Mr. Scot

Backfilling DL and LB coaches (and maybe OL coach)

Does anyone think that maybe the issues with the secondary was the coach?  After all Wilks had to turn that over.  Maybe Rivera and Washington will look for someone else to coach the DBs.  

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Does anyone think that maybe the issues with the secondary was the coach?  After all Wilks had to turn that over.  Maybe Rivera and Washington will look for someone else to coach the DBs.  

We went from having our secondary coached by Steve Wilks to having it coached by an inexperienced Curtis Fuller and Rivera's old college teammate who was reassigned after taking the special teams into the toilet.

So yes...

• Pie 1

Titans have confirmed they're letting all but maybe one assistant go, so Russ Grimm will be officially unemployed.

Dear Norv, please talk to Ron about this.

• Pie 2

Grimm would be an amazing hire and I'm also curious if Buck will stay in ARI after the Wilks hire?  If he doesn't get a nod for DC somewhere, would Buckner come back to Carolina in the same role for our DL Coach?

Wanted to follow up on which of our current coaches had a history with Norv...

Ray Brown had the most connection.  He played a couple of years under Norv in Washington.

Pete Hoener was on the 49ers coaching staff in 2006 when Turner was OC there.

Had a cople of near misses.  Jim Skipper joined the staff at Oregon a year the same year Turner left for USC. Likewise, nickel coach Jeff Imamura left the Vikings staff just before Turner came aboard.

And of course, Cam turner is his nephew, but they've never actually worked together till now.

• Pie 1

And now this...

One, it means guys like Buckner (if he's one of them) will be free to look for jobs.

It also means Wilks may be looking to try and poach more of our staff.

Connections: Secondary coach Kevin Ross worked two years under Norv early in his coaching career, but again, not a position we're looking to fill.  Assistant special teams coach (a position we apparently are planning to fill) Steve Heiden played for Norv in San Diego in 2001. Linebacker coach Bob Sanders spent a year with Norv in Miami, but as connections go John Pagano has a better shot at that job.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And now this...

One, it means guys like Buckner (if he's one of them) will be free to look for jobs.

Yeah, looks like we might be losing more assistants to the Cards. 

I wonder if Wilks will hire our ex-QB coach Ken Dorsey 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And now this...

No disrespect to Wilks but he can take Ron's old college buddy with him.  I won't say his name because it's like saying Beetlejuice one too many times.

I'm intrigued by the story about the interview with Seattle's assistant special teams coach.  Don't know anything about him.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No disrespect to Wilks but he can take Ron's old college buddy with him.  I won't say his name because it's like saying Beetlejuice one too many times.

I'm intrigued by the story about the interview with Seattle's assistant special teams coach.  Don't know anything about him.

Nickel coach Jeff Imamura was an assistant linebacker coach when Farwell played linebacker for the Vikes.

Might be how they heard of him.

Edited by Mr. Scot