Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarolinaPanthers8789

Hornets Sign Marvin Williams

431 posts in this topic

SEVEN MILLION A YEAR WAS TOO MUCH FOR WILLIAMS!

HE IS NOT WORTH ALMOST AS MUCH AS DENG!

HE IS NOT WORTH MORE A SEASON THAN PAUL PIERCE EVEN AT THIS STAGE OF PIERCE'S CAREER!

The SG spot was the biggest need heading into the offseason, and it makes no sense to tie that much money up in Marvin Williams, hurting your chances at getting the best SG remaining in free agency.

If there was another SG out there that fit the Hornets' system and needs as well as Stephenson, I might be using another name instead of his, but there isn't, so it is what it is.

You should go back and read my post since you have ZERO idea what market value is. You can say you're not using past production to place a value on MW but if you can't say WHY $7M was too much then what else should we believe your reasoning is?

SG was our biggest need. We addressed it in the draft for one. Once McBob left and we drafted a SG, PF became our biggest need.

Not having a starting caliber stretch 4 will have more of a negative impact on this team than not signing another SG.

Sent from my iPhone

Didn't Deng get $20M? Since when are $20M and $14M close to the same number?

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Not to mention Deng has played like hot garbage in recent years.

Marvin could average 15/7 & people will still bash him because he's from UNC. Just like people bash Hairston/Henderson no matter what.

I wouldn't count on it. Both are pretty mediocre scorers, but McBob was a really nice passer. That's one of Marvins biggest weaknesses.

I meant pure offense (i.e. just scoring).

Not having a starting caliber stretch 4 will have more of a negative impact on this team than not signing another SG.

Marvin will be one of the worst starting PFs in the league. 

Marvin will be one of the worst starting PFs in the league.

Don't disagree, necessarily. But having him at PF is a better option than Zeller or Noah.

Sent from my iPhone

You should go back and read my post since you have ZERO idea what market value is. You can say you're not using past production to place a value on MW but if you can't say WHY $7M was too much then what else should we believe your reasoning is?

SG was our biggest need. We addressed it in the draft for one. Once McBob left and we drafted a SG, PF became our biggest need.

Sent from my iPhone

First off, McRoberts left after the draft, not before it, and you still drafted a PF with your first pick in the draft, not a SG, even when you thought you were going to re-sign McRoberts.

Your biggest need this entire offseason was SHOOTING on the wings, before and after McRoberts left. Even after the draft, the expectation was they were going to go hard after a wing scorer in Free Agency, which is why they gave Hayward a max deal, so you trying to rewrite history is ridiculous.

What, did the needs all of a sudden change after Utah matched? If it was PF, why didn't you sign Marvin Williams before Hayward? Get real. It's still the same, which is why everyone and their mother thought Stephenson was automatically the target after Utah matched.

You still had Zeller and Vonleh, so all you needed to do was bring in a veteran PF on a bargain contract to help out there. It's not like you were replacing an All-Star to begin with. You had two young PFs from the last two drafts who you still expect to become very good NBA players, and at SG you had Gerald Henderson, who you know will never be much better than he currently is, and PJ Hairston, who you drafted towards the bottom of the 1st Rd.

Whether McRoberts re-signed or not, acquiring a starting caliber SG was always considered to be the biggest need for your lineup, and anyone who disagrees now, even if they work for the Hornets, is lying.

Sent from my iPhone

Deng is getting $10M per, and Williams is getting $7M per. Deng's number is justified based on his body of work and the fact that the market for him was decent. Williams cannot justify his. 

Anyone who thinks I'm opposed to Williams' contract because he went to UNC is just a lazy thinker. 

First off, McRoberts left after the draft, not before it, and you still drafted a PF with your first pick in the draft, not a SG, even when you thought you were going to re-sign McRoberts.

Your biggest need this entire offseason was SHOOTING on the wings, before and after McRoberts left. Even after the draft, the expectation was they were going to go hard after a wing scorer in Free Agency, which is why they gave Hayward a max deal, so you trying to rewrite history is ridiculous.

What, did the needs all of a sudden change after Utah matched? If it was PF, why didn't you sign Marvin Williams before Hayward? Get real.

You still had Zeller and Vonleh, so all you needed to do was bring in a veteran PF on a bargain contract to help out there. It's not like you were replacing an All-Star to begin with. You had two young PFs from the last two drafts who you still expect to become very good NBA players, and at SG you had Gerald Henderson, who you know will never be much better than he currently is, and PJ Hairston, who you drafted towards the bottom of the 1st Rd.

Whether McRoberts re-signed or not, acquiring a starting caliber SG was always considered to be the biggest need for your lineup, and anyone who disagrees, even if they work for the

Hornets, is lying.

SG was the biggest need going into the draft but Noah at 9 was too good of a value to not pick.

Hayward was considered one of the top FAs available, that's why they went hard after him. Since they didn't get him the yes, focusing on PF is the next most important thing. More important that SG since you have 3 on your roster.

Can you give me an example of a vet PF who would have been a bargain?

I would like to have Lance on the team, but not addressing the PF position would do more harm than upgrading the SG position. I think MW has a chance to be a decent player on this team. More importantly it keeps the rotation of the bigs in place and it keep Vonleh from having to be an impact player right away.... Which he isn't ready to be.

Sent from my iPhone

Deng is getting $10M per, and Williams is getting $7M per. Deng's number is justified based on his body of work and the fact that the market for him was decent. Williams cannot justify his.

Anyone who thinks I'm opposed to Williams' contract because he went to UNC is just a lazy thinker.

You can look at it on a yearly basis or overall contract....either way they're not comparable like you said.

Who is another FA PF that would have been a better player than MW and at what price?

Sent from my iPhone

I do like how you say you don't place a value on players because of their past production then continue to refer to their career stats like you do here talking about Deng's "body of work".

Which one is it?

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't count on it. Both are pretty mediocre scorers, but McBob was a really nice passer. That's one of Marvins biggest weaknesses.

I stand corrected, I checked both of their shot charts and both shot chart's are nearly identical.