• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bustin Loose: Frank & Moose w/KC Joyner

mav1234

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2011/03/09/breaking-down-cam-newtons-workout-at-auburn-pro-day/

Worth posting I thought. interesting talk. KC Joyner doesn't sound like he really has looked at our team much at all but oh well. I agree with him about Newton and Gabbert, and don't think either are worth the #1.

Synopsis:

Frank/Moose: Is Cam deserving of #1 pick?

KC Joyner: says depends on if it's based on physical ability or on ability to quarterback. Says he has had good quarterback coaches and Florida and Auburn and his footwork is still very very bad, so why are people convinced he'll make the jump at the pro level.

F/M: When evaluating Cam, what made you think he wasn't a top tier QB?

KC: Mechanics, footwork, lack of urgency in backpedal, not stepping into throws, lack of experience reading defenses, didn't do a lot of throwing on the run (just ran when broke pocket). Have a lot of ground to cover. He looks like more a long term project. Does not look like a guy you put in on week 1. Like The Golden Calf of Bristol.

F/M: Where is Cam going to go?

KC: Likely in the top 12, but if he doesn't go in the top 12, he could drop to the second round unless the Seahawks pick him up.

F/M:Who is your first quarterback to go?

KC: I have reasons to believe Gabbert is not that great, but Mallett is the most pro ready guy.

F/M:Is Cam rising boards after Combine/Pro Day? Is he going to start and be great right away?

KC: Most quarterbacks will need to work at it, not going to be like Sam Bradford. Most rookies are projects. He has the physical talent, but do you take him as a first round pick? He's a talented player, some team will take him and he could turn into a very good player. If you're any of the teams with a top ten pick... If he doesn't work, what then? You can't get the top 10 pick wrong, and you can draft a defensive player that can be a defensive cornerstone of your team for years and years to come the same way Cam would be on offense.

F/M: Panthers have Clausen and Pike. Defense was okay. Offensive line, RB solid. How do you address QB situation?

KC: Tough one. None of the QBs you should take at #1. Ideally you'd trade down, but may not be possible. I do NOT think Clausen is the long term answer, but there are some quarterbacks who might make it to round 2 (he doesn't know we dont have a 2nd rounder, lol)

F/M: Parcells rules... Drafting a quarterback, 7 criteria... Newton falls short in 5 of 7. Moose: Where is Christian Ponder fit? Frank: *laughs* Tell us about Bill Parcells' rules.

KC: Rules Parcells uses gleaned from the grizzled personnel guys who have been doing this since the 50s and 60s. Gist is you want to have guys who have physical talent but also want them to have learned as much about quarterbacking at the next level as possible in college. Not having to take a guy from ground 0 to build him up, he's coming in at a level you don't need to raise him as far. By and large, good quarterbacks do check off on this, but not all, and some that do are not any good (Leinart is mentioned)

F/M: Could you see how Cam Newton could become a face of the franchise, reinvigorate the franchise?

KC: One team that was in real bad team last year but is on the rise... Lions. Lions pick him up, weren't as fired up last year but see how he changed the entire defense. He's physical, fast, mean, plays hard... Lions, who had horrible defense, played MUCH better, and now the fans are excited about Suh more than they were Stafford. This is why Panthers need to pick up a guy who really elevates the D, excited fan base.

F/M:CBA limits chance of finding quality guys in FA. If you don't take a QB, how can you address the position?

KC:Need to find the next Muhsin Muhammad. If you give an average QB good receivers, the QB will do well. If you don't give a QB guys who get open, he won't do very much. Not a long term answer, but Clausen is solid with options to throw to. Can't take Julio Jones/AJ Green that high but if you can get a good possession receiver to improve in the dink and dunk.

F/M:If you're the Panthers, who are you taking?

KC: Fairley. Will be close to Suh.

KC Joyner may be a football scientist but tbh, I don't think he's really a draft scientist. I also think Miami would go for Cam if they could outside the top 12, but I'm sure he's better educated about this stuff than I am.

Archived