Jump to content
bigjohn

Spectrum Cable can eat a bag of...

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I do everything online--paperless billing. Got used to not checking it monthly because I was getting texts each month. Yes, fell out of the habit of checking the bill which ultimately cost me big time. But my biggest issue was how conveniently the automated texts stopped when my bill increased.

Depending on which bank you deal with, you can also get emails with your daily transactions listed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


40 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Yeah for decent internet they are the only game in town. And it's easier to deal with one company (usually) for phone, internet and tv.

I really need to look into cutting the cord though.  Just haven't checked into enough to find out if I could get all the TV that me and the wife like that way.  I don't watch but a few channels and pretty much same with her.  

Anyone got a resource where I can check to see what's available through Roku etc.?

I was gonna go with Sling, get a ton of channels and a dvr for 50 bucks (no local), but jailbroken Firesticks are showing up at work. But they seem to be having problems, as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dumped Spectrum a couple years ago. We were experiencing pixelation and it turns out that their line had gone bad. They refused to fix it because it cost too much money so they told us we could either deal with it or go to another service. Never looked back and would never go back. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

I was gonna go with Sling, get a ton of channels and a dvr for 50 bucks (no local), but jailbroken Firesticks are showing up at work. But they seem to be having problems, as well.

 

PlayStation vue >>>>> sling tv so many more channels. Pretty much the same live streaming stuff you get on cable or satellite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Yeah for decent internet they are the only game in town. And it's easier to deal with one company (usually) for phone, internet and tv.

I really need to look into cutting the cord though.  Just haven't checked into enough to find out if I could get all the TV that me and the wife like that way.  I don't watch but a few channels and pretty much same with her.  

Anyone got a resource where I can check to see what's available through Roku etc.?

Pretty much anything you could want. 

https://www.roku.com/whats-on

There's a few "channels" that you need to have  regular provider to sign in to get, like Fox sports go or nfl network or the cw, but if you subscribe to something like PlayStation vue, you can log in through that. I think you can do lite versions of some major providers that you can access through roku without having  to rent equipment. 

You can get Showtime and stuff like that too if you want and only have to pay an extra $9 or something a month.

You create one account that all the roku units use, but each tv can show whatever you want with no problem.

I've got a roku streaming stick on each of my tv's that uses the wireless network in your house to connect to each stick. My wife and I use our phones to control them, we just have to pick which room we are in.

The only real advantage to using the streaming stick over any other roku is you don't have to point at the tv. Unless you've got some kind of specialized tv, you can get  cheapest roku units and never have any problems at all. They all access the same stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few bills (this being the one of them) that I would NEVER make autopay.  BTW:  You need to cut the cord and dump cable\phone and just go straight internet if possible.  We did it way back and I LOVE not having cable.  Have not missed it one bit.

For locals:  Get SlingTV (BLUE gets you Fox 46 in my area yep - Panthers games).  For football season:  If you need it:  get CBSAllAccess.  This CBSAllAccess app is usually 5.99 a mth but they give you a few weeks free.  Try to turn if off and they give you another month free.  The only channel I have had trouble getting in my area is NBC.  Whatever with all the savings I don't care to be honest.

And the best part is there are NO contracts whatsoever.  Turn off\on at any time.

Also, for a streaming device there are many but honestly get a Fire TV.  There are some killer open source apps on there that aren't available on Roku.

 

Edited by Shocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




11 hours ago, rayzor said:

PlayStation vue >>>>> sling tv so many more channels. Pretty much the same live streaming stuff you get on cable or satellite.

I've considered PS Vue myself.  I will say I tried DirectTV Now and didn't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I've considered PS Vue myself.  I will say I tried DirectTV Now and didn't like it.

i haven't done the directtv now thing. they keep on sending me offers for it, but i really just haven't wanted to deal with them or dish again.

i had sling and playstation vue at the same time and while sling is cheaper, playstation vue just flat offers more choices and packages (its almost indistinguishable from the packages you'd see from dish or direct except it doesn't have all the useless fluff that nobody watches). it takes a little bit more to learn to navigate than sling, but my dad that just turned 73 doesn't have much problem at all finding what he wants. it's even got a cloud DVR for streaming shows you want to record. it's got some limitations, but overall it's still a good option.

here's a link to the package options:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/?smcid=see-channels:plans:pdc:network:vue:home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rayzor said:

i haven't done the directtv now thing. they keep on sending me offers for it, but i really just haven't wanted to deal with them or dish again.

i had sling and playstation vue at the same time and while sling is cheaper, playstation vue just flat offers more choices and packages (its almost indistinguishable from the packages you'd see from dish or direct except it doesn't have all the useless fluff that nobody watches). it takes a little bit more to learn to navigate than sling, but my dad that just turned 73 doesn't have much problem at all finding what he wants. it's even got a cloud DVR for streaming shows you want to record. it's got some limitations, but overall it's still a good option.

here's a link to the package options:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/?smcid=see-channels:plans:pdc:network:vue:home

Thanks man!  Based on your post I actually just signed up for the trail...looks nice so far.  I like that CBS is available.  Might miss History or A&E a little bit but this is a quality offering from what I've seen so far today.  I'm testing it on Fire TV...so need to try Roku and on the other devices.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Thanks man!  Based on your post I actually just signed up for the trail...looks nice so far.  I like that CBS is available.  Might miss History or A&E a little bit but this is a quality offering from what I've seen so far today.  I'm testing it on Fire TV...so need to try Roku and on the devices.

cool! hope you like it.

yeah, i get a local CBS, but i don't get a local fox so i thought i was screwed out of watching panthers play, but then i got fox sports go channel on roku and logged in using my playstation vue account and i've got no issues. like i said elsewhere, i don't have the ability to record like i did with the dvr, but i wouldn't be able to do that live or in a bar and they show enough replays that it's not an issue.

a day or two later you can find replays on either youtube or nfl network. it might be the condensed versions, but that's all i need to see anyway and i can hit stop and rewind on those.

i basically can do the same things i did before, i just have to do it differently.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rayzor said:

cool! hope you like it.

yeah, i get a local CBS, but i don't get a local fox so i thought i was screwed out of watching panthers play, but then i got fox sports go channel on roku and logged in using my playstation vue account and i've got no issues. like i said elsewhere, i don't have the ability to record like i did with the dvr, but i wouldn't be able to do that live or in a bar and they show enough replays that it's not an issue.

a day or two later you can find replays on either youtube or nfl network. it might be the condensed versions, but that's all i need to see anyway and i can hit stop and rewind on those.

i basically can do the same things i did before, i just have to do it differently.

Haha, believe it or not I have already cancelled SlingTV and loaded Vue on all devices today.  Works really well, the picture is flawless.  The lack of guide on the Roku wasn't great but I'll get used to it.  SlingTV was very slow and buffering from time to time and I'm not seeing that on Vue.  Like Rayzor, I'd recommend this service over the others I've tried.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      18,963
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Irene Athena
    Joined
  • Topics

×