Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Industry sources are watching the Panthers for potential GM opening

1 hour ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Sometimes the masses are wrong.

This is not one of those times.

Marty does only one thing well, and that one thing is not good enough to make him a full power GM. He does several other things poorly (free agency, contracts, total roster building, etc) and has proven so over many years.

He's not good enough. Pretty much everybody knows it. Only a few people don't want to admit it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Not sure many GMs would want to be subordinate to a college coach on his first season in the NFL. You are right that one of Matt Rhule's guys might be fine with that but I would think most GMs have a pretty big ego and would want to call the shots.

This is exactly why I think Mr. Scot is onto something.  Stewart has a relationship with Rhule.  The same reason we are playing above our expectations.   He's got guys he knows on the team.  

A totally different GM from the outside MAY butthead with Rhule.  As you stated most GMs have huge egos and may try to convince ownership to bring in their own guy at Head Coach.  Next thing we are hiring and firing GMs and Coaches every other year. 

I think since Rhule was giving the job of turning this franchise into a consistent winner.  He should have say in who we draft, who we pickup in Free Agency and who stays and goes.   The GM would advise him on what we can afford in the market and they, as a team, would decide what's next. 

That said, once again as Mr. Scot stated, Stewart is the ideal choice.   

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Beer 1

GMs are just scapegoats.  Head coach has a lot influence over who comes and goes, a whole team of talent advisors and even a guy for contracts too.  At the end of the day when things go south, fans grab the pitchforks and go after the GM.  Every NFL team its the same way

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Marty does only one thing well, and that one thing is not good enough to make him a full power GM. He does several other things poorly (free agency, contracts, total roster building, etc) and has proven so over many years.

He's not good enough. Pretty much everybody knows it. Only a few people don't want to admit it.

He's already made it tough to build a complete roster with some of the contracts he's given to bad players.

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

GMs are just scapegoats.  Head coach has a lot influence over who comes and goes, a whole team of talent advisors and even a guy for contracts too.  At the end of the day when things go south, fans grab the pitchforks and go after the GM.  Every NFL team its the same way

Coaches are often fired while the GM is retained. That busts a pretty big hole in your theory.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I can tell, your formula for somebody being good enough to warrant another year is basically us not being the worst team in the league.

Honestly, I see this about Hurney a lot. Most of the praise breaks down to "he's okay", "he's not terrible", "he's not the worst", "he's not that bad" or my personal favorite, "we might get somebody even worse!"

And I suppose if that's good enough for you, then by all means keep him.

Some of us want more than three winning seasons out of fourteen (with two of those coming on the heels of other GMs).

You be you, man. He'll still be here next year.

40 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Coaches are often fired while the GM is retained. That busts a pretty big hole in your theory.

For the fans, not the owners.  The owners know what they are

Maybe I am mistaken but wasn't this sort of announced earlier this year? The thought being Marty would be moved into a different role and a GM be brought in to replace him?

this is common sense based on him being the last carryover from the old regime not insider info

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

You be you, man. He'll still be here next year.

Like Rivera?

I'm not so sure that's true, but truth be told it may not matter. If we're headed toward a setup where Matt Rhule runs everything, then the GM is just going to be there to do the legwork.

For the record, Marty's contract runs out next July. In order to stay beyond that, he'll need an extension.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Does every GM in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control? Does every HC in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control. No to both, but fortunately they both are in a system, much like the players, where they can rely on their team and work together to improve the team. This isn't the Rivera pointing finger era anymore. This is a team. Unfortunately, a lot of people like rehashing our history of past mistakes instead of embracing the future and acknowledging that there will still be mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like Rivera?

I'm not so sure that's true, but truth be told it may not matter. If we're headed toward a setup where Matt Rhule runs everything, then the GM is just going to be there to do the legwork.

For the record, Marty's contract runs out next July. In order to stay beyond that, he'll need an extension.

Yeah. In July, I think there's a better than 50% chance he'll get an extension.

Either way, the moves made in the last nine months seem to have made the team better, or at least better than they were. Like a poorly maintained car, though, there's still a lot of work to be done under the hood and we'll need a new coat of paint before we're shiny and ready for the spotlight again. I do think that Hurney has had his sleeves rolled up and has been working hard at this. Is he working under Rhule's direction? Sure and that's a good thing. Is he being directed by ownership as well? Most definitely. Could he be the kind of guy that can do both? Right now, seems like he is.

Love him or hate him, there's a certain knack for survival he has, even if he's thought to be dead and gone.

41 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Does every GM in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control? Does every HC in the NFL do every aspect of their job well enough to warrant full control. No to both, but fortunately they both are in a system, much like the players, where they can rely on their team and work together to improve the team. This isn't the Rivera pointing finger era anymore. This is a team. Unfortunately, a lot of people like rehashing our history of past mistakes instead of embracing the future and acknowledging that there will still be mistakes. 

The ones who manage to preside over more than three winning seasons out of fourteen do.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

44 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Yeah. In July, I think there's a better than 50% chance he'll get an extension.

Either way, the moves made in the last nine months seem to have made the team better, or at least better than they were. Like a poorly maintained car, though, there's still a lot of work to be done under the hood and we'll need a new coat of paint before we're shiny and ready for the spotlight again. I do think that Hurney has had his sleeves rolled up and has been working hard at this. Is he working under Rhule's direction? Sure and that's a good thing. Is he being directed by ownership as well? Most definitely. Could he be the kind of guy that can do both? Right now, seems like he is.

Love him or hate him, there's a certain knack for survival he has, even if he's thought to be dead and gone.

His primary "knack for survival" was Jerry Richardson. Nobody else was even willing to hire him as a scout until he got passed on to Tepper.

And see, again your standard for "let's keep him" is basically just "well, we're not the worst".

Some of us actually want, you know, good. And we'd like it more consistently than 25% of the time.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His primary "knack for survival" was Jerry Richardson. Nobody else was even willing to hire him as a scout until he got passed on to Tepper.

And see, again your standard for "let's keep him" is basically just "well, we're not the worst".

Some of us actually want, you know, good. And we'd like it more consistently than 25% of the time.

You keep putting words into my mouth. That's okay. You win. 

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

You keep putting words into my mouth. That's okay. You win. 

I guess he expects a GM to be able to completely tear down a team and rebuild to contend for the Superbowl in 1 offseason