• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Backfilling DL and LB coaches (and maybe OL coach)

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And now this...

One, it means guys like Buckner (if he's one of them) will be free to look for jobs.

It also means Wilks may be looking to try and poach more of our staff.

Yeah, looks like we might be losing more assistants to the Cards. 

I wonder if Wilks will hire our ex-QB coach Ken Dorsey 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And now this...

One, it means guys like Buckner (if he's one of them) will be free to look for jobs.

No disrespect to Wilks but he can take Ron's old college buddy with him.  I won't say his name because it's like saying Beetlejuice one too many times.

I'm intrigued by the story about the interview with Seattle's assistant special teams coach.  Don't know anything about him.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No disrespect to Wilks but he can take Ron's old college buddy with him.  I won't say his name because it's like saying Beetlejuice one too many times.

I'm intrigued by the story about the interview with Seattle's assistant special teams coach.  Don't know anything about him.

Nickel coach Jeff Imamura was an assistant linebacker coach when Farwell played linebacker for the Vikes.

Might be how they heard of him.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Nickel coach Jeff Imamura was a linebacker coach when he played linebacker for the Vikes.

Might be how they heard of him.

You think he would be an upgrade?

Just now, Jon Snow said:

You think he would be an upgrade?

I don't know if it's quantifiable how much difference an assistant special teams coach makes.

The guy he's replacing just got the full time job.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know if it's quantifiable how much difference an assistant special teams coach makes.

The guy he's replacing just got the full time job.

I don't like the sound of that.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't like the sound of that.

I don't really have a problem with it.  Everyone always said Chase was a super smart, hard working player.  And he's been the assistant ST coach the last few years.

We'll see how he does.

Wilks has expressed interest in three possible offensive coordinator candidates. The only one with a Panthers connection is named Mike, but his last name isn't Shula. It's McCoy.

Likewise, if Wilks has any interest in Ken Dorsey, he hasn't shown it yet. Pat Shurmur was said to be interested in Dorsey but the Giants haven't hired any offensive coaches to this point.

So far, Dorsey is the only one of the two to get an interview. It was for the Falcons QB coach job, and he lost out to Greg Knapp. Word was they asked Shula to interview as well, but he stated he was only interested in an offensive coordinator job.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

And now this...

Connections: Secondary coach Kevin Ross worked two years under Norv early in his coaching career, but again, not a position we're looking to fill.  Assistant special teams coach (a position we apparently are planning to fill) Steve Heiden played for Norv in San Diego in 2001. Linebacker coach Bob Sanders spent a year with Norv in Miami, but as connections go John Pagano has a better shot at that job.

It would be interesting having Buck coach Peppers.  Wonder if there would be any awkwardness being old line mates and all.

Regardless, I don't think it will happen.  I have a feeling that Sam Mills III will get the promotion to full-time DL coach.  

While we're at it, I don't think Grimm will be the new OL coach either.  If I had to guess, I'd say they more than likely will move Matsko back to OL coach and look to bring in someone as the assistant OL coach.  

3 minutes ago, Woodie said:

It would be interesting having Buck coach Peppers.  Wonder if there would be any awkwardness being old line mates and all.

Regardless, I don't think it will happen.  I have a feeling that Sam Mills III will get the promotion to full-time DL coach.  

While we're at it, I don't think Grimm will be the new OL coach either.  If I had to guess, I'd say they more than likely will move Matsko back to OL coach and look to bring in someone as the assistant OL coach.  

I hope Mills gets promoted, he seems like a damn good coach. 

1 minute ago, Woodie said:

From what I understand, Brown officially had the OL Coach title but he was really still Matsko's assistant.  Personally, I hate the whole "give him a new title and a raise but keep him doing the same thing" crap but it happens a lot.  What the hell is a "run game coordinator" other than a line coach, anyway?  It's not like Mike Shula called the pass plays and John Matsko called the run plays.

If we're just hiring another assistant with a full coach title, then I could see Marc Colombo or Harold Goodwin as possibilities (Colombo would seem more likely).

As to Grimm, he certainly has a long running relationship with Turner.  That'd probably put us in a good spot if we didn't already have a "run game coordinator".

LaCanfora mentioned a couple of teams as possible contenders for Grimm, one of them being the Giants. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I understand, Brown officially had the OL Coach title but he was really still Matsko's assistant.  Personally, I hate the whole "give him a new title and a raise but keep him doing the same thing" crap but it happens a lot.  What the hell is a "run game coordinator" other than a line coach, anyway?  It's not like Mike Shula called the pass plays and John Matsko called the run plays.

If we're just hiring another assistant with a full coach title, then I could see Marc Colombo or Harold Goodwin as possibilities (Colombo would seem more likely).

As to Grimm, he certainly has a long running relationship with Turner.  That'd probably put us in a good spot if we didn't already have a "run game coordinator".

LaCanfora mentioned a couple of teams as possible contenders for Grimm, one of them being the Giants. 

Yeah, makes sense with Matsko.  Teams always seem to be coming up with some new title to keep guys happy. 

So, I guess it's possible they bring in a more experienced guy with the "OL Coach" title, but still being in a subservient role to Matsko.  However, I think Grimm is too experienced and too qualified to not give him full authority over the OL.  Of course, Matsko might actually want to slow down a bit and give up some responsibility as he begins preparing for retirement.  In that case, a guy like Grimm would be a dream hire.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    sarisatva

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts