Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cancun

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looking at traveling to Cancun in a couple months and wondering who here has been. I've never been out of the country so just wondering what to expect. Any suggestions?

Posted · Report post

Mexico is getting dangerous.....go somewhere else unless you wanna get robbed/raped/kidnapped/murdered.

Posted · Report post

I'd definitely keep it in the country, and if its spring break, choose the right destination for the week of yours. Like south padre is best during texas week. Havasu for arizona state. East coast schools for florida spots.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='joemac']Mexico is getting dangerous.....go somewhere else unless you wanna get robbed/raped/kidnapped/murdered.[/QUOTE]

Certain parts of Mexico. I work with a bunch of 1st or 2nd generation Mexican immigrants and a few of them won't go visit right now. In some areas, it's fine. In some, you might get in trouble if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. In some places, it's pretty much war on the streets. In all seriousness, the deaths in the Mexican drug war are approaching the American deaths suffered in Vietnam.

Resort areas should be ok, just don't get too drunk or wander off. Don't drive. Research the area. You don't want to end up in an acid barrel.

Posted · Report post

go to Costa Rica or Puerto Rico or something like that. Mex is not fun right now.

Posted · Report post

Yeah I wasn't sure how affected the cancun area would be with all the trouble going on in Mexico. I've looked at a few other destinations in the Caribbean and I'm up for any suggestions

Posted · Report post

[quote name='joemac']Mexico is getting dangerous.....go somewhere else unless you wanna get robbed/raped/kidnapped/murdered.[/QUOTE]

Cancun isnt any more dangerous that America is. It is the border towns that have all of the cartel activity. Tijauna is a pretty dangerous place, but Cancun is way down south, closer to Belize and Guatemala than America.

And yes, I went 15 years ago, so it may have changes a lot but when I went it was beautiful. The people are friendly, the food is good and the beer is cold (most of the time).

Posted · Report post

I've been going to Cancun for the last several years and the only effect the drug wars have had is to lower prices and keep the resorts from being packed because many people are scared to travel.

The cartels aren't doing anything violent in the resort towns because they make a lot of money off tourism as well. Tourism money keeps a relatively weak economy going and keeps the cartels in protection money, graft, corruption, etc. They start killing American or foreign tourists it ultimately hurts them by drying up the economy.

Last year we stayed in a place about 20 miles outside the Cancun "Hotel Zone" and had a great time. It was up north and pretty secluded, but it had 9 restaurants and 12 bars with 500 rooms...and was only 40% booked! People thinking the same thing- too dangerous.

[IMG]http://www.excellence-resorts.com/media/xpm_jr_suites_gallery_Day02_988_1704.jpg[/IMG]

We drove thru 3 different security gates before arriving at the hotel and we left the property twice to go horseback riding down on the beach in Playa Riviera and a dinner cruise at the same place.

[IMG]http://www.excellence-resorts.com/media/04_1672.jpg[/IMG]

We flew in on a Saturday and really had the run of the place for 4 days until a wave of people showed up on Thursday, but it still was only about 75% booked at its peak. And the place was huge, 4 pools, a little over a half mile of beach with one hotel next door- the rest was wide open.

[IMG]http://www.excellence-resorts.com/media/05_1674.jpg[/IMG]

It is an all-inclusive and with flights from Charlotte the whole week cost me about $6k... worth every penny. We stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun last trip- amazing...

Posted · Report post

I was in Cancun years ago and before I left someone described it as a huge Myrtle Beach. Pretty good description. Its beautiful though. Back then I took off on my own, rented my own car, etc (I'm adventurous) but not sure I'd do that today without doing some research. From Punta Cancun south down to Cozumel and Tulum I'd think you [I]should [/I]be ok, but like I said, I'd talk with a travel agent or something first.

Posted · Report post

I visited Mexico December of 2011 and had a blast. My wife and i flew in to Cancun air port. We got a cab from our resort to pick us up at the airport and take us to the resort. We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Maya and had the time of our lives. You have nothing to worry about and the people are all very friendly.

Posted · Report post

anywhere in the Mayan is fricken awesome or head over to Cozumel

as for the danger...shit, I'd go to the resort areas of Mexico a thousand times and not have a second of worry at any of them!

Posted · Report post

I've traveled around Mexico, but never been to Cancun. Just remember the basics of being a tourist - stay in well lit areas, don't wander off by yourself, look for official licensed taxis, etc. You should be fine.

I'm not sure Cancun is one of the areas you need to worry about, but keep your head on a swivel regardless.

Posted · Report post

I live here, I'm just fine. Jackass.

Posted · Report post

Went to Cancun for my honeymoon back in 2006, it was most excellent. Had an all-inclusive trip, the only way to go. Its all about partying there, and they cater to it...

Dont get sucked into the time-share bs. Or, if you feel like getting some free stuff, like tickets to Swim with the Dolphins($120+/-) or their amusement parks, try this.. They tell you they need 90mins of your time, answer their questions & sit through their shpeel. Then, an hour & a half after you get there tell them "I am vacationing in the Bahamas next year so I want to see what they have to offer before I make up my mind. Your 90 mins are up, can I have my stuff so I can enjoy my vacation? Kthanksbye..." Get your stuff and leave. Teh people will hit you up in the airport & at your hotel. Do not give them any money. Swimming with teh dolphins is fuggin awesome, absolutely recommend it...

