Kevin Greene

Roadblocks, weapons bans as Boston braces for ‘Free Speech’ rally

BOSTON — Boston officials are planning road blockades and even banning food vendors from the historic Boston Common as they step up security around a “Free Speech” rally on Saturday featuring right-wing speakers, aiming to avoid a repeat of last weekend’s violence at a white supremacist rally in Virginia.

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh urged people to stay away from the Boston Common during the rally, the Boston Herald reported.

Some 500 police officers will be on the streets around the popular tourist destination. They are planning to close some roadways to vehicles, mindful of the car attacks that killed a woman in Charlottesville and 13 in an attack in Barcelona on Thursday.

“We all know the tragedy that happened in Barcelona. That only makes us more vigilant,” said Boston Police Commissioner William Evans, who was the department’s second-in-command during the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Saturday’s rally has drawn intense concern from city and state officials following the violence in Charlottesville, when white supremacists at a “Unite the Right” rally fought in the streets with anti-racism protesters. A woman was killed at that event when a man said to have neo-Nazi sympathies crashed his car into a crowd of counter-protesters, injuring another 19 people.

So, as part of the permit process to organize a rally wouldn't it be reasonable to charge a permit fee in stead with the expected cost for security before any such permit is granted?

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/18/news/nation/roadblocks-weapons-bans-as-boston-braces-for-free-speech-rally/

Edited by Kevin Greene

I posted this in another topic but I'll try to get some vid if I have time tomorrow . I've been walking through the Commons just about every day. I hope to get free so I can entertain you guys with something. I'm just now finding out what's going on. 

IMG_4238.JPG

• Pie 5

34 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh urged people to stay away from the Boston Common during the rally, the Boston Herald reported.

This is society. Don't go to a rally to figure out how to fix what's wrong, stay away because you might want to fix things.

I know, people (assholes) will show up with masks and bats to "discuss" things.....

Gotta push your agenda. Even if you don't know where you stand.

Edited by cookinbrak

I will say from my professional opinion, I highly doubt this gets "out of control". 

The leadership here have known about this for a while and are well prepared. From the preparations I've seen, it's going to go according to plan. 

Most protests that are wide spread scheduled, aren't the ones that get out of hand. Much like the nights out with your buddies drinking and having fun. The planned and well organized events are more structured.  

The nights that start out with "Hey you want to go check out this place ? Ive heard it's pretty wild. Oh, look what I found... a bottle of Tittos in my pocket...let's take a pull" are the ones... from my personal experience, that end up with you naked and a couple of raw spots on your lower half. 

Your own experience dictates if you're sore, front or back but you get the idea. 

2 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

I will say from my professional opinion, I highly doubt this gets "out of control". 

Perhaps, but shouldn't this kind of thing be permitted on an abandoned airport runway somewhere as opposed to the Historic Boston Common?

7 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

This is society. Don't go to a rally to figure out how to fix what's wrong, stay away because you might want to fix things.

I know, people (assholes) will show up with masks and bats to "discuss" things.....

Gotta push your agenda. Even if you don't know where you stand.

I'm trying to figure out what you're saying

• Pie 1

come on guys they just want the free speech to genocide every minority and make a white ethno-state. why do you hate the free speeches

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Kevin Greene said:

Perhaps, but shouldn't this kind of thing be permitted on an abandoned airport runway somewhere as opposed to the Historic Boston Common?

I think it would be unconstitutional to tell a group they can't assemble in a public place. Plus it would ruin the whole point of something like this which is to send a message to somebody. 

As for paying for security I think that would be a constitutional issue as well. How hard would it be for a government official to say "well these black folk look especially dangerous, let's make it $500 a head for security."

2 hours ago, Panthro said:

I'm trying to figure out what you're saying

Stay away. We don't want civil discussions, we want "protests" that will be film-worthy.

16 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Stay away. We don't want civil discussions, we want "protests" that will be film-worthy.

if only our soldiers had attempted a civil discussion during wwii.