Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
panther4life

Person “Rhule was open to and eager to trade down in first”

A new era is here my frens.

I believe Hurney and Rhule will turn things around here. The communication between them and Rhule having a concrete vision with rebuilding skills, we will prob be back in the playoffs as soon as next year.

IMG_20200420_184825.thumb.jpg.070e503c102dc6dca373f166a0490951.jpg

So for all those saying this was Rhules draft look no further. Hurney over ruled Rhule. Expect a typical hurney draft this year. 

• Poo 1

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I remember someone during the draft saying everytime a pick is made Hurney leaves the room, saying that  was evidence that he was not in charge.  I pointed out what you just said at the time

I mean, the story literally mentions Hurney making the decision to stay at 7 for Brown, so I don't know what more people want. Hurney is our GM, for better or worse. It is what it is. 

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

So for all those saying this was Rhules draft look no further. Hurney over ruled Rhule. Expect a typical hurney draft this year. 

Say what you want but this draft has Rhules fingerprints all over it especially after the first round.  It does not look like a Hurney draft to me.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, chknwing said:

we thought Tepper and Rhule liked Cam as well.  Just saying.

it’s great we don’t have an owner and coach who get emotionally attached to individual players despite the team

we had 25 years of that already

just saying 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Say what you want but this draft has Rhules fingerprints all over it especially after the first round.  It does not look like a Hurney draft to me.

He obviously had input but none of us are ever going to know what picks were more Hurney than Rhule or more Rhule than Hurney. What we know is that Hurney obviously still had a lot of input, which should concern most Panther fans. 

14 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Because we have a new coach and a new philosophy.

Posted (edited)

I’m glad Brown was the pick. As others have stated, trading back would not have been worth it, considering who would have been available. Marty’s knowledge and experience here paid off and the correct decision was made.

I also disagree with Rhule not having a major influence and guidance on this draft. The players selected and the lack of overreaching selections or trades that bring back less value points to that.

Marty is unbeatable in Round 1, but after that he is downright horrible. This draft did not resemble a typical Hurney draft and I think we all have Rhule to thank for that. 

There definitely seems to be a cohesion between them and I’m here for it.

Edited by Soul Rebel
  • Pie 2

The point of sharing this was more so to share that Hurney’s future appears more secure than Hurney haters have tried to wish themselves into not happening. Not about some power struggle or who to blame or praise in the future. 

For better or worse, Rhule and Hurney together are shaping the future of this franchise. It’s a Collaborative effort as it should be. I think Tepper is involved as well but in a different manner than JR was. JR would literally have to meet the first round pick before the GM was allowed to take him and there’s other evidence that his opinion was the driving force in other critical times in the franchise. Tepper seems to offer more resources and meddles less with roster and coaching decisions. 

Never in history I do believe Hurney has ever gone into any draft and drafted players without the consent of the head coach. . It’s more about how the 2 of them are clearly on the same page and working in unison. 

Look back at former pressers and both the head coach and Hurney can answer questions about prospects selected and you can tell both are well informed on the prospect’s selected and others who were up for discussion.

I’m excited and optimistic we finally have the perfect trifecta of Owner, GM and Head coach. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

In this case, Hurney was a smart man, and his history of first round picks warranted listening to him.

But his history of drafting DTs is suspect at best.  I always suspect Hurney's motivation--here are my concerns about trusting MH:

1.  Brown was his best chance to produce another first round success story.

2.  Trading back would possibly throw him into the "OT is the BPA" range, and he would then have to draft a T and admit Little was a bad pick or not draft a top T and have everyone second guessing him when Okung goes down and Little trots out to protect Bridgewater's blind side.

3. Marty knows his track record for drafting DT, and the DTs after Brown are far from the slam dunk Brown will become.  Knowing his need to take 2 DTs in the draft, and knowing that he has never really picked a good DT---ever---Marty went for the only sure thing.

4. Marty's contract is up for renewal.  Making a trade is riskier than not making a trade.  A trade back might not have worked out-sealing Marty's fate.

