• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into Scherer's approach

Mr. Scot

well right now he's saying all the right things.

Doc, after seeing Jake's last performance, anybody coming in here could pretty much say anything about getting back to the basics, and would be welcomed with open arms. Rip's statements are safe and politically correct, and that's about all I can say for them at the moment. After Jake's total meltdown, my 10 year old son has that much insight.

My biggest problem with Jake (minus the Cardinal debacle) is his seeming refusal to check his receivers (including the TEs and RBs).

IMHO he needs to cycle through the receivers in his mind (and play), prioritize his options---including the realistic probability of a completion depending on the location of the defenders, and throw the damn ball to the open man. And, if no one is open, he needs to learn that the sideline can be his friend. I don't know if any of you play NCAA or Madden video games, but isn't that what you do when you decide to throw the ball?

I know that I may be making it sound more simple than it really is, but Jake is paid very well to do this. Don't you recall the commercial with Peyton Manning going through the motions in his mind? Delhomme needs to do this. If Rip can move Jake a little closer to Manning and a tad farther away from Favre, he's the man for the job.

Doc, after seeing Jake's last performance, anybody coming in here could pretty much say anything about getting back to the basics, and would be welcomed with open arms. Rip's statements are safe and politically correct, and that's about all I can say for them at the moment. After Jake's total meltdown, my 10 year old son has that much insight.

My biggest problem with Jake (minus the Cardinal debacle) is his seeming refusal to check his receivers (including the TEs and RBs).

IMHO he needs to cycle through the receivers in his mind (and play), prioritize his options---including the realistic probability of a completion depending on the location of the defenders, and throw the damn ball to the open man. And, if no one is open, he needs to learn that the sideline can be his friend. I don't know if any of you play NCAA or Madden video games, but isn't that what you do when you decide to throw the ball?

I know that I may be making it sound more simple than it really is, but Jake is paid very well to do this. Don't you recall the commercial with Peyton Manning going through the motions in his mind? Delhomme needs to do this. If Rip can move Jake a little closer to Manning and a tad farther away from Favre, he's the man for the job.

let us please not confuse the actual game of football with the video game Madden. I love me some Madden as much as the next dude but in Madden you can hike the ball run straight for the sideline and have 6 seconds to throw the ball. This is not reality.

Jake is not a cerebral QB like Manning, and possibly Brady (with the success of Cassell I question Brady's greatness). He just isn't, most QB's do not have the ability to look at the field in play, note were all the defenders are, guesstimate were they will go, correlate that guesstimation with the knowledge of the recievers routes and come up with a probablility of completion/interception, find the most open reciever and get him the ball in less than 3 seconds while 280-350 lb men are trying to kill them. It is also not as easy as Madden makes it seem.

Most QB's rely on memory and what they have seen on tape. So that when a D lines up a certain way they kinda already have an idea of were they are going.

Manning's commercial of what goes through his mind was a 30 second commercial. Imagine trying to think all of that in 3-4 seconds. Its pretty much immpossible.

Playing QB is much more complicated than that. I'm not saying that Jake's game was excusable because you are right that he is paid well for what he does but to sit here and try to simplify it is ridiculous. Jake was pretty good all year, I'm sure that he will work hard to overcome his inadequacies.

How can a QB coach teach a student how to use his his vision to scan the whole field and throw to the WR that is not double covered? Don't only look at one receiver.

How can a QB coach teach consistant accuracy? This is something a QB either has or he has not. How can a QB force the ball in if he is not accurate?

Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks and sometimes its just better to get a new dog.

let us please not confuse the actual game of football with the video game Madden. I love me some Madden as much as the next dude but in Madden you can hike the ball run straight for the sideline and have 6 seconds to throw the ball. This is not reality.

Jake is not a cerebral QB like Manning, and possibly Brady (with the success of Cassell I question Brady's greatness). He just isn't, most QB's do not have the ability to look at the field in play, note were all the defenders are, guesstimate were they will go, correlate that guesstimation with the knowledge of the recievers routes and come up with a probablility of completion/interception, find the most open reciever and get him the ball in less than 3 seconds while 280-350 lb men are trying to kill them. It is also not as easy as Madden makes it seem.

Most QB's rely on memory and what they have seen on tape. So that when a D lines up a certain way they kinda already have an idea of were they are going.

Manning's commercial of what goes through his mind was a 30 second commercial. Imagine trying to think all of that in 3-4 seconds. Its pretty much immpossible.

Playing QB is much more complicated than that. I'm not saying that Jake's game was excusable because you are right that he is paid well for what he does but to sit here and try to simplify it is ridiculous. Jake was pretty good all year, I'm sure that he will work hard to overcome his inadequacies.

Good post! Most of what you say is instinctual and that's why Brady and Manning are so good at it. Delhomme has that ability, he just doesn't show it consistently. Hopefully, we have corrected that problem this year with a replacement to the QB coach. If not, it's gonna be another long year...

Still, I'll take 12-4 every year, I'm a happy camper at that. Others seem to have forgotten that, I haven't...

talk about reading too far into a simple statement, I said "well right now he's saying all the right things." as in I've heard the talk now how about let's see some action to back your words up.

Nothing less, nothing more

Good post! Most of what you say is instinctual and that's why Brady and Manning are so good at it. Delhomme has that ability, he just doesn't show it consistently. Hopefully, we have corrected that problem this year with a replacement to the QB coach. If not, it's gonna be another long year...

Still, I'll take 12-4 every year, I'm a happy camper at that. Others seem to have forgotten that, I haven't...

:iagree: Thank you both. I see too many fan suggestions as if NFL football is a video game. Let's put so'n'so in or try this play to see what happens as if we can press restart if we don't like it. The mechanics, the skill it takes to play great NFL football are unattainable to clods like me and maybe Madden helps some see the game clearer. But there's truly no translation between the two. And, yes, Mintal, I'm with you on a 12-4 into-the-playoffs season. :)

Good post.

As an aside, I love how some of the same folks who complain that Jake locks onto Steve Smith too often turn around and say that Smith would have more catches if he had a different QB throwing to him. Too much, or not enough? Gotta pick one folks, it can't be both (and don't bother trying to negotiate it).

If there's one thing that seems to be continually misunderstood by many, it's the concept of reads. People think QBs are supposed to sit back and look over every single read and then make a decision. That's not how it works. Some plays there isn't even time to do that (hence why you have a "hot read" as a safety valve).

You go to your primary read first. If he's open, you throw it to him. That's how the play is designed. Only if he's not open do you move on to the next, and the next, etc.

The primary read on most Panther plays is going to be Steve Smith. And as has been alluded to, Smitty is always open.

Why do you think so many of Kurt Warner's passes come out so quick? His first read is generally Fitzgerald, and Fitzgerald knows how to get open. That's a prime reason why Philly got picked apart the way they did (us too).

If your ideal QB is one who sits there and waits to explore every option, thinks and rethinks and rethinks again before deciding where to throw, you can be happy because there is a guy in the NFL who suits that profile.

Right now, he's backing up Eli Manning in New York.

Archived