Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

School me on Charles Godfrey and defense

88 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Godfrey has always been a reliable tackler, but has struggled in coverage. Then again, he has never operated behind a great front 7. I would have liked to see him at safety behind our defensive front.

Tackling is one of Godfrey's biggest weaknesses
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The only thing Goddfrey was good at was his John Cena impersonation for no apparent reason.....

Posted · Report post

I'm neutral towards Godfrey because of the hard-to-predict variable of his achilles injury.  It is funny though, watching the forums gradual turn against Godfrey over the past year.   Seems like not that long ago he was our consensus best secondary player.....now he can't cover the covers on his bed.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Lol

What's funny is people forget how bad a player is once he changes jersey's.

Posted · Report post

The Godfrey contract rarely gets brought up among Hurney's blunders, but IMO it may have been the most head scratching contract he gave out.  At least all the other guys he paid could actually play.  Kalil is arguably the best center in the league, he may have overpaid CJ but CJ is definitely an elite DE, DeAngelo was coming off of a 1500 yard year and Stewart was arguably a better back than DeAngelo when Hurney resigned him, Beason and TD were both elite LBs who caught the injury bug hard.  In short, while some of the contracts look awful in hindsight, all of them save for not choosing one or the other between DeAngelo and J. Stew, all of them were understandable at the time.

Godfrey?  No.  IMO, Godfrey was always an average starting safety at best.  Yeah, he made some big splash plays that the fans loved, but for every one of those, he was good for blowing at least 2-3 other plays.  Yet, Hurney paid the guy like he was Ed Reed.

Posted · Report post

Tackling is one of Godfrey's biggest weaknesses

Do you watch football? 

Posted · Report post

Harper hasnt been anywhere near a better safety than Godfrey the last few years, it got to a point when the Saints were taking him out on passing downs. Godfrey haters can whine all they want.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/carolina-really-going-start-roman-harper-327959/

I wouldn't argue against that either.  Other than failing to address our OT situation, signing Harper for decent money is probably the most head scratching move Gettleman has made in his short time here.  I could've understood Harper possibly being brought in for a veteran minimum deal, but to give him $4.5M over two years with $1.5M guaranteed?  Why?  Surely there couldn't have been much competition for his services.

Posted · Report post

The coaches just have too much love for him and are doing everything they can to keep him. Wilkis is the best coach on the staff and I trust him. If he's in godfreys corner, so am I.

Posted · Report post

Harper hasnt been anywhere near a better safety than Godfrey the last few years, it got to a point when the Saints were taking him out on passing downs. Godfrey haters can whine all they want.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/carolina-really-going-start-roman-harper-327959/

Harper was a bad fit in wolfmans D, he'll fit what the panthers need much better. Basically he'll be a WLB that biltzs and leads the DBs.

Posted · Report post

Do you watch football?

Yes, and tackling isn't something Godfrey was good at.