Anybodyhome

Another School Shooting- Let's Review Latest Gun Legislation

Guns will not be outlawed.  Next solution?

If bump stock still legal after Vegas, you can bet your ass guns will continue to be legal.

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

If early reports are to be believed the gunman was expelled last year and had made threats directed at students and faculty.  Such behavior cannot be ignored or end with a student's expulsion.  These sorts of cases should be handed over to law enforcement for investigation and if found credible these individuals should be no longer be eligible to possess firearms and be enrolled into a court supervised mental treatment program.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

If you have a student that's not allowed a book bag at school they need to be institutionalized.  No one ever said freedom was guaranteeing personal safety. 

Do you not think our forefathers knew some would use the 2nd to cause harm? Of course they did but there needed to be the ability of the common man to have some chance to stop tyranny. I'm sure you will dismiss this comment and that is your right but a crazy person doing wrong does not give the gov the power to take my freedoms.

2 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

Guns will not be outlawed.  Next solution?

If bump stock still legal after Vegas, you can bet your ass guns will continue to be legal.

Agreed, guns will not be outlawed.  But there is a lot of space between where our country is now and where the rest of the civilized world is when it comes to gun regulation.  We don't have to be as strict as some of those nations, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

How are these teens, whose minds and emotions are not fully matured yet, getting ahold of these weapons and ammunition?

It seems pretty clear he had already been identified as having emotional/anger issues.  Where are the parents in his life?  What level of responsibility are they accountable for? If we don't want a "Nanny State"  parents need to be held accountable.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Agreed, guns will not be outlawed.  But there is a lot of space between where our country is now and where the rest of the civilized world is when it comes to gun regulation.  We don't have to be as strict as some of those nations, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

How are these teens, whose minds and emotions are not fully matured yet, getting ahold of these weapons and ammunition?

It seems pretty clear he had already been identified as having emotional/anger issues.  Where are the parents in his life?  What level of responsibility are they accountable for? If we don't want a "Nanny State"  parents need to be held accountable.

Not sure if true but I read that he was adopted and that both of his adopted parents had recently passed.

1 minute ago, Yellow Mustard said:

If you have a student that's not allowed a book bag at school they need to be institutionalized.  No one ever said freedom was guaranteeing personal safety. 

Do you not think our forefathers knew some would use the 2nd to cause harm? Of course they did but there needed to be the ability of the common man to have some chance to stop tyranny. I'm sure you will dismiss this comment and that is your right but a crazy person doing wrong does not give the gov the power to take my freedoms.

The vast majority of gun owners are responsible AFAIK.  Cruz's threatening behavior should have made him ineligible to legally own or have access to a firearm IMHO.  Obviously, expelling someone like Cruz from high school doesn't address the potential threat he poses to the rest of society.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Yellow Mustard said:

Not sure if true but I read that he was adopted and that both of his adopted parents had recently passed.

Ok, if it turns out the weapon used to kill 17 people today belonged to his adopted parents, that presents another issue. 

What would your solution be to ensure someone emotionally/mentally unstable like Cruz doesn't get ahold of a parent's firearm after their death?

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

24 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

HIPAA law protects them.  Change HIPAA law for mentally ill, problem solved.  I just bought a Glock yesterday.  My application asked me if I was mentally ill... like if I was mentally ill I would answer yes?  This is dumb.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

HIPAA law protects them.  Change HIPAA law for mentally ill, problem solved.  I just bought a Glock yesterday.  My application asked me if I was mentally ill... like if I was mentally ill I would answer yes?  This is dumb.

Sure is.

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

Idk the law in Florida(probably shitty) but in Maryland you have to be 21 or over to buy AR’s/hand guns.

18 you can buy normal hunting rifles/shotguns. 

3 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Sure is.

FBI did full background check on me but they had zero clue about my medical history (which is amazing by the way).  But  it means they cannot check mentally ill people and would clear them to own the gun.  We must change HIPAA law.  It went into effect in 1996.  I do not see a reason why HIPAA should block FBI from having medical info.  I got nothing to hide, I own guns, I’m all pro tighter restrictions and better background check.

conservatives: criminals will get guns no matter what

also conservatives: stricter background checks should solve this problem 

• Pie 5

I think weapon permits should required to pass health check prior to purchase.  Also increase tax to make them less affordable.

• Pie 1