Journalism made easy.

well one of our reasons is facing a pretty long suspension

#92 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

"D"

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Fiz rears his ugly head, and a bunch of relative noobs fell for it (not blaming them).  LOL. 

yep, been on ignore for three years now.

#93 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

what does getting stomped at home in the playoffs do?

Still wins you the NFC South.

Sent from my iPhone while fishing using CarolinaHuddle

#94 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Still wins you the NFC South.

Sent from my iPhone while fishing using CarolinaHuddle

Braves fan?

#95 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

I can see a lot of reasons why we could do poorly but I would rather not face the music until it happens. Pretty much I believe in Ron Rivera's ability to coach great defense, and I think that can be enough to carry us to a winning season. Everything else is up in the air. The O-line needs to come together, Cam needs to improve, Cam's ankle needs to be 100%, our WRs need to show up big time, and the new TEs need to play similar to shockey. 

#96 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Played to our strength what the hell? Putting Cam Newton in 3rd and long more than almost any other QB in the league?

Time of possession, yards per drive, field position.

Our D wasn't forced to be on the field for an extended time...it kept them fresh and weren't put in bad spots.

Lack of talent and our O struggling to run basic run plays successfully put us in 3rd and long. Goes back to a talent issue

#97 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Played to our strength what the hell? Putting Cam Newton in 3rd and long more than almost any other QB in the league?

Only 2 defenses in the NFL defended less offensive drives than our D.

Keeping a good D fresh helps your good D be elite. That is playing to your strength.....ball control and long time consuming drives

Offense was one of the best in yards and points per drive. Also one of the best at fewest turnovers per drive.

How is that not playing to your strength....letting your D be elite

#98 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I really hate the faith put in Ron Rivera. People think he changed his philosophy or something which frankly isn't true. Someone just showed him some relative value chart of going for it on 4th, or going for TDs deep in opposing territories, etc. These things aren't daring or innovative; they're logical.

And even if he's changed on 3-4 plays a game, he's still letting shula call the most horseshit offense in the NFL for the rest of them.

I hope they implode this year and they bring in Gus Malzahn.

Malzahn for offensive coordinator in the NFL ??? That heavy read option would not work here. I get your point somewhat but you went way to the left. He would have some innovative ideas but some of those same innovative thoughts would not translate due to the speed of the game and NFL player discipline to gaps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#99 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Only 2 defenses in the NFL defended less offensive drives than our D.

Keeping a good D fresh helps your good D be elite. That is playing to your strength.....ball control and long time consuming drives

Offense was one of the best in yards and points per drive. Also one of the best at fewest turnovers per drive.

How is that not playing to your strength....letting your D be elite

so he's a good offensive coordinator because the defense did well. yeah i'm not buying that at all, that's a terrible argument.

know what else helps defenses? scoring points. playing keep away is fine if you can actually score from time to time, and against any reasonable defense the panthers were shut down. 

#100 Rise of The Hive

Rise of The Hive

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Believe in the Carolina Panthers....

and Roman Reigns!

#101 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

so he's a good offensive coordinator because the defense did well. yeah i'm not buying that at all, that's a terrible argument.

know what else helps defenses? scoring points. playing keep away is fine if you can actually score from time to time, and against any reasonable defense the panthers were shut down.

He was a good OC based on what we did as a team.

Defense only did as well as it did bc of the type offense we ran.

Again, you get Cam a better supporting cast and then I will support an upgrade from Shula. Until then, a "creative" OC won't have success here bc we don't have the talent. Result would be turnovers and inefficient offense.....and that impacts how good our D can be

I don't think Shula is good. O is boring. With the talent we have on O....Shula ball makes sense with a great D. That principle has taken many teams to the post season.

#102 Brothergrim427

Brothergrim427

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

Fiz rears his ugly head, and a bunch of relative noobs fell for it (not blaming them). LOL.

as a newb myself what's the deal with that ?

#103 Panthers8969

Panthers8969

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

I really hate the faith put in Ron Rivera. People think he changed his philosophy or something which frankly isn't true. Someone just showed him some relative value chart of going for it on 4th, or going for TDs deep in opposing territories, etc. These things aren't daring or innovative; they're logical.

And even if he's changed on 3-4 plays a game, he's still letting shula call the most horseshit offense in the NFL for the rest of them.

I hope they implode this year and they bring in Gus Malzahn.

Are u a panther fan? Serious question

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#104 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,067 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

I get what you're saying, Fiz, but I still don't believe anyone can credibly say whether the offense will be a failure or success with any certainty or surety before the season begins, much less the preseason.

And it's ludicrous to cast negativity on a rookie who has pretty much impressed a GM, HC and receivers coach who all have Super Bowl rings on their resumes.  Like I said before, the reasoning behind some of your opinions is logically sound, but your statement regarding Benjamin is outrageous.  

Edited by top dawg, 23 July 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#105 CPantherKing

CPantherKing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

what does getting stomped at home in the playoffs do?

Panthers lost in the playoffs because their red zone offense had no serious threat outside Olsen in the passing game and the 49ers stacked Cam and Tolbert with the mash unit of guards the Panthers put together.

Panthers had no trouble moving down the field. Panthers had no trouble getting first downs. Panthers had no trouble controlling the clock.

We all agree the Panthers young defense from a year ago will be better. Especially in the front seven.

So, looking at the stats when it comes to offensive production which comes down to 1st downs percentage, time of possession, and touchdowns in the red zone we know what the Panthers needed to do in the off season. So, have the Panthers improved their red zone offense from a season ago? Do the Panthers have more red zone receiving threats? Will the person ell make defenses respect the back of the end zone? Are the Panthers getting back a healthy Jonathan Stewart to team with Cam and Tolbert in the red zone? Are the Guards better off for the red zone running game compared to a season ago? Will lanes open up for the running game with the passing threats the Panthers now have in the red zone?

This is what is not talked about. This is what is key for the Panthers improving and taking the next step. And anyone who overlooks this and fails to understand its importance has no idea what the Panthers were doing with their off season strategy. You don't win games by throwing 50 yard bombs to speedy receivers. You win by limiting turnovers, playing strong defense, controling the clock, moving the chains, and being the better team with the better match-ups in the red zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com