Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Ja  Rhule

Jameis Winston underwent LASIK surgery to repair his vision

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It blows my mind that the dude chose to play football without being able to see for poo. Why?

Then again, maybe his vision wasn't that bad and his agent told him, "Look man, we gotta do something for me to try to be able to explain why you threw it to the wrong fuging team 30 times last season."

Well as I understand it, not only does your vision have to be so bad but you also have to be a certain age. My ex was blind as a bat but didn’t qualify until she hit her early 30s for whatever reason.

Edited by onmyown

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

1) no, it’s unconfortable for 5-15 minutes per eye though. More liked an irritated itch than pain. LASIK is about 10-15 minutes per eye, PRK is like 5 minutes per eye. 

2) lasik was a few days of having to wear shades always and liberally applying eye drops. PRK is supposedly quite a bit longer, 2 or 3 weeks I think I heard. 

3) for me? Zero dollars. I’m in the military heh

the two best things about it are no more for itchy and dry eyes from wearing contacts and no more migraines from wearing glasses, which I almost never wore because of the migraines (as well as no more periods of near blindness when I have to take my contacts out).

My eyes are now like there was never anything wrong with them. Perfect vision, no maintenance or anything, no discomfort, the impact it’s had on my quality of life is almost indescribable. There are three events in my life that utterly changed everything for me forever: marriage, birth of first kid, lasik.  

PRK hurts like a mother and your eyes are super sensitive for about a day. after that, it’s all good.

I've never worn glasses but about 18 years ago it got to where I couldn't read graphics on tv from across the room. So my wife and I got Lasik the same day. She had worn thick glasses so she was thrilled. It was great for me too. The only tradeoff was my near vision was degraded a little. Although I can still read, I use reading glasses for long reads. Still glad I did it.

9 hours ago, CmC2k said:

I agree that it's good that he got his vision fixed but why would you wait until the end of your 5th year in the league to get it done?

Because dumb.

9 hours ago, The Huddler said:

1) does it hurt

2) how long is recovery

3) how much is it $$$

im strongly considering.  glasses and contacts will not last in the apocalypse

1) Per other poster - you'll be asleep after the surgery for about 24 hours because of the drugs (ask for them!) but when you wake up it might feel like you've got sand in your eyes for a day.  It passes and you'll hardly notice because you'll be 20/15.

2) See above.  The flap will never heal but it is not a problem.  It will only be an issue if years down the road new procedures become available or if you decide to have an enhancement.  Most doctors will not re-lift a flap if it's more than a few weeks old.  Some will.  If you're concerned about the flap get PRK but recovery is days to week+.

3) Depends on your manifest (prescription) but typically budget between $1,500 and $2,000 per eye despite the low cost advertising - basically you'll only get a $600 Lasik if you don't actually need lasik.  

4) There is a new (recently FDA approved) procedure called SMILE that can only be performed by a specific machine (Ziess is currently the only one with FDA approval in the US).   Normal Lasik requires a femtosecond laser to cut the flap and an excimer laser to ablate the cornea - SMILE does away with the excimer and is supposed to be even less painful.  Drawback is that it can't do everything that an excimer laser can do and outcomes are not quite as good.   

5) Don't have it if you are planning on getting pregnant as pregnancy will often change your prescription.

6) There is a new procedure on the horizon but still years away that uses a femtosecond laser to create a grid pattern on your cornea.  It doesn't actually ablate (remove) an organic material but the grid pattern will change the way light travels through your eye and thus your vision (it changes your refractive index).  It doesn't require flaps or ablation so it's kind of the "holy grail" of the industry.   I wouldn't wait for it - it's been under development for 10+ years with seemingly very little progress.

• Beer 2

Also for those 20 and 30 somethings considering Lasik ...

What you don't know (yet) is that as you get older you will have other, unrelated vision issues with the big 2 being :

1) presbyopia - you won't be able to focus crisply on anything closer than 2 feet away without reading glasses

2) dry eye - especially for those of you that have been staring at a screen since you were 6 years old.

When you start to experience these things remember it has nothing to do with your lasik - your lasik didn't cause it and it's not because your lasik is "degrading".  It's because your getting old and that sucks in multiple ways.

• Beer 2

How hard would it have been to just wear contacts?  When you squint you can see better, but your field of vision is greatly reduced.  

7 hours ago, DamnItJake! said:

Da ball worked good at FSU not NFL!! Imagine that

Eh, Winston was known to be poor with ball security in college as well.  I know Jake broke down at the end due to injuries, but he did attribute some of his early success to having lasik surgery as well while he was with the saints.

Maybe now he'll be able to see the the discomfort in women's faces when he's around them and keep his hands to himself. 

14 hours ago, Borat said:

He wants the righty – the vile thing! The grab your throat and choke thing!

Blow it out your ass, lard mouth.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, ok2h8pep said:

Also for those 20 and 30 somethings considering Lasik ...

What you don't know (yet) is that as you get older you will have other, unrelated vision issues with the big 2 being :

1) presbyopia - you won't be able to focus crisply on anything closer than 2 feet away without reading glasses

2) dry eye - especially for those of you that have been staring at a screen since you were 6 years old.

When you start to experience these things remember it has nothing to do with your lasik - your lasik didn't cause it and it's not because your lasik is "degrading".  It's because your getting old and that sucks in multiple ways.

Yea good point bringing up the age. I didn’t think to mention when I got it I was 32 and my eye doctor said I was right in the sweet spot for lasik. 

• Beer 1

Does LASIK fix color blindness?

i mean, he throws to the wrong color a lot,..

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, JARROD said:

Does LASIK fix color blindness?

i mean, he throws to the wrong color a lot,..

No, unfortunately Lasik does not fix stupid at this time.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, The Huddler said:

awesome ill do this eventually

I'd go ahead and get a consultation to make sure you are a good candidate. Some people are not.

Additionally, waiting for it will basically lessen the benefits to an extent. Not dealing with glasses or contacts is actually a pretty big financial boost.

I am super glad that I did it, even though I had to have touch up because they goofed it up the first time. Ended up with 20/13 vision.