• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Howell and the sacks record

UnluckyforSome

From the article..

Over a 17-game season, Howell’s current total would project to 97 sacks. The NFL record for most times sacked in a season is 76, set by David Carr with the expansion Texans in 2002.

Big numbers. I haven't watched any of their games however. Is he holding on to the ball? Frozen with indecision? Oline worse than ours? Ron shenanigans? It's interesting in the context of I think Rivera is gone after this year, and a new coach will want their own guy under center. There's a good amount of Panthers fans that would like to bring Howell home, as they feel it was a mistake to not draft him anyway.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-howell-has-40-sacks-through-seven-games-on-pace-to-shatter-nfl-record

It's the worst NFL OL I've ever seen and they find a way to get worse every week. The Giants had already matched their season sack total by halftime.

Early on lots of people were trying to blame Howell and of course some sacks are going to fall on the QB. But reality is starting to sink in that this OL Ron has assembled is just completely and absolutely atrocious.

Screenshot_20231023-081604.thumb.png.a097cebe62e9308d67cfc2a52cf7a78f.png

Keep in mind the fastest average time to throw in the NFL is Tua at 2.37 seconds. So even the fastest to throw QB in the NFL would be getting pressured or hit on over half of his dropbacks in the Giants game.

Screenshot_20231023-121556.thumb.png.d49461da4b59630da0bc164e3a68cd8c.png

This should bring back painful memories for Panthers fans. The Bell/Chandler OT plan ring a bell? 😂

• Beer 1

I am entirely neutral. I watched him from time to time at UNC, and I know Duke Howell, his father, from way back in high school.

Almost 100 sacks in a season is mind-boggling though. Everyone points to Carr being ruined by similar experience with the Texans, and while it was probably more than just those sacks, I have no doubt that it contributed. This would greatly surpass Carr's numbers.