Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

3 Panther starters are out this week.

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Oh I agree it is what it is. I still don’t have to like it. It was a terrible decision considering we weren’t going to contend and unless he miraculously gets younger he’s way too expensive for what we’ll get. 2 games in and he’s gotten pancaked and hurt.

Also, there no injury settlement. Once a vet has gotten on the active roster for week 1 their salary for the year is guaranteed. He gets $13M whether he’s on IR or not or even released.

Not completely true.  Season ending injuries are protected, but minor injuries are not.  If the doctors say he will be ready in 3 weeks but Short feels like it's in his best interest health wise to retire, then they can come up with an injury settlement.  

KK been out since he got paid.

We just need to stay away from guys with motivation/effort issues in college. Those were the main knocks on both KK and KB and look where that has gotten us.

Edited by WUnderhill
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Not completely true.  Season ending injuries are protected, but minor injuries are not.  If the doctors say he will be ready in 3 weeks but Short feels like it's in his best interest health wise to retire, then they can come up with an injury settlement.  

Have you ever seen someone give up $13M for a minor injury? Sure, technically speaking Short could retire and say that he could never walk again due to a bad hammy but there’s no chance that will actually happen. The real scenario is that once a vet (I can’t recall how many years) is on day 1 roster their salary is guaranteed. That’s why a lot of FAs like Reid don’t get picked up until after week 1 so their salary isn’t guaranteed.

21 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Why do I get the feeling Short will be shut down soon?

Ankle injury caused by downward pressure from massively overstuffed wallet in corresponding hip pocket.

He was so incredibly disruptive out there until he got the big contract and Star was sent packing. Injuries aside, there's a lot of buyer's remorse when it comes to KK. I keep hoping he'll return to form but at this point, there's really not a lot of signs pointing to it happening.

Sure would like to be surprised by his effort, though.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Have you ever seen someone give up $13M for a minor injury? Sure, technically speaking Short could retire and say that he could never walk again due to a bad hammy but there’s no chance that will actually happen. The real scenario is that once a vet (I can’t recall how many years) is on day 1 roster their salary is guaranteed. That’s why a lot of FAs like Reid don’t get picked up until after week 1 so their salary isn’t guaranteed.

He can't just sit out if the doctors say he can play in x amount of weeks.  He was injured at the end of 2018, injured again at the beginning of 2019, and now is injured again.  Even if it's just a sprain he could see the writing on the wall and decide it would be best to retire, it isnt out of the realm of possibilities. None of us know what is going on in a players head.  If it never happened then there wouldn't be the ability to do it.  I never said that it was going to happen, just that it could.  I also said that if it were minor and he decided to play, I would be fine with that

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Also in an injury setlement, he wouldn't be giving up 13 million the team and the player would negotiate weeks of pay

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Also in an injury setlement, he wouldn't be giving up 13 million the team and the player would negotiate weeks of pay

Stop with the injury settlement. Short is never giving up $13M for an ankle injury. If you can provide an example of a player with a minor injury who retired with an injury settlement, please post it. The pickup up vet FAs after week 1 so their salary isn’t guaranteed happens every year. We are losing $13M in cap space we could have rolled over for future use and we won’t get it back because Short wants to retire so his ankle doesn’t get hurt more.

Man, we have to stop the big contracts. It's obvious we're cursed. Every time a player gets their big payday, their body starts to fall apart. 

Godwin out for Tampa, that could help, but if no pressure on Brady he will carve us up

hell, they may just run the ball every play...fournette goes for 150

11 minutes ago, Pantherfan84 said:

That's about anybody that gets paid, nobody ever lives up to those 100 million contracts.

Plenty of players out there get paid and continue to stay healthy and be productive. That doesn't seem to be the case for us. 

5 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Ankle injury caused by downward pressure from massively overstuffed wallet in corresponding hip pocket.

He was so incredibly disruptive out there until he got the big contract and Star was sent packing. Injuries aside, there's a lot of buyer's remorse when it comes to KK. I keep hoping he'll return to form but at this point, there's really not a lot of signs pointing to it happening.

Sure would like to be surprised by his effort, though.

Coach ruhle not gonna put up with no effort

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

When did we get pressure using the 3-4?

Last year we did get pressure. We just got gashed in the run game. Pressure wasn't our problem though. 

On 9/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he can control his body not holding up. That would be like saying Luke kept benching himself with concussions or Cam kept benching himself with shoulder problems. When your health starts failing you in contact sports, it's pretty much the end. 

If this is a nagging injury, I'd say this is the last we will see of Short. 

Problem is plenty of people thought handing him a fat contract after limited time was stupid pre injury. And it was even more utterly stupid to extend him. KK had Star eating up 2-3 blockers every damn game while Kk got through. Only an idiot couldn’t see that (Hurney).

Argued until was blue in the face on both occasions. Where are all theses posters who argued otherwise?

And I don’t pretend to be a GM, it was just basic logic/common sense.

If you take a look around the huddle, it gets worrying when posters would make better moves than the professionals.

It takes us back to the Edwards, Jarret, Brown, Chandler, Fua, McClain days where time after time huddlers had better ideas than the FO. That’s concerning and it’s even more concerning it is happening once again. I mean seriously wtf is going on? At one point KK was the highest paid in the league...

Just god awful. No wonder the Panthers have the most dead cap in the league.

Edited by onmyown

7 hours ago, onmyown said:

Problem is plenty of people thought handing him a fat contract after limited time was stupid pre injury. And it was even more utterly stupid to extend him. KK had Star eating up 2-3 blockers every damn game while Kk got through. Only an idiot couldn’t see that (Hurney).

Argued until was blue in the face on both occasions. Where are all theses posters who argued otherwise?

And I don’t pretend to be a GM, it was just basic logic/common sense.

If you take a look around the huddle, it gets worrying when posters would make better moves than the professionals.

It takes us back to the Edwards, Jarret, Brown, Chandler, Fua, McClain days where time after time huddlers had better ideas than the FO. That’s concerning and it’s even more concerning it is happening once again. I mean seriously wtf is going on? At one point KK was the highest paid in the league...

Just god awful. No wonder the Panthers have the most dead cap in the league.

Yeah, I mean it is hard to excuse the moves. The bad part is that they span multiple GM's so that makes it feel even more hopeless. Hell, we can go all the way back to Sean Gilbert and the front office just seems to look historically inept.

That really has been the most frustrating part about the Tepper situation. It just seemed so obvious that he would bring in a new GM....and then it didn't happen. Very discouraging.