Anybodyhome

Another School Shooting- Let's Review Latest Gun Legislation

Just now, teeray said:

It is much more likely that a gun will be used in a murder or accidental death than someone protecting themselves. 

Part of the reason you believe this is because you live in a reality that's protected by guns.  

4 minutes ago, teeray said:

Are people who are historically disenfranchised and being imprisoned by local and federal government at an exorbitant rate allowed to declare a tyrannical government and open fire on police and military?

You're infected with an incurable ideology.   I wish you the best, but I have no other things to say to you.  

2 minutes ago, Black&Blue said:

Part of the reason you believe this is because you live in a reality that's protected by guns.  

You're infected with an incurable ideology.   I wish you the best, but I have no other things to say to you.  

How protected am I?  How protected were those kids?

Figured you would dodge that second question.  What is funny is my ideology has changed over time.  My old ideology was cured.  Why can't my current one be?  

Once I dug below the talking points of my Republican and NRA brethren I realized most of these rationalizations of need for guns fall apart under the smallest of scrutiny.

1 minute ago, teeray said:

BTW in this modern world with no real state military and only a federal military what would a tyrannical government look like?

Are people who are historically disenfranchised and being imprisoned by local and federal government at an exorbitant rate allowed to declare a tyrannical government and open fire on police and military?

What does a tyrannical government look like?

One of the major reasons the Southern states wanted the second amendment was to ensure the states continued to control their militias and not the federal government.  

The Second Amendment states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Why was the term “free State” used, rather than “free Nation” or “free Country”? Actually, the term “free Country” appeared in the original version of the Second Amendment. However, the wording was changed to appease slave owners. Why? Because prominent southern slaveholders wanted the Bill of Rights to sanction slave control militias. As H. M. Henry noted: "Slavery was not only an economic and industrial system ... it was a gigantic police system." This tyrannical police state was largely administered through brutal slave control militias. Unfortunately, if the free states wanted to have a Union, they would have to make a “deal with the Devil” in the form of a terrible compromise with the slave states over these diabolical organizations. The first terrible compromise was to allow the ghastly institution of slavery to be "legal" in the United States. The second terrible compromise can be found, ironically, in the Second Amendment. And that second terrible compromise is allowing innocent children to be gunned down in schools like Columbine and Sandy Hook, thanks to the NRA and its supporters. 

These extensive militias had become part and parcel of southern society. Two decades before the Revolutionary War, the state of Georgia passed laws that required all plantation owners or their white male employees to enlist. The Georgia militias were required to make monthly inspections of all the state’s slave quarters. According to Professor Bogus, "The Georgia statutes required patrols, under the direction of commissioned militia officers, to examine every plantation each month and authorized them to search 'all ***** Houses for offensive Weapons and Ammunition' and to apprehend and give twenty lashes to any slave found outside plantation grounds." 

By the time the founding fathers got together to hammer out a Constitution and Bill of Rights, there had been hundreds of slave uprisings across the South. One researcher, Herbert Aptheker, identified around 250 rebellions or conspiracies involving ten or more slaves. So it should come as no surprise to us that Jefferson wrote: "... our combustion must be near at hand; and only a single spark is wanting to make that day to-morrow ... if something is not done and done soon, we shall be the murderers of our own children." 

Blacks outnumbered whites in many areas. Thus, armed state militias were required to “keep the peace.” So Virginia’s delegates demanded that the Bill of Rights include one granting white citizens the right to bear arms and form state militias. Even enlightened men like Jefferson were afraid of real equality.   

Read more here:  http://www.thehypertexts.com/Slavery and the Second Amendment Slave Patrol Militias.htm

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

One of the major reasons the Southern states wanted the second amendment was to ensure the states continued to control their militias and not the federal government.  

The Second Amendment states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Why was the term “free State” used, rather than “free Nation” or “free Country”? Actually, the term “free Country” appeared in the original version of the Second Amendment. However, the wording was changed to appease slave owners. Why? Because prominent southern slaveholders wanted the Bill of Rights to sanction slave control militias. As H. M. Henry noted: "Slavery was not only an economic and industrial system ... it was a gigantic police system." This tyrannical police state was largely administered through brutal slave control militias. Unfortunately, if the free states wanted to have a Union, they would have to make a “deal with the Devil” in the form of a terrible compromise with the slave states over these diabolical organizations. The first terrible compromise was to allow the ghastly institution of slavery to be "legal" in the United States. The second terrible compromise can be found, ironically, in the Second Amendment. And that second terrible compromise is allowing innocent children to be gunned down in schools like Columbine and Sandy Hook, thanks to the NRA and its supporters. 

These extensive militias had become part and parcel of southern society. Two decades before the Revolutionary War, the state of Georgia passed laws that required all plantation owners or their white male employees to enlist. The Georgia militias were required to make monthly inspections of all the state’s slave quarters. According to Professor Bogus, "The Georgia statutes required patrols, under the direction of commissioned militia officers, to examine every plantation each month and authorized them to search 'all ***** Houses for offensive Weapons and Ammunition' and to apprehend and give twenty lashes to any slave found outside plantation grounds." 

By the time the founding fathers got together to hammer out a Constitution and Bill of Rights, there had been hundreds of slave uprisings across the South. One researcher, Herbert Aptheker, identified around 250 rebellions or conspiracies involving ten or more slaves. So it should come as no surprise to us that Jefferson wrote: "... our combustion must be near at hand; and only a single spark is wanting to make that day to-morrow ... if something is not done and done soon, we shall be the murderers of our own children." 

Blacks outnumbered whites in many areas. Thus, armed state militias were required to “keep the peace.” So Virginia’s delegates demanded that the Bill of Rights include one granting white citizens the right to bear arms and form state militias. Even enlightened men like Jefferson were afraid of real equality.   

Read more here:  http://www.thehypertexts.com/Slavery and the Second Amendment Slave Patrol Militias.htm

You are right.  It's true.  You can read the Federalist papers amd more importantly for proper context the Anti-federalist papers and understand clearly what the debate was about in that time.  It was about State sovereignty and State control over their own militias.

That is why I say the intents and purposes of the 2nd amendment even in the kindest interpretation of the political rhetoric over the Constitution and Bill of Rights became obsolete after the federal government took over our military.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, rodeo said:

i notice they consciously decided to omit all of his MAGA and "'i'm going to kill a lot of people, fug antifa" social media posts.

How are these teenagers getting ahold of these weapons?  Possibly the most emotionally volatile/confusing time in someone's life and we are handing them the means of mass destruction.  Nuts!

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Black&Blue said:

The Michael Moore clones come out at night.  

Actually I have hardly been in here since the Trump presidency because I just gave up.  I no longer understand how people can be duped by conservative ideology anymore.

Doesn't make sense except for some form of tribalism where it isn't really pro conservatism as much as it is "sticking it to liberals."

That has become the entire GOP ideology. They are essentially the party of internet trolls.

26 minutes ago, rodeo said:

i notice they consciously decided to omit all of his MAGA and "'i'm going to kill a lot of people, fug antifa" social media posts.

Yeah, our media tends to be very accommodating to those in positions of power.   Trump is a big beneficiary of it.

2 minutes ago, teeray said:

Actually I have hardly been in here since the Trump presidency because I just gave up.  I no longer understand how people can be duped by conservative ideology anymore.

Doesn't make sense except for some form of tribalism where it isn't really pro conservatism as much as it is "sticking it to liberals."

That has become the entire GOP ideology. They are essentially the party of internet trolls.

We live in a very tribalistic society, more so now than at any time I can remember.  In such an environment facts and rational thinking tend to take a back seat to supporting your team right or wrong.

• Pie 3