Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MHS831

Daryl Williams, #60

Recommended Posts

I have been watching the OL a lot--I used to coach OL in high school back in the day.  Here is how I would grade the OL over the past 4 games:

RT Williams:  A- (quietly putting together a solid season)

RG Turner B- (Underperforming his contract, but playing a bit above average--we need smarter play from him--better angles, better movement, better anchoring)

C Larsen C- (Larsen is a reserve who has been playing above his pay grade.  I think he is getting better at calling the schemes, but he needs to be able to move folks off the ball.  We have had several opportunities to run a QB sneak to get less than a yard; Our QB is 6-5, 245.  Larsen is OK in pass protection and OK at pulling, but he is no Ryan Kalil.  I love him as a backup C/G.)

LG Norwell B+  (Norwell is a very smart player and is good in the open field.  There are times an exceptional athlete beats or stalemates him, but he needs a contract  extension. 

LT M. Kalil C- (Kalil has been OK in pass protection, poor in run blocking.  As the highest-paid lineman, we need more from him.  His contract can be dumped in a year, so look for a LT to groom (Moton?) because Matt and Ryan may be a nice novelty, but as Cam slows down and gets older, we need to get serious about protection.  Norwell makes him better.

Summary: The OL situation here is not any worse or better than most other teams,  However, this year is a good draft at C.  If Motown can play on the left side, there could be a camp competition for that job next season.  I am glad we are bringing Moton along slowly,, but I do not see a downgrade if we make the move next year.  While Williams is a huge surprise so far, Kalil is better than I thought he would be, but not as good as I hoped.  Larsen has done well and is improving, but I am not sure he is the long-term answer.

Just my perspective, but the point here is to salute DW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

sounds about right. Still loling at the guy saying larsen should start over a healthy kalil

I'm just hoping that kalil is able to get healthy again. He's been hurt more often than not for the last 2 seasons. 

But when he is healthy...look out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

While Williams is a huge surprise so far, Kalil is better than I thought he would be, but not as good as I hoped.

well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Would Moton make a good LG if we arent able to bring back Norwell?

I was wondering the same thing about D.Williams and letting Moton take over the RT position. I didn't even think about your scenario until I read your post, but it definitely seems plausible. It would be nice if Norwell could be retained, but I can't see them giving him a big contract after Trai just got an extension in the offseason and signing M. Kalil to play LT during FA.

I think we all agree on one thing, MHS831 was on point when he stated we need to get a Center in this years draft (provided that a good choice is available when we pick this year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I have been watching the OL a lot--I used to coach OL in high school back in the day.  Here is how I would grade the OL over the past 4 games:

RT Williams:  A- (quietly putting together a solid season)

RG Turner B- (Underperforming his contract, but playing a bit above average--we need smarter play from him--better angles, better movement, better anchoring)

C Larsen C- (Larsen is a reserve who has been playing above his pay grade.  I think he is getting better at calling the schemes, but he needs to be able to move folks off the ball.  We have had several opportunities to run a QB sneak to get less than a yard; Our QB is 6-5, 245.  Larsen is OK in pass protection and OK at pulling, but he is no Ryan Kalil.  I love him as a backup C/G.)

LG Norwell B+  (Norwell is a very smart player and is good in the open field.  There are times an exceptional athlete beats or stalemates him, but he needs a contract  extension. 

LT M. Kalil C- (Kalil has been OK in pass protection, poor in run blocking.  As the highest-paid lineman, we need more from him.  His contract can be dumped in a year, so look for a LT to groom (Moton?) because Matt and Ryan may be a nice novelty, but as Cam slows down and gets older, we need to get serious about protection.  Norwell makes him better.

Summary: The OL situation here is not any worse or better than most other teams,  However, this year is a good draft at C.  If Motown can play on the left side, there could be a camp competition for that job next season.  I am glad we are bringing Moton along slowly,, but I do not see a downgrade if we make the move next year.  While Williams is a huge surprise so far, Kalil is better than I thought he would be, but not as good as I hoped.  Larsen has done well and is improving, but I am not sure he is the long-term answer.

Just my perspective, but the point here is to salute DW.

Agree with everything except Kalil. He's been much improved recently. I'd give him a B or B-. He's been way better than Larsen in helping our offense. We need Ryan back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our running game has looked good in spurts this season, but overall it's been fairly ineffective. If you take away Cam's runs we're just a below average team running the ball this season.

