Jump to content
Toolbox

Video games are dead *rant*

Recommended Posts



2 minutes ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

So does the progression system in SWBF2 break the game? 

currently takes about 100 hours to max out a regular trooper class (and there are 4 of them, as well as second tier troops and vehicles that also have unlocks you need to get) and 40 hours just to unlock certain heroes to be able to play them (then grind even more to unlock their upgrades)

or you can spend a $100 or $200 on loot crates and skip all that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

currently takes about 100 hours to max out a regular trooper class (and there are 4 of them, as well as second tier troops and vehicles that also have unlocks you need to get) and 40 hours just to unlock certain heroes to be able to play them (then grind even more to unlock their upgrades)

or you can spend a $100 or $200 on loot crates and skip all that

That sucks as this was one of the few games the wife and I would play online (taking turns on heroes vs villains). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've already said they're reducing the cost to unlock heroes for launch but that's not where the biggest issue is anyway. Also, I think the Heroes vs Villians mode will have everyone unlocked (though not 100% sure on that). 

The real problem and real grind is getting the card upgrades. Progression in that regard seems to be extremely slow. Of course this is intentional to temp players to spend real money on loot crates.

That, IMO, is the real problem with micro-transactions. I honestly don't care if someone spends a couple hundred bucks to get everything unlocked and has an advantage over me. Reason I don't care is because those people are rare (probably less than 2%) so I won't run into them very often, and it won't affect the gameplay very much.

The real problem with microtransactions is that it gives developers a monetary incentive to make the game worse. Introduce a huge grind to temp players to spend money. If the progression system was smooth and you unlocked things at a nice pace I wouldn't care about microtransactions being in the game. But if that was the case then players really wouldn't have much incentive to spend money, so devs naturally are pushed to making things more grindy and annoying on purpose. It just sucks from a players perspective but devs make huge amounts of money off MT so they aren't going away anytime soon.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




8 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

They've already said they're reducing the cost to unlock heroes for launch but that's not where the biggest issue is anyway. Also, I think the Heroes vs Villians mode will have everyone unlocked (though not 100% sure on that). 

The real problem and real grind is getting the card upgrades. Progression in that regard seems to be extremely slow. Of course this is intentional to temp players to spend real money on loot crates.

That, IMO, is the real problem with micro-transactions. I honestly don't care if someone spends a couple hundred bucks to get everything unlocked and has an advantage over me. Reason I don't care is because those people are rare (probably less than 2%) so I won't run into them very often, and it won't affect the gameplay very much.

The real problem with microtransactions is that it gives developers a monetary incentive to make the game worse. Introduce a huge grind to temp players to spend money. If the progression system was smooth and you unlocked things at a nice pace I wouldn't care about microtransactions being in the game. But if that was the case then players really wouldn't have much incentive to spend money, so devs naturally are pushed to making things more grindy and annoying on purpose. It just sucks from a players perspective but devs make huge amounts of money off MT so they aren't going away anytime soon.

Same thing with shadow of war.. near the end of the game it turns into a grind to try to get people to buy orcs to keep their forts up.. it's all shady poo man. MT should only be for cosmetics and XP boosts not a way for you to shortcut the game or have an advantage over other players.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This BF2 crap coupled with the Match Making patents that Activision and EA both have makes me feel terrible for the next generation of gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iamcline said:

This BF2 crap coupled with the Match Making patents that Activision and EA both have makes me feel terrible for the next generation of gamers.

Yup the entitlement mindset allows them to just ignore it until it blows up.. sad really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

Monster Hunter was really fun on the 3ds when i played it. Esp with a friend. 

 

So does the progression system in SWBF2 break the game? 

Lowering hero cost helps, but I think they will lower other stuff as well.   

I've read full reviews of people that have played 30-40 hours and it's still a very good game.    The actual gameplay is great and progression with infantry isn't too bad with mtx, apparently you can get a bigger boost with the aerial stuff if you pay for mtx, at least early on.     Single player I heard is OK too for a nice little Star Wars campaign.     EA has changed a lot of stuff since the outcry so I hope they will continue to tweak things.    Don't let the mtx overshadow the fact that it's apparently a good game.     People are saying that if you liked BF1 you'll love this because it's way more deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a good breakdown of the time it takes to progress in the game (it's actually worse than I had thought)

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7c6bjm/it_takes_40_hours_to_unlock_a_hero_spreadsheet/

 

You can only get level 4 cards by upgrading level 3 cards, level 4 no longer drop from loot crates (this was EA's response to people complaining about pay-to-win). You need 460 crafting parts for that, which take, on average, 24.7 hours to grind. And the credits you receive from playing are based on the time of the match, not how well you did, so a good player will take just as long to grind these things as a bad one.

There's probably about 20 cards or so for each class, but just to max out your favorite 3 for your loadout you're looking at 74.1 hours.

So let's say you play the game for awhile, decide you like playing 2 certain classes the most, along with one 2nd tier, one vehicle and one hero you will also be playing as. You're looking at 370.5 hours to max 3 cards for who you're going to be playing, and this is after picking a very limited number of both characters to play and cards to use. If you were to try to max everything in the game you're talking 10,000+ hours.

And these are just the cards released at launch. I'm sure every new DLC will release more (and they'll probably be upgrades over the current ones) that you'll have to grind even more for.

Also, it takes you 2 and a half hours (again, on average) just to get a single trooper loot crate. And more often than not crates will drop useless junk that you don't want. If you're a casual player than only plays a couple hours here and there then you're going to be running around with crappy low-level equipment pretty much the entire time you own/play the game.

 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×