#46 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Shula has never had a good offense. 

Always been too conservative and lacks imagination. 

I am amazed that people can defend this man. 

#47 panthers123

panthers123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

so why does the same concept of it being acceptable to not have to score as much because of having an elite defense not apply to the panthers?

i've watched plenty of seattle games to see that they are (with the exception of have a true rushing attack) are a mirror image of the panthers...even down to wilson bailing out the offense in clutch situations just like newton does for the panthers.

O it definitely applies to the panthers too. Our D was so good that the offense didn't have to push the ball. That is why Shula shouldnt get as much hate as he does. Shula is average to good in my opinion.  

#48 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

#49 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Wanting to improve in a specific area I don't think should really qualify as "moaning and groaning".  The great teams always try to improve in their weaker areas.   No one''s saying he's the worst OC in the history of football but his playcalling is suspect more times than not, IMO.

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

Edited by nosuchthingasapanther, 25 June 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#50 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

so was chudzinski's playcalling...and he produced a top 10 offense.

i had more wtf headscratching experiences with chud than with shula.

thats because with sula you know exactly what is coming

run 

run or short pass

long developing pass play on 3rd and short

punt

#51 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

he produced a top 10 offense.

Well, that would be the difference.

To your point Chud did get way too cute sometimes but as far as Shula and "suspect" I was referring to a glaring lack of adjustments at times.

It's cool though.  I just want the guy to learn from his mistakes and improve.  We don't necessarily need to get rid of him.  The season hasn't started I can't call for the guys head yet (pause).

#52 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

Well, that would be the difference.

To your point Chud did get way too cute sometimes but as far as Shula and "suspect" I was referring to a glaring lack of adjustments at times.

It's cool though.  I just want the guy to learn from his mistakes and improve.  We don't necessarily need to get rid of him.  The season hasn't started I can't call for the guys head yet (pause).

chud had lots of trouble adjusting. people blamed the defense during that time for blowing leads, but chud's high powered offense would completely disappear when it was needed most.

#53 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

chud had lots of trouble adjusting. people blamed the defense during that time for blowing leads, but chud's high powered offense would completely disappear when it was needed most.

It averaged out though. You knew Chud was gonna deliver about x amount of points. 

With Shula, you are hoping and praying for 21+ points lol

#54 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hey you brought up Chud not me.

Our offense needs to improve from last season.  That's really all I need to say at this point.

#55 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

thats because with sula you know exactly what is coming

run
run or short pass
long developing pass play on 3rd and short
punt

And yet we still ended up top 5 in possession? Forget about firing Shula, that man's a genius!

#56 MedellinHeel

MedellinHeel

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

And yet we still ended up top 5 in possession? Forget about firing Shula, that man's a genius!

does possession = points? 

when did we start judging offenses on possession?

lol

PPG is the only stat that matters. 

#57 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,797 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I've said it before: Shula will own just about any 4-3 zone defense. He is average to below-average against 4-3 man defenses. He is downright awful against the 3-4.

I hope Rivera has taken time this offseason to mentor him on what a 3-4 is designed to do. You have to understand defense to beat said defense.

#58 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,243 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

For those talking about Ramsdell having this huge impact on our passing game, I wouldn't hold your breath. I asked Bill Voth about him and he didn't think, based on what he'd seen at OTAs, that Ramsdell would have a very influential role.

#59 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

No team is perfect at every position. But you can't tell me a team that has Newton, Smith, Tolbert, Olsen, Williams, Gross, Kalil, Ginn is average on offensive talent. Cam alone would make any offense average. Throw in the solid vets around him and the offensive talent was very much above average.

I'll concede Newton, Tolbert, Olsen, Williams, Gross and Kalil all qualify as varying levels of good, but even with all six on the field that's still only about half the unit.

Steve Smith of a few years ago I'd have given you.  Steve Smith of last year?  He was the best receiver in the unit, but not what he used to be, and beyond him the unit was anywhere from inconsistent (Ginn) to borderline awful (LaFell).

I'd add that when only two of your five starting OL can be consistently counted on, you're gong to have problems.

I certainly wouldn't call the playcalling last year perfect, but I generally found it decent.  When I look back at last season, the biggest problem was OL play and a receiving corps that didn't strike fear into anyone (and yes, that includes Smith).

#60 Brothergrim427

Brothergrim427

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Totally agree with you. I had mentioned this in another thread as well. We finished 12-4 in spite of Shula, not because of him. Our defense and some good bounces helped us to that record. We overachieved to be honest. Nothing wrong with wanting a more potent offense to go with a great D. The offense was good in spells but we definitely need more of an offense in case our D has an off game.

Do people not remember how many times Shula drew up a long-developing play on 2nd or 3rd and 3? Or how many times Cam himself had to bail us out? Not to say there weren't bright spots but let's be real here.

to be fair that's the down and distance where you wanna take a shot,and if you can't hit it you convert the easy 3rd or 4th and like 3 logically a defense wants to stop the short game and may not have the guys deep to defend, also kinda hard to call something short when the opponent gets tired of the short game and decides to load the box and come up in coverage 11 man box = 1on1 on the outside. So there

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com