Jump to content
CRA

Trump Afghanistan plan

Recommended Posts

CRA    12,267

Haven't heard the Trumpers chime in on if they agree with his flip flop. 

To me, him unveiling his grand new plan just seemed like a desperate attempt to get something else on the news cycle and not much else. 

Trump's new plan summarized. Basically a lot like the old plan but the secret is Trump won't talk about the specifics anymore. 

Trump is always extremely vague in all his plans....because he rarely has them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cookinwithgas    7,538

speaking of vague and unconvincing, I'm looking forward to heels approval of all this winning. I mean, along with Mexico paying for the wall, that disaster Obamacare repealed, and now that we have gotten out of terrible Afghanistan, things are going great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CRA    12,267
54 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

speaking of vague and unconvincing, I'm looking forward to heels approval of all this winning. I mean, along with Mexico paying for the wall, that disaster Obamacare repealed, and now that we have gotten out of terrible Afghanistan, things are going great!

regulations!  Trump is totally ripping them up....because very bad things never happen when you allow big business to do whatever they want. 

Trump could be jailed for treason on vid with Putin himself and set our country back decades....and heel would be like...Gorsuch! totally worth it to get Gorsuch and have liberals cry.  Of course he overlooks the fact tons of actual real conservatives could of appointed Gorsuch without the mess Trump will ultimately put the country through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy Panther    3,997

https://thejacknews.com/commentary/gary-johnson-trumps-nationalism-need/

GJ's take.

 

Quote

 

Nearly 17 years later, we are still there

I’ve said for a long time that sending our military into Afghanistan after 9/11 to find and destroy the Al-Qaeda masterminds of the murderous attacks on America was appropriate. We were attacked, and responded.

But within months, we had uprooted Al-Qaeda and their Taliban hosts. Yet, nearly 17 years later, we are still there. Like the Soviet Union before us, albeit for very different reasons, we attempted to occupy and transform a country that has defied transformation for hundreds of years.

More than 2,000 American military and intelligence personnel have died in Afghanistan since 2001. It’s now the longest war in U.S. history. That’s a heavy and tragic price to pay for a failed attempt at nation-building.

That’s why, like many Americans, I hoped President Trump meant it during the campaign when he suggested we should bring our troops home from Afghanistan.

Sending more troops into the Afghanistan morass

Monday night, he disappointed us. Not only are we not bringing our troops home, but we are sending more into the Afghanistan morass. It appears the President has been dragged through the looking glass into buying the argument that, if we “abandon” Afghanistan, it will once again become a sanctuary for Al-Qaeda, ISIS and other violent extremists who would do us harm.

That argument is tempting if we are only looking at Afghanistan. But we’re not.

Where do we draw a line? Al-Qaeda has individual cells in an estimated 100 nations, including right here in America. Al-Qaeda operates in Yemen, Sudan, Indonesia, Libya, the Philippines, Syria, and several more. Are we to occupy and transform all of them?

Of course not. It’s not possible, and even if it were, we can’t afford it.

Three Presidents have now presided over the War in Afghanistan, and tragically, it is difficult to claim that we – or the Afghan people – are today safer as result. Seventeen years, hundreds of billions of dollars, and most important, thousands of American casualties would suggest that thrusting even more time, money and lives into the chaos that is Afghanistan cannot be expected to achieve a different outcome.

Unfortunately, it appears Donald Trump’s famed “nationalism” has abandoned him in the one policy area where it makes sense

 

.

 

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRA    12,267

Trump has 1 plan.  Play to people's emotions to survive.  He has no policy on really  anything.  Everything is a vague ideas.  Always has been.  Continues to be so.  Healthcare, Obama regulations, trade, war.  Everything is broad and vague on purpose. 

He needed to get infront of a camera and distract the population so he got up and made it Afghanistan week.   Same old, same old.  

Not talking about your troop increase isn't a new plan.  

Randomly claiming but now we will win isn't a new plan.  

Mentioning pressuring India and Pakistan isn't part of a new plan...it is just you naming potential thoughts out loud that have a host of issues related to them he wouldn't touch.   

A conditioned based plan vs a time table plan....is a tweak.  But it is a vague nothing when Trump shares no indication about what types of conditions he would be looking to acheive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Davidson Deac II    4,342

During his speech last night, Trump said perhaps the smartest thing that he has said since he took the oath of office.  He said that he was going to go against his instincts.  I recommend that he do this in virtually everything he does.  Things might actually work out better.  For example, when his instincts tell him to post some idiotic comment on twitter, don't do it.  Somewhat akin to George Costanza's opposite resolution.  

 

Fwiw, I think that John Mccain was right.  To win in Afghanistan, we might have to stay there 50 plus years, as we did in the Philippines at the turn of the last century.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRA    12,267
11 minutes ago, Gazi said:

IMG_20170820_235410.jpg

hold more campaign rallies than any President in US history 7 months and bullshit the blind more  - CHECK 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRA    12,267
2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

During his speech last night, Trump said perhaps the smartest thing that he has said since he took the oath of office.  He said that he was going to go against his instincts.  I recommend that he do this in virtually everything he does.  Things might actually work out better.  For example, when his instincts tell him to post some idiotic comment on twitter, don't do it.  Somewhat akin to George Costanza's opposite resolution.  

 

Fwiw, I think that John Mccain was right.  To win in Afghanistan, we might have to stay there 50 plus years, as we did in the Philippines at the turn of the last century.  

 

 

Trump has a campaign rally tonight.  That means crazy drunk talking Trump....not teleprompter man. 

There is no win in Afghanistan.   That is a hard pill to swallow but people have been forced to swallow that before. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davidson Deac II    4,342
3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Trump has a campaign rally tonight.  That means crazy drunk talking Trump....not teleprompter man. 

There is no win in Afghanistan.   That is a hard pill to swallow but people have been forced to swallow that before. 

We can certainly win, or at least get to the point that we have a peaceful exit and leave the country relatively stable.   Winning a war such as that is about the will to stay/continue.   You have to be willing to outlast your opponent.  I don't think we have that will, but we will see.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRA    12,267
38 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We can certainly win, or at least get to the point that we have a peaceful exit and leave the country relatively stable.   Winning a war such as that is about the will to stay/continue.   You have to be willing to outlast your opponent.  I don't think we have that will, but we will see.  

what is a win? 

A democracy? Get them to have a nationalist  mindset and not tribal one?  when has it been stable? 

We can't outlast them.  They are Afghanistan.  If we aren't pushing a democracy (not saying we should) then I fail too see what our end goal is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      18,650
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    HoudinisHat
    Joined
  • Topics

×