Jump to content
rayzor

Lions wary of Cam Newton's running: 'I don’t think he can beat us throwing the ball'

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

As much as anything, I think Cam just settles into the game better when he's doing some running. That's just who he is. It's part of his game. 

Nothing wrong with that except stereotyping ol' buzzards who like statues for Qbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Panthers wanted to win shootouts and go toe to toe with the best offenses in the league...the Panthers should have built an offense for that. Instead, the Panthers built an offense that is supposed to compliment the defense...so did Seattle...and to a lesser extent Denver. So these weekly threads about what Cam/the offense will or will not do while we basically ignore if our defense is going to stop the opposing offense is kinda pointless. 

As I said before the Saints game...Panther's nation really needs to stop focusing on what the offense is going to do or not do. That is not how this Panthers team was built. The front office, Ron, JR, hell even Shula knows that defense...defense is what determines how successful 2017 will be. And it has been that way since 2013.

The fact of the matter is that the Panthers did not build a team around Newton...they really built it around Luke...So, each and every week it is up to our defense to stop the opposing offense/QB from dominating the game.

 

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, mcdougal said:

If the Panthers wanted to win shootouts and go toe to toe with the best offenses in the league...the Panthers should have built an offense for that. Instead, the Panthers built an offense that is supposed to compliment the defense...so did Seattle...and to a lesser extent Denver. So these weekly threads about what Cam/the offense will or will not do while we basically ignore if our defense is going to stop the opposing offense is kinda pointless. 

As I said before the Saints game...Panther's nation really needs to stop focusing on what the offense is going to do or not do. That is not how this Panthers team was built. The front office, Ron, JR, hell even Shula knows that defense...defense is what determines how successful 2017 will be. And it has been that way since 2013.

The fact of the matter is that the Panthers did not build a team around Newton...they really built it around Luke...So, each and every week it is up to our defense to stop the opposing offense/QB from dominating the game.

 

One 1st round WR. 

Two 2nd round WRs. 

A top 10 pick at RB. 

Another former 1st round pick at RB. 

A former 1st round pick at TE. 

A $55M LT. 

A 2nd round pick at OT. 

A 2nd round pick at C. 

One of the highest paid OGs in the NFL at RG. 

I think we focused a lot on defense early in Cam's career and you can certainly question some of the decisions we've made regarding offensive personnel but it hasn't exactly been due to lack of effort and lack of willingness to invest resources on that side of the ball. 

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, usmcpanthers said:

Yes dare Cam to throw, last game 75% comp 300 + yds 3tds, 1 rushing.

Patriots pass D: 324 ypg, 69.7% completion, 9.4 ypc, 11 TD, 3 INT, 116.5 passer rating

Lions pass D: 236 pass ypg, 61.4% completion, 7.0 ypc, 4 TD, 7 INT, 71.6 passer rating

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, melvin2345 said:

Patriots pass D: 324 ypg, 69.7% completion, 9.4 ypc, 11 TD, 3 INT, 116.5 passer rating

Lions pass D: 236 pass ypg, 61.4% completion, 7.0 ypc, 4 TD, 7 INT, 71.6 passer rating

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Still my point is that Cam can throw much better than people give him credit for. If he has time and protection he delivers.  Everyone acts like he is the worst throwing qb ever. Pats are playing bad but you know by the end of the year they will be deep in the playoffs. Also Cam is healthy, that makes a huge difference. Im not downing detroit what so ever. Cam can carve up any defense. Just gotta see if this week distractions bother his play or not sunday.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week, Cam's biggest foe is Cam. If he can keep his head clear from the needless distraction (he brought on himself) and the ensuing poo storm from the media, then it's game on. 

Well, Shula. But still. 

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




49 minutes ago, jayflip said:

This week, Cam's biggest foe is Cam. If he can keep his head clear from the needless distraction (he brought on himself) and the ensuing poo storm from the media, then it's game on. 

Well, Shula. But still. 

This.

I really think he is gonna play like poo now that this thing has blown up.  Praying that I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Poo went down before the last Lions game and we still won, so not going to put too much stalk on his "mental fortitude."

As far as Cam running. If they really think that's all he's got, lol please for goodness sakes let him throw all over you. He played well against the Patriots because of his throwing and having time (for the first time) in his pocket.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saca312 said:

Yeah. Poo went down before the last Lions game and we still won, so not going to put too much stalk on his "mental fortitude."

As far as Cam running. If they really think that's all he's got, lol please for goodness sakes let him throw all over you. He played well against the Patriots because of his throwing and having time (for the first time) in his pocket.

i'm thinking the goal isn't to just take cam out of the run game, but shut down the run game all together. make cam and the offense one dimensional and against legit defenses i think we might struggle there.

i'm just curious to see how we do against a respectable defense this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot Cam would destroy Detroit. Cold Cam is bad against any team. We have no idea what we're going to get from week to week. That's part of the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×