Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acc blows!!!

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

what a disaster the ACC is in right now

VT hung with a top 5 program sure, but their offense with the exception of Ryan Williams looked atrocious at times....That man is a complete badass that can run through people, if Wilson is anything that he is hyped up to be the Hokies will have a scary rushing attack.

- VT Losing to Bama
- NCSU losing to USC
- Wake got it handed to them by Baylor (What has happened to Skinner, I thought he was one of the best ACC QBs, but not anymore)
- California destroying Mayland
- Richmond putting it to Duke again
- And the Grandaddy of them all UVA laying down for William & Mary (I mean we all knew UVA was going to struggle this year, but W&M?? Really?? If Groh still has his job next week I will be shocked)

I am one of the biggest ACC fans around, but damn does the ACC look really, REALLY weak right now

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Tweeder']what a disaster the ACC is in right now

VT hung with a top 5 program sure, but their offense with the exception of Ryan Williams looked atrocious at times....That man is a complete badass that can run through people, if Wilson is anything that he is hyped up to be the Hokies will have a scary rushing attack.

- VT Losing to Bama
- NCSU losing to USC
- Wake got it handed to them by Baylor (What has happened to Skinner, I thought he was one of the best ACC QBs, but not anymore)
- California destroying Mayland
- Richmond putting it to Duke again
- And the Grandaddy of them all UVA laying down for William & Mary (I mean we all knew UVA was going to struggle this year, but W&M?? Really?? If Groh still has his job next week I will be shocked)

I am one of the biggest ACC fans around, but damn does the ACC look really, REALLY weak right now[/QUOTE]

Let's be fair. Bama should have won that game. VT did well but the outcome was expected.
NCSU was just an average ACC school losing to an average SEC school
Baylor is a pretty decent team actually. They just get overshadowed by OU and Texas
Got me on Duke.
Got me on that one.

Posted · Report post

Too early to tell. It's one game into the season guys. That would be like saying the NFC South BLOWS if the Panthers lost to the Eagles, the Falcons lost to the Dolphins, the Bucs lost to the Cowboys, but the Aints managed to beat the Lions. I mean saying that a conference blows after one week just screams irrational. Let the season play out...

Posted · Report post

Baylor is a good football team, Robert Griffin should and probably will be a heisman contender next year or the year after if he stays.

Posted · Report post

VT has nothing to be ashamed of. Let's be honest...most people around the country expected them to get blown out. That was the best game of the day as far as I'm concerned.

I was really surprised that Wake didn't look ready to play. Skinner has been there for 10 years it seems, so I expected him to play much better than that.

Posted · Report post

Bama's offense isn't going to blow out anyone so I wouldn't take it as a moral victory for VT.

Posted · Report post

I watched the VT/Bama game. Did anyone else notice how many helmets came off during the game? It had to be 5-7 times players had their helmets come off. What's up wit dat?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Saint J']Bama's offense isn't going to blow out anyone so I wouldn't take it as a moral victory for VT.[/QUOTE]

Did Ingram and Julio Jones play? If the answer is yes then I'm going to go ahead and mention them as a pretty formidable offense this year...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15']Did Ingram and Julio Jones play? If the answer is yes then I'm going to go ahead and mention them as a pretty formidable offense this year...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they played. Ingram ran all over the Hokies late in the game and Jones had a few nice catches even though they double teamed him all game long. That new QB they have really has some potential too. He definitely has some balls, because he stood in there and took some hits and still made some pretty good throws.

I would not underestimate Alabama's offense if I was an opposing coach, that's for sure.

Posted · Report post

ingram was a beast. helps that the VT D was out there 37 freakn minutes and 2 sec casue stinespring's bastard offence sucked yet again. all spring, i heard the coaches talk about getting RW in space, the times they did he was great, all 3 times............. add in wilson's punt return theatrics, i am thrilled with next years rb group (run the Flexbone Option Offense dammit we would have the personel), and they will be fine this year. they lead into the 4th. happy about that, and honestly wasnt surprised the last quarter when alabama turned it on and creamed them through the air and on the ground: the D was gassed, they figured out that carmicheal sucks at DB (his guy was #4 that cancellor had to repeatedly chase down), and figured out that cody grim is not a starting caliber LB. i love cody as a pass rusher, but he is a liability as a run stopper, he is a slow DB playing LB imo. 2nd alabama is 2x deeper than VT, and any non florida ACC program. they have athletes on the bench that could start for atleast 1/2 the ACC schools. they were fresher at the end on both sides of the ball, and when VT rotated the DL to stay fresh, the pounding got worse.

there was talk stinespring would be out if he sucked last year, he did but you cant fire a coach from a BCS bowl win i guess. he yet again showed that VT cannot, will not, sniff a title game, much less the a NC with him as OC. and at this point (unless the florida schools get it together), the ACC is doomed to again be right ahead of the big least as the weakest bsc conference (and maybe the big 10)

the ACC yet again has 1, repeat 1 offense that is top 25 caliber atm: GT. GT is a better navy who took OSU to the brink. dwyer is the best back in the ACC, and he is the freakn FB in that offense, the signle hardest guy for any D to stop in that O is the FB. add in nesbit getting another year under his belt, and thomas at wr, if they can get a 60% completion percentage, they may walk away with the acc title. VT can slow them, but i am not sold we can score enough now. now GT may not have a D to go with it after loosing all the talent up front.

