61 replies to this topic

#16 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

I was always a fan of this pick.  Johnson is on a massive contract and Hardy is on a one year deal.  If Ealy steps up it should make letting one of those guys go very easy.  Pass rushers are much easier to find than a guy like Cam Newton, who might get the biggest contract in the history of the NFL depending on how these next couple years go.

Edited by hepcat, 05 June 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#17 joemac

joemac

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Would you rather have that, or Cam. I don't believe you can have both long term.

Theres not anyone on the team that I, or anyone in their right mind would choose over Cam.....I dont think its even a question.  Cam and Luke are gonna get monster deals.  Everyone else is expendable.

#18 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

A coach praising his 2nd round draft pick that many fans (and NFL beat writers) questioned when he was selected? I, for one, am completely shocked. 

Next thing you're gonna tell me is how everyone was praising Cam on watching film and working hard. 

Edited by 4Corners, 05 June 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#19 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,961 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

My boy!

#20 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

A coach praising his 2nd round draft pick that many fans (and NFL beat writers) questioned when he was selected? I, for one, am completely shocked.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is how everyone was praising Cam on watching film and working hard.

If only everyone was as smart and concise as you.

Sent from the Carolina Huddle App

#21 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

If only everyone was as smart and concise as you.

Sent from the Carolina Huddle App

What else would you expect him to say? 

PR machine, dude. Rivera is an intelligent guy. He's got a bit of politician in him. 

#22 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

The fact that Rivera gives specific traits he is happy to be seeing tells me it's not fluff. Fluff is non-specific.

#23 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Should've drafted that 8th round rated tackle instead.

Wtf were we thinking?!

#24 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

The fact that Rivera gives specific traits he is happy to be seeing tells me it's not fluff. Fluff is non-specific.

I didn't love the pick but I didn't hate it. Absolutely great value where they got him. I still think they maybe could have gone in a different direction than from a guy who is only going to play when CJ or GH need a quick breather. 

#25 MV%doe

MV%doe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'm dumb enough to hope the panthers keep all three. Besides the panthers refusing to use both RBs on the same down, that's possible with DEs.

#26 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

I didn't love the pick but I didn't hate it. Absolutely great value where they got him. I still think they maybe could have gone in a different direction than from a guy who is only going to play when CJ or GH need a quick breather.

..or on passing downs moving him to the 3-tech. We can find ways to use him

Edited by The Huddler, 05 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#27 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Would you rather have that, or Cam. I don't believe you can have both long term.

I think it is possible.  TV contracts come in I believe next season which should cause a dramatic jump in the cap.  We have I think another 20 mil in dead money this year.  Something is going to give in the runningback department soon also.

We could be looking at another 40-50 mil over the next 2 seasons for Cam, Hardy and Keek.

#28 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

I just hope we can get something for either Hardy or Johnson if Ealy turns out to be a great selection. It would really hurt to just let Hardy walk and him end up with a 15 sack season with the Buccaneers or Seahawks for a mere compensatory 3rd rounder.

#29 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Honestly, I want hardy to stay, but his asking price is going to be way too much. I rather they find a way to trade him for a future draft pick. Get more DE talent in next years draft. Then in the near future find the replacements for Johnson as well. If we sign Cam, there is no way we sign those DE's as well. You still have Luke's contract to look at. Gettleman has his work cut out for him. 

#30 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,501 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

I agree.  At the end of the day, a decent amount hinges on how much he can prove year 1 in whatever role is given.  If it allows us to part ways with someone, it opens cap room for other positions and we got another stud DE on our hands.

It shows how the BPA strategy can have a 2-3 year echo.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Kony Ealy, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com