Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

Anyone else excited for Baseball?

I have never been too interested in MLB but the lack of sports this year has me foaming at the mouth.

Go Rays.

Boring is still boring.

I like baseball movies, because they boil baseball down to the bits where something actually happens.

If you want to follow baseball, all you have to do is watch the Sportscenter highlights from each game. They will show all of the action that matters and leave out the 98% of the game that was irrelevant to the outcome and boring af.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Boring is still boring.

I like baseball movies, because they boil baseball down to the bits where something actually happens.

If you want to follow baseball, all you have to do is watch the Sportscenter highlights from each game. They will show all of the action that matters and leave out the 98% of the game that was irrelevant to the outcome and boring af.

I get where you are coming from, but baseball is a different kind of watch. It isn't like the NFL. It's more of a casual bullshit with your friends in the garage and drink beers as you look up and see the score every once in a while kind of watch 

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I get where you are coming from, but baseball is a different kind of watch. It isn't like the NFL. It's more of a casual bullshit with your friends in the garage and drink beers as you look up and see the score every once in a while kind of watch 

Which is why once every five years or so I can tolerate going to a game irl and enjoy sitting in the stadium on a nice day. But one of the things I've noticed when I have conversations about watching baseball in person with baseball fans is they always talk about the totality of the experience.

"Oh it's not just the game. It's the smell of the grass and the fresh roasted peanuts. It's hearing the beer guy yell as he walks up and down the rows. It's the fresh air and the sunshine, etc. etc. etc."

Great, so what you're telling me is that the game itself,  the ostensible reason i'm there, isn't compelling enough to be worth it on it's own. Why exactly is this something I should be interested in again? 

Also I get where you are coming from, but I also happen to be someone for whom the casual bullshit while doing other things bit isn't my cup of tea. People who "sort of" watch a movie while chit chatting with friends or texting on their phone or doing whatever, are the bane of my existence. Either watch the movie or don't watch the movie. Doing a bunch of things at once when one of them is typically something most people would focus on to get the full experience of to me makes that one thing just pointless and irrelevant. If I'm watching a game, be it football or basketball or whatever, I'm watching the game. That's my focus.

As always ymmv.

Edited by 1of10Charnatives
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I'm excited. Having a day game on with a few bucks on draft kings is so relaxing. MLB usually has great announcers. I will get the MLB package as I usually do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just because I don't have NCAA basketball or NFL doesn't mean watching grass grow suddenly becomes more entertaining.

58 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Which is why once every five years or so I can tolerate going to a game irl and enjoy sitting in the stadium on a nice day. But one of the things I've noticed when I have conversations about watching baseball in person with baseball fans is they always talk about the totality of the experience.

"Oh it's not just the game. It's the smell of the grass and the fresh roasted peanuts. It's hearing the beer guy yell as he walks up and down the rows. It's the fresh air and the sunshine, etc. etc. etc."

Great, so what you're telling me is that the game itself,  the ostensible reason i'm there, isn't compelling enough to be worth it on it's own. Why exactly is this something I should be interested in again? 

Also I get where you are coming from, but I also happen to be someone for whom the casual bullshit while doing other things bit isn't my cup of tea. People who "sort of" watch a movie while chit chatting with friends or texting on their phone or doing whatever, are the bane of my existence. Either watch the movie or don't watch the movie. Doing a bunch of things at once when one of them is typically something most people would focus on to get the full experience of to me makes that one thing just pointless and irrelevant. If I'm watching a game, be it football or basketball or whatever, I'm watching the game. That's my focus.

As always ymmv.

I think if you played baseball the experience is different than the casual fan. There are intricacies to the game that the casual fan might miss.  I was a pitcher in hs and college so I watch what they do pretty intently. Although I stopped watching the game the past several seasons because of all the cheating, I’ll probably watch this year.

No. I'm a sports fan. Baseball is a less athletic version of bowling.

• Pie 1

If baseball was never played again on any level, I would honestly struggle to notice.

• Beer 2

They cancelled baseball, i didn't notice.  They brought it back and didn't notice. 

• Pie 3

Heck yeah I am. I normally don’t watch it a ton until the playoffs but dear lord there’s nothing on and my youngest is still into baseball so we’ll watch.

i would sooner watch nascar.  Baseball and the wnba are pretty even

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I think if you played baseball the experience is different than the casual fan. There are intricacies to the game that the casual fan might miss.  I was a pitcher in hs and college so I watch what they do pretty intently. Although I stopped watching the game the past several seasons because of all the cheating, I’ll probably watch this year.

I played growing up and I like playing it but not watching it. I can watch it but unless it is my team and a meaningful game it gets boring after a while. But that is just me.