tonight might be the best 2 teams in the ACC if they can move the ball, as they both have inconsistant but good D (FSU sounds scary good on D).

as for the rest of the acc games, UVA is a disgrace, UNC shoulda been playing 2nd stringers in the 2nd Q, not just starting to role, NCSTATE my god that was painful on offense and usc sucked worse than tech on offense, maryland not surprised, duke ugh. BC did their thing though (thats a surprise with the turnover there). GT meh, johnson had the 2nd string in at half.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chbright']ingram was a beast. helps that the VT D was out there 37 freakn minutes and 2 sec casue stinespring's bastard offence sucked yet again. all spring, i heard the coaches talk about getting RW in space, the times they did he was great, all 3 times............. add in wilson's punt return theatrics, i am thrilled with next years rb group (run the Flexbone Option Offense dammit we would have the personel), and they will be fine this year. they lead into the 4th. happy about that, and honestly wasnt surprised the last quarter when alabama turned it on and creamed them through the air and on the ground: the D was gassed, they figured out that carmicheal sucks at DB (his guy was #4 that cancellor had to repeatedly chase down), and figured out that cody grim is not a starting caliber LB. i love cody as a pass rusher, but he is a liability as a run stopper, he is a slow DB playing LB imo. 2nd alabama is 2x deeper than VT, and any non florida ACC program. they have athletes on the bench that could start for atleast 1/2 the ACC schools. they were fresher at the end on both sides of the ball, and when VT rotated the DL to stay fresh, the pounding got worse.

there was talk stinespring would be out if he sucked last year, he did but you cant fire a coach from a BCS bowl win i guess. he yet again showed that VT cannot, will not, sniff a title game, much less the a NC with him as OC. and at this point (unless the florida schools get it together), the ACC is doomed to again be right ahead of the big least as the weakest bsc conference (and maybe the big 10)

the ACC yet again has 1, repeat 1 offense that is top 25 caliber atm: GT. GT is a better navy who took OSU to the brink. dwyer is the best back in the ACC, and he is the freakn FB in that offense, the signle hardest guy for any D to stop in that O is the FB. add in nesbit getting another year under his belt, and thomas at wr, if they can get a 60% completion percentage, they may walk away with the acc title. VT can slow them, but i am not sold we can score enough now. now GT may not have a D to go with it after loosing all the talent up front.

tonight might be the best 2 teams in the ACC if they can move the ball, as they both have inconsistant but good D (FSU sounds scary good on D).

as for the rest of the acc games, UVA is a disgrace, UNC shoulda been playing 2nd stringers in the 2nd Q, not just starting to role, NCSTATE my god that was painful on offense and usc sucked worse than tech on offense, maryland not surprised, duke ugh. BC did their thing though (thats a surprise with the turnover there). GT meh, johnson had the 2nd string in at half.[/QUOTE]

^this

every bit of what CH is true....only thing he left out was how impressive Virgil was

Posted · Report post

if julio jones is a top 10 guy in the draft in 2011, then virgil should be a 2nd rounder, much like flowers. he held jones down at boundary corner, likely better than macho would have.

after the game last night, i smell rematch (fsu miami). both seam to have finally figured it out.

Posted · Report post

baylor and richmond are good football teams
ncstate and scar are too bad football teams
Virginia only plays well when UNC shows up
VPI was a little outmatched but def. showed up (w/o) Evans I might add
UNC did not play anybody
poor Northeastern..damn
Clemson looked OK
GT looked strong
MD..that was bad
daU and F$U looked pretty darn good to me

ACC is not that bad. It's far from over.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolinarolls']baylor and richmond are good football teams
[B]ncstate and scar are too bad football teams
[/B]Virginia only plays well when UNC shows up
VPI was a little outmatched but def. showed up (w/o) Evans I might add
UNC did not play anybody
poor Northeastern..damn
Clemson looked OK
GT looked strong
MD..that was bad
daU and F$U looked pretty darn good to me

ACC is not that bad. It's far from over.[/QUOTE]

That is such a biased statement its ridiculous. I hate UNC but I would never say they are a bad football team if they lost to an SEC team because of one or two plays. Your bias automatically voids any opinion that you have...

I would like to think that even those that hate NCSU like Tweeder and Monstercat would agree with me on this statement...At least they are rational thinkers.

Posted · Report post

NCSU and Scar are two average football teams. Bad? No. Both will be bowl eligible this year.

Posted · Report post

I don't think you can base the ability of a team on one game.

BYU beat Oklahoma...are they now a national title contender?

Ohio State needed a 2pt conversion INT to beat Navy...Does that mean that they are now a mediocre team in the Big 10?

