Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Dwayne, all grown up

34 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just had a startling conversation with WR Dwayne Jarrett. We'll have more from him in tomorrow's paper, but the first impression is that he's basically a different person.
In short, he sounded mature, which is something the 23-year-old had never before been accused of.
Gone were a lot of the tired cliches, the stock lines he used to use to explain away his shortcomings -- which were numerous.
"I don't want to say I regret (the way he handled himself)," Jarrett said. "I just wasn't aware."
That sums up his first three years here. But this camp, he's been a completely different player, looking more assertive on the field.
Getting him out there would be huge, and he's showing sings of finally delivering returns on the Panthers' four-year investment.
He's catching everything in practice, and with his size, could become a valuable tool for QB Matt Moore.
Another quick highlight: Receivers coach Tyke Tolbert raves about him, but discussing his size advantage, said "he doesn't have to be open to be open."
Stay tuned for more.

— Darin Gantt

[url=http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=BlogplckScript=blogScriptplckElementId=blogDestplckBlogPage=BlogViewPostplckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3a8be5b5b2-9eac-409b-8882-2dbe4536156asid=pluck.heraldonline.com]More...[/url]

Posted · Report post

This is the new Puss?

Posted · Report post

apology not accepted dwayne

Posted · Report post

I was at camp yesterday and Jarrett was the stand out in my eyes. He caught everything thrown his way with the exception of one drop. He even made a diving catch during noncontact drills. He looked strong.

Posted · Report post

Maybe him finally trying to work like an NFL player and having a more capable quarterback will help him turn the page. This article kind of proves all of his admirers wrong, he's been a flop here because of his own actions. It's not because we haven't given him a chance. He never deserved a chance.

Posted · Report post

blah blah,

let's see it.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

IF he actually showed up this year it would be huge for us. And it would totally justify the $26 dollars I spent for his autographed jersey. Might have to find a place for it in the display case. I have been keeping it in the closet for the past 2 years. Wasn't worthy of a spot next to Smith, Kasay, and others,:D

Posted · Report post

nanner... he's really gone?!?!? i think i'm going to cry.

Posted · Report post

If he can block. He will be starting.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='kinderfeld11']blah blah,

let's see it.[/QUOTE]

/thread

Posted · Report post

I can't believe he's 23 and 3 years in the NFL.. if it takes him a little more time to finally come around, but he does come around and becomes a valuable tool, I'm sure we'd kick ourselves for being the typical, too-quick to pull the trigger, fans...

we have entirely too many opinions and fail to just watch the game and let the guys who get paid to put rosters together, do their job... without bitching, every f**king second...

don't get me wrong, we need a WR... and that's mainly the reason we have such contempt towards him.. but he is a young fella, and he's not wasting a roster spot to keep Gettis on the team.. lol

we need him to get it done.. but I don't feel right criticizing a 23 year old for not acting 30, when I was 23 and no where near living up to what these guys are expected..

granted, "thats why they get paid the big money".. but a human brain only adapts so fast.. some faster than others.. I get it when Gantt reports that Jarrett is just now catching on.. A learning curve can't be forced but so fast..
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh no, don't let him get my hopes up again...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bleys']I can't believe he's 23 and 3 years in the NFL.. if it takes him a little more time to finally come around, but he does come around and becomes a valuable tool, I'm sure we'd kick ourselves for being the typical, too-quick to pull the trigger, fans...

we have entirely too many opinions and fail to just watch the game and let the guys who get paid to put rosters together, do their job... without bitching, every f**king second...

don't get me wrong, we need a WR... and that's mainly the reason we have such contempt towards him.. but he is a young fella, and he's not wasting a roster spot to keep Gettis on the team.. lol

we need him to get it done.. but I don't feel right criticizing a 23 year old for not acting 30, when I was 23 and no where near living up to what these guys are expected..

granted, "thats why they get paid the big money".. but a human brain only adapts so fast.. some faster than others.. I get it when Gantt reports that Jarrett is just now catching on.. A learning curve can't be forced but so fast..[/QUOTE]

very true

Posted · Report post

All this wide-receiver drama. Too much. Every day it's someone new. Can't take it anymore. Might explode. Someone just win the number two job for my sake.

Posted · Report post

who bumped this thread?

its either form 2008 or 2009, how dare thee!

Posted · Report post

wheres nannerpuss

Posted · Report post

Talk is cheap. Time to put up or shut up.

Posted · Report post

Dj to seattle

Posted · Report post

...show me bitch.

Posted · Report post

I'm a fan, show us we are wrong D.J. We've been waiting.

Posted · Report post

This was the first season I stopped being a Dwayne Jarrett apologist. Now I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make the team, but I would love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong.

Posted · Report post

i'm pulling for him... in a very pessimistic way.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='marcopolo']Dj to seattle[/QUOTE]

No way, they already have the same kind of player in Mike Williams....who has been more then impressive for the 'Hawks in camp and in the first preseason game....Dwayne will be here on opening day as the number two receiver and will be very solid for us this season....

Posted · Report post

Nooo he can't get serviceable.

I've got all of section 126 chanting "great job dwayne" whenever he blows a route.

Posted · Report post

When Dwayne plays well this year it shouldn't a surprise. The kid simply makes catches when QBs opt to look his way. He did it last season, he did it on Thursday night.....and he will do it this season now that he finally has a legit chance to see the field w/o Moose in front of him.

LaFell ain't got the big body nor the hands that Jarrett does....and that is why both will still be here this year.