I am not endorsing these points, but I am saying they might have crossed my mind.

So I always wonder if Marty is hiding weaknesses or helping develop strengths.  I like Brown--that was the right move---but Marty has gotten panicked in the past when his job was on the line.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

But his history of drafting DTs is suspect at best.  I always suspect Hurney's motivation--here are my concerns about trusting MH:

1.  Brown was his best chance to produce another first round success story.

2.  Trading back would possibly throw him into the "OT is the BPA" range, and he would then have to draft a T and admit Little was a bad pick or not draft a top T and have everyone second guessing him when Okung goes down and Little trots out to protect Bridgewater's blind side.

3. Marty knows his track record for drafting DT, and the DTs after Brown are far from the slam dunk Brown will become.  Knowing his need to take 2 DTs in the draft, and knowing that he has never really picked a good DT---ever---Marty went for the only sure thing.

4. Marty's contract is up for renewal.  Making a trade is riskier than not making a trade.  A trade back might not have worked out-sealing Marty's fate.

I am not endorsing these points, but I am saying they might have crossed my mind.

So I always wonder if Marty is hiding weaknesses or helping develop strengths.  I like Brown--that was the right move---but Marty has gotten panicked in the past when his job was on the line.

I read things like this all the time...why is this such a prominent narrative on these boards that Hurney would never admit he made a mistake on a pick? Even suggesting that he would willfully sabotage our team by neglecting a certain position, just to avoid the implication that he made a mistake. How does that make sense that he wouldn’t want to admit Little was a mistake when he literally just traded for Okung? Little was supposed to be our LT and he traded for an LT...?

Are we talking about the same guy who supposedly fell on the sword for Rivera so that he would take the fall and Rivera could keep his job? That’s the guy who would never admit to making a mistake?

• Pie 1

I think once Rhule and company saw Brown get stonewalled in the Bama game they thought about trying to trade down if Brown were there.

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Even suggesting that he would willfully sabotage our team by neglecting a certain position, just to avoid the implication that he made a mistake. How does that make sense that he wouldn’t want to admit Little was a mistake when he literally just traded for Okung? Little was supposed to be our LT and he traded for an LT...?

Are we talking about the same guy who supposedly fell on the sword for Rivera so that he would take the fall and Rivera could keep his job? That’s the guy who would never admit to making a mistake?

In my opinion--and that is the key phrase (based on no more info than anyone else has)--Marty has already made stupid moves when his job was on the line.  Everette Brown rings a bell--Clausen, Edwards, Norwood--what was that?

You nor I know what goes through a head when a person makes a decision--when your job is on the line, your brain acts differently than when you are secure (see amygdala, hippocampus, limbic system---basically, the elements of survival or defense mode).  It is a natural human response and everyone experiences it to some degree.  So, if Marty felt anxiety about his job and the first round ticked down to #7, it is reasonable to have those kinds of thoughts cross your mind. Especially when he is making a pick at a position where he has NEVER found a keeper.  Imagine a baseball player stepping into the box vs. a pitcher he has faced for 10 years and never got a hit.  You think thoughts like that do not cross his mind?  Human nature.  Not only did Marty know this, I knew it too--that explains my reasoning for speculating.

I even posted "I am not endorsing these points, but they crossed my mind."  You see, desperate people do desperate things, and if MH is feeling heat, the things I mentioned could have crossed his mind too.  It would have been natural to have those kinds of thoughts.  Marty is human.

6 hours ago, ecu88 said:

A new era is here my frens.

I believe Hurney and Rhule will turn things around here. The communication between them and Rhule having a concrete vision with rebuilding skills, we will prob be back in the playoffs as soon as next year.

IMG_20200420_184825.thumb.jpg.070e503c102dc6dca373f166a0490951.jpg

Can we Ban this pic?

6 hours ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

I don't have to say anything. The article is proof Hurney shut Rhule down to pick his guy. This is Hurneys draft.