• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Head Coaching Candidates - My Shortlist

Ruff

Coming into this season, I think it was impossible that we would be talking about head coaching candidates at the end of this season. Then, even near the middle of the season, I thought it was unlikely. But now? Now we're staring down the possibility of ending the season on a 10 game losing streak, and not winning a game since the beginning of October. That's pathetic, and it's something that I don't think Rivera's career here lives through. But what about the money owed to him if he's fired? Well, here's the thing. Gettleman knows that Rivera's ship is sinking fast, and the only way to save himself is to convince JR to can Rivera's ass. Gettleman knows with his age, and this opportunity, he only has one shot to make this work. Thus, I think Rivera and the entire staff is cleaned out and started from fresh.

I've been going over my head coaching candidate favorites for a while now, but, I've finally put together a shortlist of five that I think are both realistic and good fits for what we do. I've broken down each candidate into who they are, their previous jobs, who would likely come with them as staff (most coaches pull their guys, not random coaching "all stars" and create the staff that way), along with the likelihood (in my opinion) that it could happen. So, let's get started, starting with my favorite coaching candidate and working my way down.

#1 - Kyle Shanahan

Current Job: OC of the Cleveland Browns

Why? Kyle Shanahan is young. At 34 years old, he would be one of the youngest coaches in NFL history (Lane Kiffin was 31), but, don't let those numbers fool you. Kyle has been on the sidelines with his dad since he was a kid. He quickly rose through the ranks of the NFL, catching on with Gruden at Tampa Bay with a low-level quality control job, then landing as WR coach with the Houston Texans (Shanahan was the guy who developed Andre Johnson during his best years), eventually taking over as OC at Houston where he led one of the best run games in the NFL at the time. He then followed his dad to Washington, where he developed a strong running game and was OC for ROTY RG3. 

What He Would Bring: Youthfulness, passion, and a strong offensive line/running game fit for today's NFL.

Likely Choice at Offensive Coordinator: 

Tim Brewster

Likely Choice at Defensive Coordinator:

Raheem Morris

Chances of it Happening: High. Mr. Scot has already pointed out the link between Mike Shanahan/Kyle/and Gettleman based on previous experience with the Denver Broncos.

Read More: The Mastermind that is Kyle Shanahan

Kyle Shanahan, 34, is sharp. He’s seen his fair share in 10 NFL seasons. Yep, 10.

Younger players call him “chill.” Shanahan relates to them. Veterans, especially the wide receivers, nearly glow when they chat about playing in his offense.

Mike Pettine trusts Kyle Shanahan. He should.

Watch a Cleveland Browns practice closely this summer at training camp in Berea. Shanahan is the most vocal coach on the field. Pettine sits back and absorbs his offensive coordinator while he works. A former wide receiver at Texas, Shanahan is hands-on, conducting his offense like a maestro would at an orchestra concert. We urge you to watch the MIC’d up video below if you don’t believe Shanahan’s gusto for coaching offense.

Before the draft, Pettine told reporters Shanahan would have significant input on which quarterback the Browns would select in 2014.

“I’m going to defer to an expert,” said Pettine.

#2 - Gary Kubiak

Current Job: OC of the Baltimore Ravens

Why? Gary Kubiak is well-known in the NFL for his offenses, and his running game. A former head coach in the league, Kubiak knows what he's doing, after helping the Texans get some of the best records they've ever had, and draft players like JJ Watt. Kubiak is well-respected in the NFL, and is quickly expected to jump back to being a head coach (where he belongs) after a short-stint as Baltimore's offensive coordinator. Kubiak has revitalized Steve Smith's career in Baltimore, and is making back-up running backs like Forsett look like Pro Bowlers.

What He Would Bring: Experience and a know-how. There would be no learning curve for Kubiak. It would be a situation where he would come in right away and get to work.

Rick Dennison

Wade Phillips 

Chances of it Happening: Very High. Kubiak shares the same connection to Gettleman that Kyle Shanahan does, and would be the type of "win now" guy Gettleman could look for, where as he wouldn't have to worry about the growing pains with Kyle Shanahan.

