Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse

Kuechly officially joins staff as pro scout

One other note...

Glad he didn't go into broadcasting. I just can't see that working.

Greg Olsen has the personality you need for a job like that. I just don't think Luke would have fit that role.

• Pie 4

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other note...

Greg Olsen has the personality you need for a job like that. I just don't think Luke would have fit that role.

For casual fans no. Luke is knowledge, not personality.

For hardcore football fanatics? I’d personally love to hear his takes, but I’m not interested in personality.

Just think how many bozos broadcasting now that you wish even a smidgen of knowledge.

Corse there’s always the perfect ones with both, like Romo. But they’re rare.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There will be a few differences in what Kuechly will be looking for on film in his new gig. As a player, his studying mostly focused on trying to dissect an upcoming opponent's possible game plan.

"You were always looking at schemes and tendencies and where you think a team is going to attack you on the defensive side of the ball," Kuechly said.

And now …

"I think it'll be different in the sense that we're not necessarily looking for scheme as we are players," Kuechly continued. "Are the players good? What's their skillset? What are they good at? What are they not good at?

Luke is such a football genius I think he will do player eval and be able to add some scheme and tendencies...he can't help it. It is what he likes to do. He will be awesome.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not to be a downer, but before we hand him the GM job, let's remember a thing or two.

GMs negotiate contracts. Can you picture Luke doing that?

Kuechly doing anything related to personnel evaluation - heck, Kuechly being the top guy over all personnel evaluation - not hard to see. That puts him as something like a Vice President of Player Personnel.

But a full blown GM? Do we know if he'd even want a job like that?

Let's not put him in the captain's chair just yet.

Luke: Now Steve, you noticed I called you last night at 8:30 asking if you had heard from your agent. Here's a photo of him at 8:27 at a hotel bar negotiating closing a deal with one of the lovely ladies instead of worrying about your future and the 8 times you called him last night. Is that the kind of agent you want taking 15% of that 4yr/60m contract youre asking for? 

Steve: WTF. You're fired.

Luke: Now, how about we go with a 4yr/52m deal, add in a new SUV for the pregnant wife, I got a friend at your wife's OBGYN, and let's get this done and go win some Superb Owls.

Steve: former pro scout indeed

Posted (edited)

Luke is going to cure Civid19 and magically somehow identify and banish any overzealous, power hungry, violent, corrupt police. And we all live happily ever after.

btw: very happy to have him remaining with the organization.

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

The fact that Luke is staying with the Panthers in any capacity is a very good thing

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

The Firm doing work.

Another PM gets a seat at the table.

The long awaited GM in waiting is now in the house...

VIVE LE PANTHERS!

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not to be a downer, but before we hand him the GM job, let's remember a thing or two.

GMs negotiate contracts. Can you picture Luke doing that?

Kuechly doing anything related to personnel evaluation - heck, Kuechly being the top guy over all personnel evaluation - not hard to see. That puts him as something like a Vice President of Player Personnel.

But a full blown GM? Do we know if he'd even want a job like that?

Let's not put him in the captain's chair just yet.

Exactly. 

I can't even imagine the threads that would spring up calling him incompetent, stupid,  and all other things that get said by our fans about our Gm's after an off draft pick, or a losing season. It's hard to think people would say those things about 59, but we all know they would. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other note...

It was kind of like his security commercials.  Almost you could tell he was reading his lines.  He was a great player but would have been average announcer.

I definitely believe he would be an amazing GM once he learns the ropes on contract negotiations.  He may be able to see things in players that are major faults at the next level and not by into the hype that surrounds players coming into the draft.

It's all a bit early but I could see it happen.  John Lynch has done an amazing job in SF (at least to date) and Luke is taking his time which IMO will only make him better.

This is more of a question.  After the season, I would think he would be in the reviewing process of potential draft picks.  This is where I think he'll help the team improve each year.  Helping find those hidden gems and clearing through the smoke on some overrated players.  Do you agree?

9 hours ago, jfra78 said:

He will be scouting upcoming teams and player evaluations.  This is more in line with coaching than GM duties

It’s a start

Nothing cooler than Keuchly on our team. This is awesome, so glad he’s still a part.

This is great news!  I have no doubt he's going to do great in the role.  Now we have two Panther's greats that have retired and kept on with the organization.   Heck, even Chase Blackburn stayed on....not to equate him with Mills and Luke.

Based on the description of the role, it sounds like this is a stepping stone down the coaching path. He's such a student of the game, I have no doubt that he would be right at home coming up with defensive looks to counter offensive schemes, and eventually developing an entire defensive playbook. I expect in a couple years he's an assistant D Coord, and then probably skipping the position coach role and landing a DC role somewhere.

Probably Buffalo the way things have been going.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Based on the description of the role, it sounds like this is a stepping stone down the coaching path. He's such a student of the game, I have no doubt that he would be right at home coming up with defensive looks to counter offensive schemes, and eventually developing an entire defensive playbook. I expect in a couple years he's an assistant D Coord, and then probably skipping the position coach role and landing a DC role somewhere.

Probably Buffalo the way things have been going.

I think he would make an excellent defensive coordinator but I also believe he might be a great talent scout and eventual GM.