• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goondal

Who is in your playoff

Six weeks in we have enough to really start judging these teams.  Based on what has happened on the field so far, who you be in your playoff?

1) Utah
Only team to beat Cal, one of the top ten offenses in the country.  Only team to beat Michigan, probably the top defense in the country.  Won in Oregon by forty-two.  While that win may not look as impressive as it normally would, Michigan State's best win is a three point victory over Oregon at home.  Looks pretty lame by comparison.  Any voter that puts anybody else on top is making their decision using criteria other than what has happened on the field and should lose their vote.  They may not be the best team, they may not finish here, and that Pac-12 South schedule is going to be tough as hell to navigate, but I really see no argument for anybody else being #1 at this point.

2) Florida
They have struggled against weak competition several times, so have most of the top ten.  That win over Mississippi is the most impressive win by any of the undefeated teams outside of Utah beating Michigan.  I expect them to lose a couple of times but based one what has happened on the field they get my vote.

3) Baylor
64 PPG, 12 more than the second most in the nation.  That is just plain silly.  They have not played the toughest of competition so far but other teams have played weak schedules and struggled against them.

4) Michigan
Nobody scores against them, literally.  Yes they have a loss while other teams are undefeated but that loss is to the #1 team in the country.  I am not going to punish them in comparison to other teams because of that.  Fourteen points surrendered in the four games since that loss.

First Four Out
Clemson
Ohio State
LSU
Texas A&M

New week means time for a new top four.

1) Utah
Impressive once again.  They have done the most so far, although LSU is close.

2) LSU
Big win over UF and still undefeated.  That Alabama game will likely decide a playoff spot.

3) Baylor
Have not really beaten anybody but have also done what they are supposed to do while thiose below them have all had near misses against vastly inferior opponents.  62+ PPG is silly.

4) Ohio State
Finally a performance that is worthy of the team that is ranked first in the polls.

First Four Out
Clemson:  quietly solid all season, the FSU match-up could decide playoff slot
Michigan State: better to be lucky than good
Alabama: impressive victory, but every time Mississippi loses their resume takes a hit
Stanford: see Alabama and substitute Northwestern for Mississippi.  If not for that game I might have them #1

Assuming UF keeps playing well (I almost expect them to have a letdown game shortly), the potential rematch with LSU will be very interesting. Say LSU runs the table and gets to the SECCG and Florida wins out and somehow manages to beat LSU in the SECCG, you have two 1-loss SEC teams, both of which have only lost to each other. Could be interesting.

Baylor have not yet done anything, aside from score a metric fug ton of points. But they will be tested before the season is over. Oklahoma should be a tough game for them, and the O/U for Baylor-TCU should be set at about 120. I think we will have some more shake ups, so it's really tough to call right now.

Assuming UF keeps playing well (I almost expect them to have a letdown game shortly), the potential rematch with LSU will be very interesting. Say LSU runs the table and gets to the SECCG and Florida wins out and somehow manages to beat LSU in the SECCG, you have two 1-loss SEC teams, both of which have only lost to each other. Could be interesting.

Baylor have not yet done anything, aside from score a metric fug ton of points. But they will be tested before the season is over. Oklahoma should be a tough game for them, and the O/U for Baylor-TCU should be set at about 120. I think we will have some more shake ups, so it's really tough to call right now.

Oh there will definitely be more shake-ups.  I do not expect Utah to go undefeated, too many potential land mines for them in that division.

Alabama and Stanford look like the best teams in the country, but their losses look worse every time Northwestern and Ole Miss lay eggs

1) LSU
still not convinced that they will beat Alabama, but right now they deserve to be #1

2) Clemson
damn they look dominant, but we all know that they will blow it

3) Baylor
have not really beaten anybody, but they have pulverized people and never been in any danger

4) Ohio State
also have not played anybody, and they have struggle at times where Baylor has not

First Four Out
Stanford- has surpassed Alabama for me as the top one-loss team.  Honestly, if they had not forgotten to show up against Northwestern then they might be #1
Florida-  their only loss so far was to the #1 team, on the road, a few days after losing their QB.  
Alabama- I have then out now, but beat LSU and win out and they will be in
Michigan State- I guess they are here  by defaul

LSU-Alabama-Florida is an interesting SEC dynamic, because I think all teams would beat each other at home. If that holds, it's Bama-UF in the SEC Championship.

TCU is undefeated and gets Baylor at home, so I think they are still in the discussion. But they have a tough road to navigate before that.

LSU-Alabama-Florida is an interesting SEC dynamic, because I think all teams would beat each other at home. If that holds, it's Bama-UF in the SEC Championship.

TCU is undefeated and gets Baylor at home, so I think they are still in the discussion. But they have a tough road to navigate before that.

Deinitly in the discussion.  I actually have them in my playoff prediction, along with LSU, Michigan State, and UCLA (oops).  Like Sparty though, they have not really looked impressive and have struggled against teams they should have beaten handily.  They have both OK teams coming up before hosting Baylor so if they win out they will earn a spot.

On another note, I read an intersting article yesterday.  Should UNC-Duke-Pitt round robin each other and finish 7-1 the tibreaker would end up being the highest finisher in the CFP Rankings.  So it is possible that Clemson would not know until Tuesday evening who they play on Saturday.  The same scenario would play out should Ohio State beat Michigan State but lose to Michigan and all teams finish 7-1.

With the first CFP ranking coming out this week I decided to extend mine to include any undefeated team as well as any Power Five team with only one loss. Any mid-major with a loss or any two loss Power Five school is not worth my time at this point.

1) LSU: this was the easiest part of the process for me.  They are undefeated and their best win (Florida) is better than that of the other unbeatens
2) Clemson: I really do think that they are going to lose at some point, but as of right now their resume has them second
3) Ohio State: not sure what took Urban so long at maing Barrett QB1, but now it is back to Cardale.  Could be intersting if he either (a) struggles and they lose to a Minnesota team that should have beaten Michigan or (b) has an amazing game and the controversy continue
4) Florida: surprisingly overlooked to this point for me.  To me their resume is clearly better than media darling Alabama

First Four Out
5) Baylor: played nobody, but they have pulverized everything in front of them.  They will get their chance to prove themselves...and they will lose
6) Stanford: I was ready to put them top four until they almost lost at Wazzu
7) TCU: they have struggled at times with all those injuries on the defensive side of the ball, but they seem to be trending upward.
8) Alabama: similar resume to Florida, just not as good

The Rest
9) Notre Dame
10) Oklahoma State
11) Michigan State
12) Utah
13) Memphis
14) Oklahoma
15) Iowa
16) Florida State
17) Houston
18) North Carolina
19) Toledo 

Shocking, Alabama is 4th... Jeez people can we just do away with scrub games and shorten the season to 10 games, then have a legitimate playoff? 

I cannot for the life of me understand why Alabama is fourth.  If they win this week then sure, put them fourth, but their best win is A&M and they lost at home against Ole Miss.  Florida meanwhile destroyed Ole Miss and their loss was at LSU.

Florida is pretty much a 100% lock to wrap up the East at this point, barring a massive letdown against Vandy. Now the big test will be remaining undefeated until the SEC Championship game.

It would be wild if one-loss UF beats an undefeated LSU in the SEC Championship game. Two one-loss SEC teams who lost to each other.

40 minutes ago, Falcons1stPanthers2nd said:

UNC wins out beats an undefeated clemson team in the ACCCG and gets #4 and wins it all. i can dream right

All of the bold is quite possible.