Read More: Hiring of Gary Kubiak already paying dividends for Ravens offense

“I love this offense, no doubt about it,” seventh-year Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco said on Monday, moments after Baltimore’s final joint workout with the visiting]49ers. “I think it’s going to be good football, and it’s going to be fun to watch all season long.”

#3 - Kevin Sumlin

Current Job: Head Coach of Texas A&M

Why? Coach Sumlin is an offensive mastermind. He has taken the Air Raid offense and made it so much more, allowing his QBs chances to make calls at the line of scrimmage, and give them the tools to succeed. Coach Sumlin has produced some of the best results from his college QBs, including Case Keenum and Johnny Manziel. Sumlin has already been a head coach in the college ranks where he's shown promise and aggressiveness, along with coaching against the very best that college has to offer. 

What He Would Bring: An explosive offense that the NFL would drool over, tools that would change Cam into a player putting up video game type numbers, and a swagger and intensity that this team is severely lacking.

Jake Spavital

Mike Stoops

Chances of it Happening: The lowest of this list. Other than having no connections to Gettleman, there would also be talk of a buyout of Sumlin's contract.

Read More: A Kevin Sumlin Offense Is A Thing Of Alarming Beauty

But that's the beauty of Sumlin's various iterations of the Air Raid—he'll tailor his schemes to fit his quarterbacks, rather than try to change his quarterbacks to fit his schemes.

Manziel was incorrigible, scrambling, improvising, and generally going rogue with no warning. Sumlin respected these as strengths, and ran a version of the spread that allowed Manziel more freedom to change plays at the line, and to take off.

#4 - Jim Harbaugh

Current Job: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers

Why? There's so many things to like about Jim Harbaugh, but the biggest of those is that he wins. Everywhere he goes. Sure, he rubs players and front office members the wrong way, but, he will go to any program or franchise, stay there for four or five years, and immediately begin to win. He's the Larry Brown of the NFL. He's got an attitude, he's got a savvy, and he gets the very best out of each player that plays for him, no matter what position they're playing.

What He Would Bring: Attitude and winning ways, along with a weirdness that this stagnant organization needs.

Eric Mangini (Note: I think Greg Roman takes a head coaching job in college)

Vic Fangio

Chances of it Happening: Decently High. First, he has to be fired from the 49ers, but, we reportedly showed interest in him last time he was available, and then JR made his infamous "who's he?" remarks to save face.

Read More: Prepared for greatness

Harbaugh is fiercely intense and isn't particularly forthcoming with the media, either because he doesn't want to be bothered or he simply isn't interested, but he can be very funny in his own quirky way.

He has had a plan since he arrived in San Francisco from Stanford, and unlike other men who have made the jump from college to the pros, because of his background, Harbaugh can't be considered a college guy. He was always pointing his coaching career to getting back into the NFL.

"He's my kind of coach," Craig said. "He makes you accountable. He's very similar to Bill Walsh that way. He makes you accountable for what you do on and off the football field, but the main thing is he's a tough coach and he expects you to be professional.

"He will pat you on the back if he scolds you. He's got your back. That's what players like. He won't leave you hanging. Some coaches will scream and yell and then not tell the player anything. I like what Jim's doing."

#5 - Hue Jackson

Current Job: OC for the Cincinnati Bengals

Why? Tough, strong-willed, but a guy who will go out of his way to develop young players, Hue Jackson is a lot of things, including a great coach. He has his quirks, but, a guy who has shown that his head coaching style works (he had as many wins in one season as Dennis Allen did in 2.5). He would be different than anything we're used to, especially coming off a decade of John Fox and Ron Rivera, but it would be a breath of fresh air.

What He Would Bring: Attitude. A punch-you-in-the-face, drop-the-hammer attitude. There would be no Ron Rivera pussyfooting. Along with attitude, he would bring his mentoring skills... His ability to craft young players in to the player that he wants them to be, and subsequently, into the way they should be.

