Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ivan The Awesome

One thing is clear, the brass is giving Shula the benefit of the doubt.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Either way Ron went all in with Shula. I remember distinctly Gettleman saying he wanted some change but Ron stepped in and said he trusts Shula and the staff. The result will be on the field this coming season. If they fail to make the playoffs and have a sub 500 record, I wouldn't doubt one second they'll be looking for work. 

Voth reported a while back that Gettleman urged Rivera to make some changes to his offensive staff, specifically regarding Shula and Ken Dorsey.

He likely figured Ron would fight for Shula but sacrifice Dorsey hence his stated expectation that Dorsey would be replaced.

Instead, Ron reportedly"stuck his neck out" for both.

If they fail this season, Rivera could very well be the one who pays the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Coaches are going to have more input in this year's draft.

As has been reported many times, the coaching staff has always had full input on the draft.

Gettleman prefers a collaborative approach where everyone has input. He then makes the final decision after listening to what they all have to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Last year was less about Shula and more about not addressing problems. People love his as a scape goat but the truth is he needs talent just like the defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Newton needs to get over his yips as well

Agreed.

Part of that might be preventing him from being the most hit QB in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like an offense heavy draft in the early rounds as well. This organziation seems to pretty much always concentrate on drafting defense early unless its emergency situation (ex. see Cam and KB) .

If I were them I'd get Fournette at 8 , Westbrook or Zay Jones at 40, and Legett or Butt with our late 2nd. Use the rest of the draft for defense if you want.  Can't keep drafting high round talent on the defensive side of the field and expect your offense to be  consistently great.

Hell even if they're still determined to use most of the draft on defense? Okay fine. Go get Fournette  , Corey Davis , or OJ Howard with pick 8 and use rest of the draft for defense if  you're so determined. That'll still be a nice upgrade for our offense.

I would love a situation where someone like Corey Davis could end up being our #1 WR with decent speed and great YAC (none of our receivers have that imo)  and KB develop into a lethal #2 possession reciever. I've seen in multilple places he's been compared to Terell Owens he's the same size and moves similarly.  Not Ginn speed but fast enough to outrun DBs, can make great catches, but is still great YAC and fights through tackles. A lot of you are dismissing the idea we get a WR at 8  , but I wouldn't mind it honestly. Davis and Ross could drastically change our offense as much as Fournette could (assuming all of them have healthy rookie seasons) .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Shula was the one asking for another TE last off season, knowing that we had to evolve as an offense. 

It's absolutely insane the criticism he gets for last season.  His hands were tied.

People keep saying this as if its facts. Can you find Shula saying this out his own mouth?

Last I checked in this offense, our 2nd TE blocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, beastson said:

People keep saying this as if its facts. Can you find Shula saying this out his own mouth?

Last I checked in this offense, our 2nd TE blocks

Ya know what, ultimately I really don't give a damn if you believe the truth, or not.  

I'm not going to go digging to go find something I learned almost a year ago. 

If you want to discredit it so much, then you go digging. 

Today's society as a whole, sucks.  You and your mistrustful ways, is another great example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Only one crying is you

Actually the OP took paragraphs to take the same tired shots at Shula and the playcalling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As has been reported many times, the coaching staff has always had full input on the draft.

Gettleman prefers a collaborative approach where everyone has input. He then makes the final decision after listening to what they all have to say.

I agree , i was just emphasizing that he will take in the coaches input into consideration  a lot more especially RiverBoatRon

I believe coaches wanted Hunter Henry but DG went with Big Vern overthinking himself worrying about KK's extension  and the Cap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

If I were them I'd get Fournette at 8 , Westbrook or Zay Jones at 40, and Legett or Butt with our late 2nd. Use the rest of the draft for defense if you want.  Can't keep drafting high round talent on the defensive side of the field and expect your offense to be  consistently great.

Hell even if they're still determined to use most of the draft on defense? Okay fine. Go get Fournette  , Corey Davis , or OJ Howard with pick 8 and use rest of the draft for defense if  you're so determined. That'll still be a nice upgrade for our offense.

IMO its much more common to be able to find a difference-maker at RB in the 2nd, 3rd, or hell even the 4th round than it is to find a difference-maker at TE.

Again IMO I think Howard has more value at his position than Fournette does his.

Which is why I'm all for taking the TE Howard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

IMO its much more common to be able to find a difference-maker at RB in the 2nd, 3rd, or hell even the 4th round than it is to find a difference-maker at TE.

Again IMO I think Howard has more value at his position than Fournette does his.

Which is why I'm all for taking the TE Howard.

I think you could have a point. Recent history shows you can find capable if not great backs) in any round of the drafts. Special TE's are a little harder to come by. I think Fournette is going to be really good, possibly great. Which is why I don't think he makes it to the 8th pick. But if he did, that would cause quite a bit of drama for Panther fans on draft night...Fournette or Howard. Right now, I don't think we could go wrong on either pick. Both would/could be a tremendous upgrade for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snake said:

Last year was less about Shula and more about not addressing problems. People love his as a scape goat but the truth is he needs talent just like the defense. 

The funny thing is we didn't have the defensive personnel to run our scheme and despite McDermott's best efforts we finished at the bottom.  No one complained or crucified him. When Shula's offense struggled and finished middle of the pack after being number 1 in 2015 he get crucified despite not having the personnel to run his scheme and multiple injuries.  This is particularly funny when everyone admits Cam struggles because he  doesn't have enough weapons around him yet somehow this same problem is never a justification for why Shula struggles. And everything that the offense does is despite Shula not because of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      18,884
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Icy89
    Joined
  • Topics

×