Boston College beat a team 54-0...Are they all of a sudden a threat to win their division?

I mean until you get into conference you have no clue how good your team is and that is a fact...ESPECIALLY when it was as uneventful a game as the NCSU game was. Lets not forget this is the same offense that put up a combined 150 points in their last 5 games. I don't think they have forgotten everything that made them good at the end of last year.

Posted · Report post

Tweeder you're right the ACC sucks. Big East is better than them. Which we will find out Saturday when Uconn plays UNC.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Squirrel']Tweeder you're right the ACC sucks. Big East is better than them. Which we will find out Saturday when Uconn plays UNC.[/QUOTE]

Easy now. The Big East hasn't done anything either.:p

Of course, I'm not about to take Uconn lightly though. They lost Brown, but they still have two good RB's. They should give UNC's defense a pretty good test.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15']That is such a biased statement its ridiculous. I hate UNC but I would never say they are a bad football team if they lost to an SEC team because of one or two plays. Your bias automatically voids any opinion that you have...

I would like to think that even those that hate NCSU like Tweeder and Monstercat would agree with me on this statement...At least they are rational thinkers.[/QUOTE]

no they are not bad football teams, because of two reasons

A) They have only played one game this season

B) They both have beat Carolina within the past two years

now people are thinking why make this thread after one game if one of my arguments is they have only played one game....remember this is the SEC we are talking about even their middle of the pack schools are much more talented then most of the nation, and also the fact of it is they are not Division 1-AA which the ACC lost to two of those schools, and one of those schools is a really REALLY bad school

I would say out of all the loses I would exempt two because of who they played, it just hurt the conference that they lost also

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15']I don't think you can base the ability of a team on one game.

BYU beat Oklahoma...are they now a national title contender?

Ohio State needed a 2pt conversion INT to beat Navy...Does that mean that they are now a mediocre team in the Big 10?

Boston College beat a team 54-0...Are they all of a sudden a threat to win their division?

I mean until you get into conference you have no clue how good your team is and that is a fact...ESPECIALLY when it was as uneventful a game as the NCSU game was. Lets not forget this is the same offense that put up a combined 150 points in their last 5 games. I don't think they have forgotten everything that made them good at the end of last year.[/QUOTE]

Well if BYU runs the table they have a legitimate gripe. And that's very possible.

Every team in the big 10 is mediocre.

No.

True.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Squirrel']Tweeder you're right the ACC sucks. Big East is better than them. Which we will find out Saturday when Uconn plays UNC.[/QUOTE]

umm didn't UConn almost loose to Ohio? Also, didn't Carolina roll UConn last year before all their talented graduated or went to the NFL?

Here is how I would rate the Conferences right now

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big 12 (without Bradford, with him I would put them ahead of PAc-10)
4. Big-10
5. ACC and Big East

Posted · Report post

I would put the ACC ahead of the Big-10. Only thing i would do different.

Posted · Report post

After thinking about this long and hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say. I don't think it matters that much about how we are perceived next to other conferences.

Unless you have national title aspirations OOC doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Lets be honest VaTech was the only team with a prayer and it was all but lost when Evans went down. Teams that win their respective divisions still go to prestigious bowls no matter what. The ACC Champ still gets to try to prove itself against a top 15 team in the Orange Bowl. It sucks to listen to the SEC and the Big 12 brag about their football but that is what they do...they freakin breed football players down there. Unless we are unreasonable fans or the once in a decade VaTech teams we aren't expecting national title runs. Most of us would be happy if our teams went 9-3 on a regular basis with a legit run every once in a while to be on the national stage...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Saint J']Bama's offense isn't going to blow out anyone so I wouldn't take it as a moral victory for VT.[/QUOTE]

I would say that 498 yards against one of the traditionally better defenses in the country is pretty good. Everyone talked about the defensive struggle that the game would be. In reality, Bama scored about 48 points (34 of their own and they gave VT a couple of their touchdowns).

Posted · Report post

[quote name='unicar15']After thinking about this long and hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say. I don't think it matters that much about how we are perceived next to other conferences.

Unless you have national title aspirations OOC doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Lets be honest VaTech was the only team with a prayer and it was all but lost when Evans went down. Teams that win their respective divisions still go to prestigious bowls no matter what. The ACC Champ still gets to try to prove itself against a top 15 team in the Orange Bowl. It sucks to listen to the SEC and the Big 12 brag about their football but that is what they do...they freakin breed football players down there. Unless we are unreasonable fans or the once in a decade VaTech teams we aren't expecting national title runs. Most of us would be happy if our teams went 9-3 on a regular basis with a legit run every once in a while to be on the national stage...[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, and I guess it just sucks because out of all the sports football is the one I live and die for. I guess it is my own fault for choosing to be a fan of a school that is in a conference that concerns itself more with basketball than football. It sucks, because you have teams like Texas, LSU, Florida, UCLA, etc that can pretty much do it all pretty easy in regards with building a football, basketball, baseball program, etc.