Carolina Huddle

TikTOK

2020 NBA Free Agency

Begins at 6pm, November 20, 2020

Spotrac has us at about $20.5 million in cap. 

Christian Wood is a serious player to keep an ear for since we didn’t get Wiseman. Shooting Guard is a position of needs. I would still like to take a chance at Brandon Ingram even though the Pelicans should match it. Who should we target? 

Apparently the Warriors are making a trade for Kelly Oubre. Should be a huge pickup since losing Klay if they can keep Wiggins.

Red - Untouchable assets
Orange - Assets you don't want to trade
Yellow - Assets you are willing to trade 
Green - Expiring contracts prime for trade bait
Black - No real trade value

----------------------------------------
PG: Graham - Ball - Riller
SG: Rozier - Monk - Batum
SF: Bridges - Martin 2x
PF: Washington - McD
C: Zeller - Carey - Richards

If we sign anything in FA - it should be a wing shooter or a PF/C. That's it. Just stay steady and hope we get one more good lottery pick next year and find the go to scorer - next year's draft is loaded!

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Red - Untouchable assets

If we sign anything in FA - it should be a wing shooter or a PF/C. That's it. Just stay steady and hope we get one more good lottery pick next year and find the go to scorer - next year's draft is loaded!

Very much agree with this list - I would consider re-signing Bacon though if they believe he can return to his 2018-19 form.  He was a very good SG off the bench and should be relatively cheap.

Also agree C and PF are a huge need - just don't overextend so we can re-sign Graham next year.

I was looking around at possible trade targets for Rozier and FAs.  Honestly I couldn’t really find anyone we need outside of a shooter.  I might just be ready to roll with what we have to be honest.  Strange feeling to have with the Hornets.  Love the youth and potential of our team.

Maybe a SF for depth but do not want a big money guy like Hayward.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

39 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Very much agree with this list - I would consider re-signing Bacon though if they believe he can return to his 2018-19 form.  He was a very good SG off the bench and should be relatively cheap.

Also agree C and PF are a huge need - just don't overextend so we can re-sign Graham next year.

We could have kept him but declined his rookie rights yesterday.. i think he is gone and probably will go down to Orlando to play under Clifford again.. that's where he had his 1 good year

as far as young Wing help:
Denzel Valentine
** Josh Jackson - is he really a bust? idk, but him backing up Bridges would be nice to see
James Ennis III

as far as vet Wing help: 
Kent Bazemore
** Rodney Hood - think of Lamb a few years ago coming in off the bench to spark the 2nd unit
Justin Holiday

as far as PF/C help:
** Harry Giles III - I think he could benefit from getting out of SAC for sure and realize his potential 
Jamychal Green

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Red - Untouchable assets

I would hope the team doesn’t view anybody except Ball as untouchable at this point. Washington looked ok as a rookie, but there wasn’t really anything to suggest he will ever be more than a role player. He doesn’t have exceptional size or athleticism for the position, he only shot 45% from 2. 37% from 3 is good but the sample size was small and amounts to only 1.5 made 3s per game. His PER and WAR were both below average. And he was an old rookie and is already 22.

If we can get a potential lottery pick for him in a deep draft we should definitely take it, but the most telling thing is that we know nobody would offer that.

If we do anything, I would be really excited with Christian Wood. He’s a young PF/C, really good shooter etc. Here is his profile from the Athletic:

What a difference a year makes. Wood was cut by the Pelicans a year ago; now he’s arguably the best free-agent center on the market. While his projected value for next season is lower than Whiteside’s, he’s also six years younger and thus much more likely to command a lucrative multi-year deal. It’s easy to sniff that he was playing in meaningless games for a team going nowhere, but that didn’t stop Wood from putting up big numbers at both ends — both at 4 and 5, and both as a reserve and a starter.

It’s hard to dismiss his season as a fluke as well. Wood’s previous brief snippets of NBA minutes had been nearly as productive, and he dominated the G League during his frequent journeys to the minors. The question isn’t how he was so good, it’s what the hell took so long for an NBA team to start playing him.

At 25, he’s in perfect position to cash in, but alas it’s in a market thin on cap space and not hungry for centers. One other factor working against him is that the Pistons would greatly prefer to keep his first-year salary below $10 million, which would enable Detroit to use “Early Bird” rights and a minuscule cap hold of $1.7 million to retain him and leave $30 million for its other free-agent pursuits.

Even at a higher salary, a return to the Pistons still makes the most sense, but I could see a rebuilding Charlotte team also bidding up his price.

1 hour ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

We could have kept him but declined his rookie rights yesterday.. i think he is gone and probably will go down to Orlando to play under Clifford again.. that's where he had his 1 good year

Denzel Valentine
** Josh Jackson - is he really a bust? idk, but him backing up Bridges would be nice to see
James Ennis III

as far as vet Wing help: 
Kent Bazemore
** Rodney Hood - think of Lamb a few years ago coming in off the bench to spark the 2nd unit
Justin Holiday

as far as PF/C help:
** Harry Giles III - I think he could benefit from getting out of SAC for sure and realize his potential 
Jamychal Green

I think trades are more what they need than FA's this year for C/PF - outside of Harrell or Whiteside I don't see anything worth paying for.  They need a legit starting, scoring, rebounding big man to finally stop teams from killing us inside.

Also not sure your criteria for "young Wing" but I wouldn't consider Valentine or Ennis to be in that category.  Giles and Jackson are interesting, but I wouldn't want to look at the rest of that list.  We need someone for this team to lean on scoring wise.....we don't have it.

I'd be all in on Christian Wood or Harry Giles.  Both could become upper echelon bigs here...  

And looking back, I'm really surprised with how quickly Bacon fell out of favor here.  He showed so much promise in brief glimpses, and then when he was finally handed the keys last season, he completely blew it and never could get back in the staff's good graces.  It really is just an amazingly quick turn of fortune for him...  all that being said, I also think Hayward is an ideal vet to bring in for leadership and some production.  Mitch said he planned on adding a backcourt veteran in the draft night presser, and Hayward just seems like that kind of guy.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Denzel Valentine
James Ennis III

as far as vet Wing help: 
Kent Bazemore
Justin Holiday

as far as PF/C help:
Jamychal Green

I’d love to go after Josh Jackson and Harry Giles instead of trying to make a big signing for someone like Wood, Gordon or Harrell. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

I would hope the team doesn’t view anybody except Ball as untouchable at this point. Washington looked ok as a rookie, but there wasn’t really anything to suggest he will ever be more than a role player. He doesn’t have exceptional size or athleticism for the position, he only shot 45% from 2. 37% from 3 is good but the sample size was small and amounts to only 1.5 made 3s per game. His PER and WAR were both below average. And he was an old rookie and is already 22.

If we can get a potential lottery pick for him in a deep draft we should definitely take it, but the most telling thing is that we know nobody would offer that.

You want to trade PJ? Are you out of your mind? 

8 minutes ago, TikTOK said:

You want to trade PJ? Are you out of your mind? 

For the right price I would absolutely trade him. Do I “want” to trade him? Not necessarily. I don’t think anybody would offer what I would trade him for, as I said. But I’m not sure why he would be untouchable at this point. He had an average rookie season and was not incredibly efficient. He would probably be a great player to have if we had a couple superstars, but I don’t think he’ll be a superstar himself. Until we get the big 2-3, everybody who we don’t think can develop into that should be viewed as an asset to get us there.

It’s only been one season and time may prove me wrong, but if we’re projecting based on just his rookie season, I think my projection on PJ is pretty accurate at the moment.