• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Head Coaching Candidates - My Shortlist

Ruff

(1) Jim Harbaugh

(2) Bill Cowher

(3) David Shaw

(4) Kevin Sumlin

(5) Todd Bowles

(6) Hue Jackson

(7) Greg Roman

(8) Vic Fangio

(9) Dan Quinn

(10) Frank Reich

(11) Jim Tomsula

(12) Dave Toub

Why someone has to name Bill Cowher when we are about to find a new coach? You really think he would like to?

Most realistic options to me...

- Gary Kubiak

- Pep Hamilton

- Tom Clements

- Todd Bowles

Others I'd consider possible...

- Kyle Shanahan

- Frank Reich

- Darrell Bevell

- Dan Quinn

- Hue Jackson

- Dave Toub

- Brad Seely

Who I'd classify as unlikely...

- Jim Harbaugh

- Perry Fewell

- Tom Coughlin (as a coach, at least)

- Any of the college guys

- Any of the TV guys

- Any of the 'hot seat' guys

And under the category of 'no way in hell'...

- Anybody currently on the Panthers staff

Pep Hamilton should be a top candidate and Todd Bowles as well. If the Panthers really do make changes they will have to move quick because i can definitely see Pep going to San Francisco and Todd Bowles will be a hot candidate. 

Whole lotta people believe the 49ers offseason will see Harbaugh move on and Hamilton take his place.  It actually does seem like a viable scenario.

Did a quick search and found Zampese's had several OC interviews over the past several years; Lions in 2014, Bengals in 2011, Bears in 2010 and Panthers in 2007 (obviously that one we knew about; we chose Jeff Davidson).  Obviously if he's anything like his dad he'd be good, but so far no one's given him that shot.

Titans stated today they don't plan to make any coaching changes, but that doesn't necessarily mean they would deny Mularkey permission to advance.  He's been a successful OC before but he always gives me kind of an 'old news' vibe.

I like Reich, but one year coordinators make me really nervous.

And yeah, Mangini coaching tight ends made me go "huh"?  he was an 'offensive assistant' once years ago.  Near as I can tell, that's his only offensive experience.  He didn't even play offense in high school or college.

I guess with Mangini, it's a 'stash' thing like Mike Nolan coaching WRs years ago. 

Only reason I bring up Mularkey is the combo with Clements.  Clements is probably going to run his own O, and even being able to ****** a guy like McAdoo on staff, I don't know if he's 'enough'.  Up and comer, shouldn't have been that bad but it's rare when an O guy like Coughlin installs an O that he's not familiar with.  So, Mularkey as an OC is a hedge.  He runs it, but he's not the one making the decisions.  It's like when you'd have a Sherm Lewis or Gil Haskell as OC but the HC is calling the plays and the QBs coach is the one with play input.

Archived