Dont drink the water...

Posted · Report post

Vacation in Cozumel all the time....but then again I love scuba diving. Some of the best diving in the world is on the reefs in Cozumel.

Posted · Report post

A lot of people don't know about Cabo. Cabo is another place you'd want to go. It's relatively safe and there are no drug cartel activities around that area. I wouldn't recommend Mazatlan, that's one of the Cities that are close to HQ of one of the major Cartels. I realize that where you're flying from may factor into this. Cabo is West. So if you're flying from the East, it will take a little bit to get there.

Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, is another place that's not well known, been there several times. It's very low key, it's more of a party town though. Rocky point as it's called is a very bi-lingual town. Just think you're in a border town on the AZ,TX,CA side. Locals 85% of the time will speak English.

Veracruz is beautiful as well, but again, it's not recommended at all, another major cartel is based in that region. Just say no to Veracruz.. trust me.

Acapulco used to be a very amazing place to go visit. I went there several times as a child and 2 times as an adult. Unfortunately because of the governments campaign against drugs. Cartels in that area wreak havoc, it was a lot more dangerous in the 2006-2009 time frame. It's died down some, but I still wouldn't recommend going there. I hate to say it but it's just not safe at all, not even for the locals.

I just recently came back from Mexico City, I went to visit family members that I've never met before. I had a great time taking in the sites, learning more and more about my country. Every major site I went to, every bar or club, whatever. I saw plenty of English speaking natives. I met 2 packers fans on the subway, from Kenosha(?), WI. They were super nice. I thought it was admirable the way they tried to connect because I was wearing my panthers hoodie at the time. They were pleasantly surprised I could speak English fluently like them, so we chatted for a good while. They have been there for 2 weeks and that day was their last. I asked them what they thought of the city. They said it was very magical and that they never thought it would be that way. I personally was surprised. They didn't have a guide at all for most of their trip. They have balls.

Cancun, I can't really comment on, other than its very beautiful. From what I've been told from friends I have back in America. They've gone there, come back, gone, come back. Nothing ever happened. Just had a blast and got hammered.

Just do the research. Mexico is a very beautiful place. Just like ANY country, there's danger. If you're going to go make sure you know about the place. Never let your guard down. I don't care if you go to the safest place in the world, you always have to be on guard.

If you avoid the places I mentioned you should be fine.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I don't think beautiful beaches are as readily available in Cabo as they are in other resort areas of Mexico though...rocky and lots of places with strong currents.

I've been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Loreto and a couple times to the Mayan...and you can't beat the Mayan in my opinion...it really has it all. and...lots of Europeans go there = boobies on the beach

Posted · Report post

We go to Mexico once, sometimes twice a year.

We were just in Puerto Morelos (just south of cancun) a few weeks ago.

You can find trouble anywhere. Stay [B]out[/B] of trouble, don't do anything stupid, and be aware of your surroundings if you are a single young dude.

I was travelling with the kids and in-laws, so trouble wasn't really on the menu.

Posted · Report post

Bring me back some loratab.

500 of em.

Posted · Report post

insert potentially racist OJ Simpson joke here!

Posted · Report post

ignore the greenhorns telling you to stay away from mexico because it's dangerous. if you're not buying cocaine or diddling around in strip joints in tijuana you'll be fine.

my advice is to stay away from cancun. it's totally overdone, you won't even know you're away from america. there are no public beaches there because all the beachfront has been bought up by the glass-and-steel resorts and condominium towers. totally commercialized and ruined. cozumel island is the same.

about twenty miles south of cancun is playa del carmen. it's supposed to be the next up-and-coming cancun. it's still commercialized, and there are plenty of new developments, but there are still loads of open-access beaches, prices are half of what you'll spend in cancun, and there are less tourist tauts and traps. you are also a quick bus ride away from the underground caves that permeate the southern yucatan, which I have not been to but are supposed to be awesome.

take a bus to tulum as well, i think it's an hour or two south. go visit the mayan ruins on the beach, but get there early, especially if you want pictures, because it gets crowded as hell. chichen itza is a few hours west of cancun and is even more spectacular ruins-wise, if you're into that sort of thing.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cancun = new Orleans of Mexico

Saying that, I am planning a trip in August

Posted · Report post

Yeah I was definitely planning on making a trip to see the ruins if possible. I haven't looked into it yet really as far as renting a car and doing it or going on a tour. Plan on spending most of my time at the beach and doing a little site seeing

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hawk']insert potentially racist OJ Simpson joke here![/QUOTE]

I said "you're going to the can, coon". That one?

Posted · Report post

I think the Mayan Riveira has the most beautiful water in the Carib - and I've been everywhere. My favorite place ever is St. Maarten and I go as often as possible. However, the MR is awesome. I went to Playa del Carmen in May/June and then back to Cancun just a month ago, and have another trip planned for August. The trip a month ago was solo during my month off between jobs. I never felt unsafe at all.