Al Saunders

Mike Waufle

Chances of it Happening: Decently High. Hue Jackson already interviewed with Gettleman and Co. for the opening of offensive coordinator, but was turned down. He may be able to convince Gettleman a 2nd time around.

Read More: Hue Jackson might be spark offense needs

They will instead be taking guidance from a man whose intense, hard-coaching style is reminiscent of former defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. Like with Zimmer, thick skin, open ears and an open mind will go a long way in helping them prepare for the challenges Jackson will present; challenges his predecessor, rightly or wrongly, didn't always provide.

"I don't know any other way to coach," Jackson said last week at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. "I was asked to be the offensive coordinator here, and I'm going to be who I am. I think the players understand that, but I think they know I come from a good place. It's nothing personal. I want to make you the best player you can be. That's my job."

A new sheriff is running the offensive side of the Bengals' locker room. For players like Dalton and Green, that is a good thing. With Jackson in charge, the two young superstars who haven't yet endured much internal flack during their three seasons with the Bengals, might finally get the spark they so desperately need.

You won't hear Jackson admit to that, though. Nor will you hear any of his players own up to it. But it is apparent the Bengals' biggest stars were able to skate by under the previous offensive staff. One of the dirty little secrets about Cincinnati's offenses the past three seasons is that while good and quite talented, the unit was missing the type of brash, in-your-face coaching that was often needed.

None of these guys will be our coach. While I was perma-banned I often read all these silly threads about possible coaches and couldn't believe what I was reading and where some of you get your ideas. The main mistake everybody is making is thinking that the decision comes down to who Dave Gettleman wants. That is false. If you think Jerry doesn't have the main say, you are badly mistaken. Jerry WILL NOT hire a college coach and Jerry WILL NOT hire an offensive minded coach.

Don't know how you categorize Harbaugh and Sumlin as realistic choices when a) I think we have looked at two college coaches during the whole entire time that this team existed and B) If Richardson didn't entertain the offer of bringing in Harbaugh before the why do you think he will again?

I think Kubiak and Shanahan are realistic though. I will add a few names to the mix:

Teryl Austin, DC for the Lions: Spent time with the Ravens and was the DC for the Florida Gators. Good at creating strong defenses.

Kevin Coyle, DC for the Dolphins: Since taking over as DC in Miami, he seems to be getting this defense better and better. Has worked along side Mike Zimmer and Cincy.

Dan Quinn, DC for the Seahawks: Quinn is doing an excellent job in Seattle creating a great defense known as the Legion of Doom. Has be widely known as a hot candidate in 2015.

So if history stays on course, I see yet another defensive minded coach.

Side note: Eric Mangini is a defensive minded coach, not offense

Don't know how you categorize Harbaugh and Sumlin as realistic choices when a) I think we have looked at two college coaches during the whole entire time that this team existed and B) If Richardson didn't entertain the offer of bringing in Harbaugh before the why do you think he will again?

I think Kubiak and Shanahan are realistic though. I will add a few names to the mix:

Teryl Austin, DC for the Lions: Spent time with the Ravens and was the DC for the Florida Gators. Good at creating strong defenses.

Kevin Coyle, DC for the Dolphins: Since taking over as DC in Miami, he seems to be getting this defense better and better. Has worked along side Mike Zimmer in Cincy.

Dan Quinn, DC for the Seahawks: Quinn is doing an excellent job in Seattle creating a great defense known as the Legion of Boom. Has be widely known as a hot candidate in 2015.

So if history stays on course, I see yet another defensive minded coach.

Side note: Eric Mangini is a defensive minded coach, not offense

To be honest, I wasn't interested in Shanahan at all before this post, mostly due to his last name.  But after reading this, and the linked article I'm game.  I'd be happy with him, Kubiak, maybe Harbaugh or a college HC.  Shanahan is the only option that hasn't already been a HC I'd be interested in.

Archived