Sign in to follow this  
NAS

Byron Leftwich or Joe Brady

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Too early to say man. 

Leftwitch has a couple years of mediocre results under his belt

Brady has one game.

Lord knows

The #1 passing offense and #3 overall offense was a mediocre result??? Sign me up for mediocrity!

I will accept the criticism that perhaps Arians is the real brains of that offense but to say they didn't do well offensively in 2019 is a joke. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The #1 passing offense and #3 overall offense was a mediocre result??? Sign me up for mediocrity!

I will accept the criticism that perhaps Arians is the real brains of that offense but to say they didn't do well offensively in 2019 is a joke. 

I meant mediocre as in overall as an average I guess. I mean he's only been an O-Coordinator for what 2 years not even?

Maybe mediocre is the wrong word, because he didn't get a fair shake in Arizona, so far it looks good, but again, too early to tell. 

22 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I meant mediocre as in overall as an average I guess. I mean he's only been an O-Coordinator for what 2 years not even?

Maybe mediocre is the wrong word, because he didn't get a fair shake in Arizona, so far it looks good, but again, too early to tell. 

Well he was also working with a QB who has proved to be a dumpster fire. 

Edit: Talking about Rosen, not Winston.

Edited by kungfoodude

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Passing isn’t everything. How much of that was garbage time or playing catch-up because of how bad their D has been? Their rushing attack has been one of the worst in the league and they had 41 giveaways, by far the most in the league. Laugh at Winston for the picks but they’re not all on him and people can’t ignore that his arm talent was a huge reason they led the league in passing yards, along with a stacked receiver group. Leftwich really hasn’t been all that impressive to me. That offense didn’t pass the eye test of having any great scheming or situational play calling. It was just Winston throwing deep to a ton to skilled receivers.

This year will show a lot about Arians/Leftwich—they will need to make serious adjustments to the offense for Brady or it won’t work out well at all. Got off to a terrible start...

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

Passing isn’t everything. How much of that was garbage time or playing catch-up because of how bad their D has been? Their rushing attack has been one of the worst in the league and they had 41 giveaways, by far the most in the league. Laugh at Winston for the picks but they’re not all on him and people can’t ignore that his arm talent was a huge reason they led the league in passing yards, along with a stacked receiver group. Leftwich really hasn’t been all that impressive to me. That offense didn’t pass the eye test of having any great scheming or situational play calling. It was just Winston throwing deep to a ton to skilled receivers.

This year will show a lot about Arians/Leftwich—they will need to make serious adjustments to the offense for Brady or it won’t work out well at all. Got off to a terrible start...

Keep in mind that you are describing what will be said about this year's Panthers offense. Having to play catch up will also limit the rushing offense, as you are well aware. 

You won't get me to defend that Arians offense. I've been skewering it from one end to the other all week(and beyond). I won't pass judgement on Leftwich until he is removed from the Bruce Arians coaching staff. Let's see what he is able to implement elsewhere and that will tell the full story. Sort of like how one of our prospective head coaching candidates got a lot of shade thrown his way for being an OC under Andy Reid. Once you see them operating outside of the coach that gets credit for designing the offense or calling plays, you will know more about what they are.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

They had a top 6 defense last year.  Winston passed for more than 5,000 yards and they were competitive in most of their games.  Winston just kept losing those games because he threw too many interceptions.

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

They had a top 6 defense last year.  Winston passed for more than 5,000 yards and they were competitive in most of their games.  Winston just kept losing those games because he threw too many interceptions.

Let's get your facts straight on that point. He also lost 9 fumbles.

I agree with the sentiment that the jury is still out. 

What we saw last year with Winston had Arians written all over it.  The guy who sends down the plays is not necessarily the guy deciding which one to send, or out of which group it comes from.  Kungfoo and I agree, I think, you are not setting a guy who has been prone to interceptions up for success by putting him in an offensive scheme that throws any caution to the wind and wings away. 

You can argue that it was not Arians' job to set Winston up for success, but when he is your QB, doing something that almost ensures failure should put a dent in your "QB guru" status.

But, back to Leftwich or Brady, it is too soon to tell for either of them.  I would like to see Leftwich out from under Arians, and I would like to see more than one game of Brady.  The answer is not limited to one or the other, it could be both or neither, as well.  The NFL is funny that way.  I hope they both do well.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Beer 1

Too early to know. You can't really criticize Leftwich for working under Arians when Brady was a passing coordinator for a college team and an offensive assistant before that.

Both could have great futures. I don't see the need to compare now.

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Lost all your credibility there pal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/season/2019/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Let's get your facts straight on that point. He also lost 9 fumbles.

he turned the ball over a ton, yes, but his arm and talent outside of the turnovers were also a big reason they were kept in many of those games. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, t96 said:

he turned the ball over a ton, yes, but his arm and talent outside of the turnovers were also a big reason they were kept in many of those games. 

100% agree. I defended him all season long. People shat all over him but historically his stats are strikingly similar to Brett Favre's. Same gunslinging type QB. I think that offense specifically isn't going to do him a lot of favors because it encourages lower percentage/risky throws. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Keep in mind that you are describing what will be said about this year's Panthers offense. Having to play catch up will also limit the rushing offense, as you are well aware. 

That's completely fine, I'm not one of the people that's hyping up Brady like crazy and of course your point applies and is valid. I think there are some things about him that are exciting, and he has potential but I would hardly call him a "young offensive guru" like the OP suggested. We need to see more. And as you said same goes for Leftwich. I just don't think they qualify as "offensive gurus" at this point. Neither has proven a thing in this league. Brady has definitely shown more at the college level than Leftwich has anywhere but that doesn't mean it'll translate to NFL success better than Leftwich. We'll see what happens but I'm just not sure what the point of this thread was.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

That's completely fine, I'm not one of the people that's hyping up Brady like crazy and of course your point applies and is valid. I think there are some things about him that are exciting, and he has potential but I would hardly call him a "young offensive guru" like the OP suggested. We need to see more. And as you said same goes for Leftwich. I just don't think they qualify as "offensive gurus" at this point. Neither has proven a thing in this league. Brady has definitely shown more at the college level than Leftwich has anywhere but that doesn't mean it'll translate to NFL success better than Leftwich. We'll see what happens but I'm just not sure what the point of this thread was.

100% agree. I think we will know a lot about Brady after this season because it sounds like he is really being given the reigns to the offense, so the games he calls will stand on their own. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

And this is why...

tell me why its daytime without mentioning the sun

ill wait

2 hours ago, NAS said:

They were 15th in yards and 29th in points. Where are you getting 6? 

Edited by Moo Daeng