Jangler

Is Football Dying? (nothing to do with ratings or over saturation)

I think it will change dramatically. As it should. Just look at Luke and everyone’s concern over him. A seemingly upstanding dude. His concusssions have been troubling to watch. If he wasn’t one of the best in the game he probably would have called it quits by now.

In addition to rule changes there also needs to be a bigger focus on the natural athlete and getting players back to normal weight ranges. The bigger stronger faster mentality has pushed the body to its limits and the amount of force is generates. That effects brain trauma as well. 

Going back to leather helmets seems like a good theory but my bet is that it would just result in other serious injuries. Sure, if you or I made a backyard team with leather helmets. We’d be smart enough to ease up. We also aren’t generally strong enough to put each other in the hospital. But I guarantee Navarro Bowman would still be crushing dudes.

32 minutes ago, Jangler said:

come down off your ivory throne and look around. Players past and present are playing for one reason. to take care of mother and no other reason. 

Players in other poorer countries play soccer or do something else.  There are other ways to take care of mother.

Yes. It may always exist in some form, but the number of kids playing is already dropping substantially. However, there will still be kids in poor communities who see footballl as their way out, and are willing to sacrifice their health for a chance. When the chance for fame and fortune begins to dwindle, the sport will be gone.

I love football, and I loved playing football, but I will never let my son play full contact football. The risk is not worth the reward. I teach elementary school, and the number of 10-11 year old boys I have taught who have already gotten concussions from youth football is concerning. 

• Pie 1

Yes, it is.    It's a combo of a lot of things.     It's the CTE stuff.     It's the fact that CTE is even worse in young people so parents are not letting their young kids play it now.    If I had a young child, I would probably not let them play.      It's also the over-saturation, it's on too many days, etc.    The biggest thing I think, at least right now, is the quality of the league is terrible.     The NFL has tried so hard to push games in certain directions (another discussion) that they've destroyed the game with terrible officiating.    They keep bringing back the SAME bad officials, so you know something is going on.     People are just tired of the bad product, simple as that.    Eventually the CTE thing will be the biggest reason because without people playing it at a young age, they won't move into it.

I believe in 10-15 years baseball will take over as the number one sport, it's on the up and they are doing proactive things at making the game better and higher quality.    It also feels less about "the money" than football which I think turns people off.

Also, e-sports are going to continue booming and will be taking up people's spectator time in the future.  

"E sports"... LOL!!!

Honestly, tackle football shouldn't exist until the varsity HS level. Everything JV and under should be flag football IMO

52 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Go back to leather helmets. 

Concussion problem solved immediately. 

The leather helmet idea is a good one that can be improved upon with modern technology. I could picture a soft helmet made of a spongy polymer that greatly increases the cushioning of the brain. You could even incorporate an accelerometer into the helmet that warns when a player has been exposed to forces above some level defined as safe. 

Just realized how nerdy that sounds...

3 minutes ago, Greatman77 said:

The leather helmet idea is a good one that can be improved upon with modern technology. I could picture a soft helmet made of a spongy polymer that greatly increases the cushioning of the brain. You could even incorporate an accelerometer into the helmet that warns when a player has been exposed to forces above some level defined as safe. 

Just realized how nerdy that sounds...

Pretty sure I saw something recently that something like what you're talking about is already in development.

Yep, here it is

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/16/news/companies/vicis-nfl-helmet-concussions-safety/index.html

Edited by LinvilleGorge

When my 7 year old son was born, I used to dream about him playing football one day.   Now, I am hoping he sticks to soccer or basketball.  I will probably let him play flag football but that's about it.  

12 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Yes, it is.    It's a combo of a lot of things.     It's the CTE stuff.     It's the fact that CTE is even worse in young people so parents are not letting their young kids play it now.    If I had a young child, I would probably not let them play.      It's also the over-saturation, it's on too many days, etc.    The biggest thing I think, at least right now, is the quality of the league is terrible.     The NFL has tried so hard to push games in certain directions (another discussion) that they've destroyed the game with terrible officiating.    They keep bringing back the SAME bad officials, so you know something is going on.     People are just tired of the bad product, simple as that.    Eventually the CTE thing will be the biggest reason because without people playing it at a young age, they won't move into it.

I believe in 10-15 years baseball will take over as the number one sport, it's on the up and they are doing proactive things at making the game better and higher quality.    It also feels less about "the money" than football which I think turns people off.

Also, e-sports are going to continue booming and will be taking up people's spectator time in the future.  

Can’t say baseball isn’t about the money too.  Baseball (which was my primary sport growing up) has too many games, lulls, and 4-5 hour marathons for the future.  Soccer is the future.  And I never thought I’d say that.

Edited by Nails
  • Pie 1

52 minutes ago, iBBB said:

You don't play pro football as a kid. I get what you're saying but being pressured at early age is not the same as being forced to play at pro level. I don't think yall understand what the word forced means. 

Either way, no need to question someone's intelligence when they see things differently than you do. "Forced" is a fairly elementary word that we all understand.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was playing devil's advocate more than anything.

Yeah, I can't do baseball. I don't think I've ever watched a full game in my entire life. 

Baseball and soccer are the two team sports that have zero appeal to me.

Edited by LinvilleGorge

Future generations will look back at our love for football like, we look back on roman gladiatorial games. they going to wonder how we could ever watch something so brutal and barbaric.

• Pie 3