If we bring back all 5 starters next year (or only 4 of them if Ryan retires or is released), do you think our running game will be any better in 2018? I think we need 2 new starters who can move people off the ball if we are going to run the ball the way Rivera wants to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

  I have been watching the OL a lot--I used to coach OL in high school back in the day.  

  However, this year is a good draft at C. 

This seems like a fair assessment based on what I have seen of the line. I wonder if they will even consider cutting MKalil considering his connection to his brother and the loyalty JR and RR have to senior players?

 Which centers do you like? The Panthers analyst on Draftek continually pencilled in a C in his selections last year and he's doing it again this year:

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round2.asp

Mason Cole
    Michigan
    OC
    Reach/Value:     -6
Height:
6'5"
Weight:
305


 
 

Protecting Cam Newton has to be a priority. When he is given time and is allowed to be himself, he is a special and rare talent. The Panthers' best Offensive Lineman, in Ryan Kalil, has barely played this year, and I'm wondering if he will ever be back. Releasing the veteran All-Pro Center after the end of the season would save the Panthers $7.5M, according to our friends at Overthecap.com. Mason Cole out of Michigan is the Panthers' type of Offensive Lineman. He is a Team Captain, he has played all five spots on the line,and does not miss time. Cole in the Second Round should not be confused with getting coal for Christmas. He would be a great gift in the Second Round and would show the team's' commitment to protecting Cam Newton. 
-[email protected],Panthers Analyst 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of OL @MHS831 what do you make of the tackle class? I'm seeing 7-8 different names projected to the 1st at this early stage-not that it meant much last year. The one that I find most interesting at this stage is a guy who comes from the same school as Moton- Chukwuma Okarafor. Seems like 1st might be high for him and with so many tackles available we could wait for him or take an alternative selection in the 2nd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thomas96 said:

Agree with everything except Kalil. He's been much improved recently. I'd give him a B or B-. He's been way better than Larsen in helping our offense. We need Ryan back.

 

    I concur whole heartedly. IMO, Matt started pretty slowly. But man, he has settled in nicely. At this point in time, I am happy with his play. Could we upgrade? Sure, but it won't be easy.

 

    Larsen has filled in nicely. However, he is still the weak link. If Ryan is gone, we need to look to solidify the C position. It is just too important.

 

    As we set, we have a good line. Adding really good C could make it even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

 

    At this point in time, I am happy with his play. Could we upgrade? Sure, but it won't be easy.

    Larsen has filled in nicely. However, he is still the weak link. If Ryan is gone, we need to look to solidify the C position. It is just too important.

 I disagree. Drafting a LT is easy-especially with quite a few projected in Rd 1 and 2 unlike last year. While there are no guarantees (naturally) of the replacements quality, he would only have to be average to be as good as MKalil which shouldn't be impossible. The problem is we haven't even got an out on his contract until the end of next season. But that could be used to our advantage if he acts as back-up and red-shirt's the season. The best center can usually be had in the 2nd round, and I agree that we should certainly target one,maybe even if RKalil continues based on his recent injury history. Getting younger, (or at least having a younger option,) should be something that one of the oldest teams in the league looks at. Add to that the cap saving of moving on from the Kalil's and no matter the pedigree of the player, (and especially considering their recent injuries,) its something that should be considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SeoulPanther said:

 I disagree. Drafting a LT is easy-especially with quite a few projected in Rd 1 and 2 unlike last year. While there are no guarantees (naturally) of the replacements quality, he would only have to be average to be as good as MKalil which shouldn't be impossible. The problem is we haven't even got an out on his contract until the end of next season. But that could be used to our advantage if he acts as back-up and red-shirt's the season. The best center can usually be had in the 2nd round, and I agree that we should certainly target one,maybe even if RKalil continues based on his recent injury history. Getting younger, (or at least having a younger option,) should be something that one of the oldest teams in the league looks at. Add to that the cap saving of moving on from the Kalil's and no matter the pedigree of the player, (and especially considering their recent injuries,) its something that should be considered.

It's really not. Especially the past 5-7 years. It's been a crapshoot across the league where there's numerous articles about the poor line play epidemic hitting the NFL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×