Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Skack25

Marriage Counseling

Without getting into too much detail, my wife and I will be starting marriage counseling very soon.  Interested to hear from others who have been through it or are going through it.  Successes, failures, what to expect, etc.

We tried it, briefly. Maybe half a dozen sessions.

I wasn't impressed, but I didn't expect much going onto it.

It is awkward as hell, and I felt like the (female) counselor tended to disregard my point of view and show bias in favor of my wife because she empathized with female perspective.

I guess the biggest success is that we learned to communicate, at least a little, better.

Marriage is hard as poo. But if you care enough to make it work, it will work.

Posted (edited)

The wife and I did it and while I wont say it was the sessions themselves that saved the marriage I will say they gave us the tools to still be together and happy 18 years later.

We each saw separate counselors and about once a month I would go with her to her counselor and she would go with me to mine. That kept either one of us from feeling like we were ganged up on. Probably did it for 6 months or so. 

Don't know if insurance would pay for that today.

Edited by Inimicus

Posted (edited)

Did an internship in clinical with these type issues sprinkled in. From my observations counseling for me would always be a waste of money. I say that because all it does in all I saw  is help people be honest with themselves. The types of people and types of problem either mix in a way that things can be fixed, or they can’t. Truth really is black and white. The grey area in between is simply people learning to be honest with themselves which can take time but the truth always ‘sets you free’.

I think deep down people know whether they can get over the issue, talk through it, willing to learn skills to get over it or not. Too many people already know the answer to that, no need to waste money and someone else’s time, I’d suggest you go with what you already know, and ask your partner to do the same.

Edited by onmyown

My wife wanted to do it, but I told her no way.  She is now my ex-wife. LOL

Don't want to scare you, but I did marriage counseling and I'm divorced now.  

I've been considering it. I'm on my 5th marriage and I think I need some serious help. Who the fug in their right mind would get married 5 times?

Oh, you meant married couples... sorry. Forget what I said.

It all depends on the counselor...some are good others are flat out terrible.

Good luck man. I have a close friend having marital issues right now, probably magnified by the pandemic situation. He's been doing virtual counseling appointments with his wife, not sure if it's helping. Really sucks because they just had a baby last year too.