• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4Corners

Give me your deep fried turkey recipe

Seen a few recipes and ideas online from cooking websites. Hosting thanksgiving this year and was gonna deep fry a turkey for the first time - Cajun style is what has caught my eye 

Brine the turkey first. This is imperative. Then rub/inject/fuse whatever you want, but brining makes a better bird.

Use a Gatorade cooler or (what I use) one of those big plastic buckets that cat litter comes in. Or go to Lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket and lid.

Pour in one gallon of boiling water, or whatever the biggest pot you have is. Add 0ne cup of salt and one cup of brown sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add ice water, stir, then dunk bird.

Let sit overnight, adding ice as needed to keep salmonella at bay. Remove and dry thoroughly.

5 hours ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Any alternatives to brown sugar?

You can use regular.  Makes little difference.

Can also add all kinds of "extra" to the brine.  Bay leaves, clove, rosemary, Old Bay, oranges, white wine, onions, celery...I throw all kinds of refuse in my brines.

11 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Seen a few recipes and ideas online from cooking websites. Hosting thanksgiving this year and was gonna deep fry a turkey for the first time - Cajun style is what has caught my eye 

Honestly, easier to smoke vs. fry, but frying is much faster.

@cookinbrak is correct, you must brine...IMO.

Make sure the turkey is completely dry before you drop it in the oil.  Get the oil a little warmer than 350, it will drop a ton when you drop the bird.  If possible let bird get closer to room temp...I wouldn't drop a really cold turkey if I don't have to.  When you drop it in, get someone to help you, and suspend the hook with a shovel handle or something like that.  Stand back from the oil, and drop it slower than you think you should.

3-3.5 minutes per pound....I go closer to 3, and use a meat thermo to check temp...drop back in if needed, but usually don't need to.  Let rest for a while before slicing.

1 minute ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I was going to come get a turkey, lol. 

Oh LOL!

I use to do them for all my clients but it just became me trying to stay way for 2 days working over the holiday and missing family time, now I only do them for a few of my best clients.

I do smoked hams on xmas too.

3 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

I do smoked hams on xmas too.

Tell me more...

I have smoked a few turkeys in my day but I have never done a ham before. Someone asked me this year if I was going to try a ham and it got me to thinking about it. I presume were not using one of those pre-sliced made to cook hams, I mean those are delicious but for smoking? Seems like those would take on way too much smoke. What kind of wood are you using on a ham?

I also agree with the others here. Brine that bird.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Midtown_Doornail

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts