Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
BrianS

Curtis Samuel's favorite play

21 hours ago, BrianS said:

Just heard this in the press conferences for today and was pretty impressed.  When asked about all the clutch plays he's made this season, he was asked which one was his favorite.  He said his favorite play this season was the one where he provided all the blocks for DJ Moore when he scored the long TD in Atlanta.

Still not sure about the hands on that guy, but his hearts in the right place.

After Moton I would be super happy to resign him, he is a great asset for our team.

Edited by shaq
  • Pie 1

His hands aren’t a concern to me.  He’s made plenty of clutch catches with those palms, his health is my #1 concern.  I’d love to re-sign the guy.  Him and DJ seem to be pretty good friends.

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, PandaMan said:

His hands aren’t a concern to me.  He’s made plenty of clutch catches with those palms, his health is my #1 concern.  I’d love to re-sign the guy.  Him and DJ seem to be pretty good friends.

I'm concerned that some idiot will overpay him. Good for him, but if love to keep him on a team friendly deal.

• Pie 1

curtis is having a worse season compared to last year stat wise but stats only show half the story , curtis samuel has actually been our best receiver and most important he has more 3 rd down clutch plays which helped us win most of our games 

• Pie 1

Samuel is clutch.  Coming into the Saints game he was 13 of 13 on targets on 3rd down. 

That means when we needed to move the chains.  HE DID.

• Pie 3

he had that one catch a few weeks ago, it was a high ball and he looked surprised he caught it, and he's been on fire ever since

said it a thousand times, curtis samuel is so underrated by this board it hurts

Igo just a few weeks ago was trying to say he wasn't even worth a third WR spot

Guy is a number two wide out in this league

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, Mister said:

curtis is having a worse season compared to last year stat wise but stats only show half the story , curtis samuel has actually been our best receiver and most important he has more 3 rd down clutch plays which helped us win most of our games 

He’s definitely not our best receiver. He has been clutch on third down but he’s being covered by the teams 3rd best corner/coverage dB on almost every play. I don’t know if he’s been double teamed all year. Robbie gets all the attention and is number 2 in yards total nfl.

Rhule values versatility and he has an asset in Samuel.  Plus, he seems like he works hard and has a go-getter attitude which is something else Rhule covets in players.   I think he is part of the longer term plan.

now watch them trade him away...

• Pie 1

On 10/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, BrianS said:

Just heard this in the press conferences for today and was pretty impressed.  When asked about all the clutch plays he's made this season, he was asked which one was his favorite.  He said his favorite play this season was the one where he provided all the blocks for DJ Moore when he scored the long TD in Atlanta.

He has the highest catch rate of our receivers by a significant amount. Why are you concerned about his hands?

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 1

On 10/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, BrianS said:

I had trended anti-Samuel but his performance this year has won me over. I think we should sign him to another contract.

• Beer 1

Until we can evolve to where everything isn't love vs hate, pro vs anti, best vs worst we are going to have these absurd weekly reactions to players. Reality doesn't fit into these simplistic models.

He has played a key role of converting 3rd downs but not in the conversation of best receiver. Its almost like he's playing the role of TE in this functional regard.

Edited by Moo Daeng

11 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

He has the highest catch rate of our receivers by a significant amount. Why are you concerned about his hands?

Because this (which is FANTASTIC):

image.png.5b1a06f2063f4a6c4bed20ba53cca420.png

Doesn't erase this (which is BAD):

image.png.b3108da61fa28ae885f8f341876d6059.png

He's our player.  I want him to succeed.  Just like any Panthers player.  I want our guys to be their best.  But I have three years of history to look at that says his hands are suspect, and six games can't just make the previous 38 games go away.  He body caught so many balls the previous three years, it's just terrifying.

That said, the catch he made on the high pass against the Raiders was excellent.  But in the same game, he subsequently dropped a ball because he tried to body catch it.  Overall, he's been great this year.  Long may it continue.

If his catch rate remains where it is through the whole season, we would be SILLY not to resign him.  If he becomes our Amendola / Welker / Hines Ward / etc . . . that's huge for us.  I'm a little worried someone else will overpay him if I'm honest, especially if this trend continues.

Still, I love his attitude.  It's exactly what we need.

• Beer 1

Samuel doesn't have hands problem.   He has (HAD) a route problem.   He is still largely a RB/WR hybrid.  And when he runs routes within that scope.....his hands are fine.   

When you throw him on the outside and ask him to be the type player he never had been? Well, he doesn't do a great job.  It's like throwing CMC on the outside and having him play WR on the outside all game.   He wouldn't be the badass pass catcher he is out there.  He doesn't do those routes well.