• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nice piece on Goodson

Fireball77

I see your point, but then again I thought SD was smart to give LdT his second deal because he is multidimensional. He throws, he blocks on pass pro, he is a great receiver. Wasn't this latest transaction with LdT a restructure of that second one? I also thought even in 2005 when they did it that Seattle was stupid for giving Alexander another deal like they did because he is NOT multidimensional. All you could rely on him to do was run, not passblock, pass, or catch passes. I think everything has to be taken into consideration, not just age. Skillset, amount of wear and tear, might the guy be the type amenable to a reduced contract/reduced role down the line?

I just don't see it happening. First of all, there is a good chance that Goodson will never be a true feature RB like Williams and Stewart...especially since his biggest weaknesses are blocking, inside running, and ball security, while his biggest asset is working in space. He really plays a different position that Williams, even though they're both listed as RB's.

Secondly, there is no reason to believe that Williams won't get a contract extension long before he becomes a FA in 2011.

Tell the truth now.....just how many times have you seen Goodson play. I'm sure they didn't show TXAM every weekend in Carolina and its not like they have been to any bowl games lately. Who said he was a weak blocker, inside runner and he fumbles...fumbles...thats one of his strong points. I don't think the guy ever fumbles. I really think you are making things up now. Where are you getting all this poo from? I've been watching this guy since highschool at Klein and it seems we must be talking about two different Mike Goodsons.lmao

Tell the truth now.....just how many times have you seen Goodson play. I'm sure they didn't show TXAM every weekend in Carolina and its not like they have been to any bowl games lately. Who said he was a weak blocker, inside runner and he fumbles...fumbles...thats one of his strong points. I don't think the guy ever fumbles. I really think you are making things up now. Where are you getting all this poo from? I've been watching this guy since highschool at Klein and it seems we must be talking about two different Mike Goodsons.lmao

Well, maybe you know better than me, but this is one of the places I got it from...http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/Mike-Goodson.php

BTW, I'm not even worried about the inside running, and scouts have been wrong before about a players toughness, or lack thereof. I do think Goodson's biggest value to the Panthers is his speed in the passing game though. More than anything, we need another weapon that will make defenses pay dearly for double teaming Smitty.

I see your point, but then again I thought SD was smart to give LdT his second deal because he is multidimensional. He throws, he blocks on pass pro, he is a great receiver. Wasn't this latest transaction with LdT a restructure of that second one? I also thought even in 2005 when they did it that Seattle was stupid for giving Alexander another deal like they did because he is NOT multidimensional. All you could rely on him to do was run, not passblock, pass, or catch passes. I think everything has to be taken into consideration, not just age. Skillset, amount of wear and tear, might the guy be the type amenable to a reduced contract/reduced role down the line?

Very very good points. I don't really think that we should trade Williams, but I don't think that we shouldn't think about it. Still trying to take everything into consideration.

LT certainly is/was the best back in the league, and I think that he is an anomaly, in that he is really good at all of those things, and was big part of the SD community.

The new deal for him was pretty much a restructure, but it didn't save as much as was needed, IMO. He is still being paid very well, for a 30 year old back.

Williams strikes me as a multidimensional type back, while Stewart is more a stud RB type. We shall see.

I think that sometimes you have to pay someone a little more than he is "worth" because for whatever he has left, he is your best option and you have no one you feel good about giving you that type of production for less or the same $$. I think LdT fits that description at this stage of his career. Certainly, I don't think Sproles is capable of doing all LdT does at this point.

Williams strikes me as a multidimensional type back, while Stewart is more a stud RB type. We shall see.

I think that sometimes you have to pay someone a little more than he is "worth" because for whatever he has left, he is your best option and you have no one you feel good about giving you that type of production for less or the same $$. I think LdT fits that description at this stage of his career. Certainly, I don't think Sproles is capable of doing all LdT does at this point.

Totally agree with LT and Sproles. Sproles can't pass protect nearly as well, nor can he be an every down back, and hold up, IMO.

SD had no choice, they either had to trade LT or re sign him,...they did not want to take a back in the first this year.

LdT was worth more to SD than to another team at his age, that's for sure. They never would have gotten that value from a trade I don't believe. I think they did the right thing.

In the end I don't see them trading him, they would have cut him and let him sign where ever he wanted to. They did the same with Brees, and Turner.

It was the right thing for the fans, FO and team, although the cap savings were not what they needed to be.

Talk about a team with some extensions out there to sign soon.

Rivers

Jackson

Chambers

McNeill

Merriman

Gates

whew...I wouldn't want to be the cap guy trying to figure all of that out.

Archived