said, "There for a minute, I thought you were coming back here to offer me a contract."  He died laughing at that.  I did not think it was that funny. 

The next year I said to him (we used to go 1 time each year) "Coach Fox, do you really believe a punt is a good play?"  He replied, "Sure it is.  Field position is how you win games."  I replied, "then perhaps you should run it more often."  He just shook his head like he pitied me. Then he said, "Aren't you the guy who gave me a hard time last year?"  I replied, "Yes.  Just give me a contract, and all this harassment will be over"  He said, "So would my career."

• Pie 3

17 hours ago, KillerKat said:

I started to get annoyed with his constant "note taking" on the sidelines while the team was getting blown out in his last two years. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, KillerKat said:

He was the only coach we had that actually lost his locker room, his team. He never had the pulse of the players. We started out with all the gusto of a new franchise, a 2nd chance for many veterans, but he couldn't hold the team together once that wore off. 

Side Note: One of the guys we interviewed for our QB Coach spot is now taking Joe Brady's old job at LSU.

Looks like one of our other candidates got a job too. The Jags are naming Ben McAdoo their QB coach.

Mike McCoy is still unemployed.

Still shocked that with the experienced choices we had, we opted for Jake Peetz.

• Pie 1

TBH these female coach hires seem like more PR than anything. They love to get them in camera shots and say "first ____". I have nothing against these women, to me the NFL is just using them to look progressive.