Sign in to follow this  
teeray

Interesting conversation, leads to interesting question

This is an interesting conversation between Jerry Seinfeld and Stephen Colbert where they talk about Bill Cosby's body of work.

Both of them grew up admiring his work and thought it was the best body of work of all-time.  Jerry says he can still listen or watch Bill Cosby's whereas Colbert who credited Cosby with "saving his life" says he can't anymore.

So my question to you is, can you separate a performance from a performer and still watch someone who did something terrible and still admire performance?  Or does that thing make it so you can never watch them again?

I'm a bit torn.  I can still watch Mel Gibson movies and he is still one of my favorite on screen actors and directors in film history.  I can still watch old wrestling shows and watch Hulk Hogan despite his recent troubles.  I still watch Naked Gun every once in a while despite OJ Simpson, etc.

And I feel like I could watch Bill Cosby's comedy and still enjoy the comedy despite his actions while still despising what Bill Cosby's did.  However, I haven't tried since all this went down.

So that is my question to you.  Can you separate performance from performer and watch stuff of people you may not actually like as a person or human being? Or is it too much that u can't separate the two and therefore can never watch their stuff again?

Edited by teeray

if you're a rapist or a murderer? I can no longer enjoy it. if you're just a regular shithead like James Woods? Yes. He's a legend.

What about sports? totally different 

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Gazi said:

if you're a rapist or a murderer? I can no longer enjoy it. if you're just a regular shithead like James Woods? Yes. He's a legend.

What about sports? totally different 

What about Me Gibson who is a shithead and probably anti-Semitic, but has never raped or killed anyone?

PS- not trying to call out any hypocrisy or anything.  Sincere question

5 minutes ago, teeray said:

What about Me Gibson who is a shithead and probably anti-Semitic, but has never raped or killed anyone?

PS- not trying to call out any hypocrisy or anything.  Sincere question

Yeah. I guess I Get lost in the character and don't really see Mel Gibson

• Pie 1

I still listen to idiot lib musicians songs...I can still watch highlights of OJ in the 70's...

• Pie 1

On 10/2/2017 at 1:59 PM, Anybodyhome said:

Anybody who says they can see beyond it and says they agree with the Greg hardy "firing" is full of sh!t.

I said the sports are different 

Edited by Gazi

I will say this, I don't think the whole Cosby accusations add up and it's not as simple as people make it out to be. I think he's a total scumbag piece of sh*t but I'm not so sure it's likely he's raped anyone. 

That aside, because it's irrelevant to the following point, I can absolutely separate the work from the person, easily. To not be able to do that is ridiculous and everyone who claims that they do that are ultimately hypocrites. Everything in the world that has been developed by man has had some terrible terrible people involved in the work. That's just reality and people try to ignore it in most cases but then hyprocritically make a huge deal about it when it's an actor in a tv show. To take the show off the air because of that was completely absurd and did zero good with a lot of harm.