• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What can cause my laptop to do this

Go To Girl

I got my e-mail response back from them - they told me to try re-installing my video card driver. When I restarted my computer after that, I had no flickering or blotches. I think it's still too soon to tell though, but it would be wonderful if that was it. I've even tried doing some of the things that would trigger it before - like moving the screen, and it's been ok.

If the problem returns, could be a loose connection where the LCD plugs into the motherboard. It is a very small connection, and if it is dirty or loose, it will give you intermittent video issues.

a "loose" connection would cause the monitor to periodically go out, the blotches and such sounds more like a problem with the integrated graphics, which will probably mean the motherboard will be changed to remedy the problem. Word to the wise, changing the motherboard changes your systems configuration, and when you get it back from Best Buy, there is a possibility that your system will blue screen (this means its erroring because something is wrong with the hardware) if it does this, its just a matter of re-installing Windows (or more appropriately, doing a repair on the existing install) A gentleman I work with had to get a new mobo, and when he got it back he had this problem. Best Buy was going to try and charge him $120 to fix the problem, and I advised him to point out that there wouldnt have been a problem if the tech installing the mobo would have used his brain and repaired windows to configure to his newer hardware. needless to say, he didnt have to pay the fee. :)

-DP

Thanks for the info. We did do a complete backup on the entire computer before we took it in and figured we'd have to restore a few things. I still haven't heard from wherever they were shipping it to tell me officially what was wrong. I'm guessing it hasn't been touched yet. I actually thought it was the connection between the screen and the keyboard - might have been loose. That happened to an old IBM my husband had from work. It was easily fixed.

Alrighty, do you connect wirelessly or is the pc wired to the router? sometimes my network gets wonky and I have to make my wireless pc's on the network find the network again to reconnect. if its connected wired, I'd suggest unplugging both the modem and the router for 20 seconds, then plug em back in wait a few and see if it'll connect. you can also do this with a wireless router and such too, it resets the MAC address that for some reason once in awhile gets booshy.

-DP

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0504010&type=category

Flash drives are also called Thumb Drives, they're basically mini-hard drives used for transporting Data from one pc to another easily. they're not all that expensive, for a school laptop I wouldn't get anything over 1 gig, unless your son is gonna be doing video editing, which unless things have changed a crap ton in 11 years, I highly doubt.

-DP

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0504010&type=category

Flash drives are also called Thumb Drives, they're basically mini-hard drives used for transporting Data from one pc to another easily. they're not all that expensive, for a school laptop I wouldn't get anything over 1 gig, unless your son is gonna be doing video editing, which unless things have changed a crap ton in 11 years, I highly doubt.

-DP

Gah...don't buy one from Best Buy. They are ridiculously expensive. The top result on that link was a 2GB for $15.

Here is a 4GB for $8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227331

Or a 16GB for $18.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227333

...the link was showing an example of a Flash Drive, not a suggestion to buy said drive from there. As stated, I'd find a nice cheap 1 gb flash drive from the local Wal-mart and such. Newegg is a good suggestion however, but depending on Mrs. Bunny will need said device is the question. But yeah, I wouldn't suggest buying it from BB, just wanted to show what they were, and it was late so my brain was thinking "quick link example" not "cheap prices"

-DP

• 2 weeks later...

Archived