Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arbnranger

A little out of touch

Recommended Posts

Hi fellow huddlers, 

I trust and value you for your solid, logical (sometimes) and downright honest opinions. 

So I pose a serious, yet honest question to you and would like to here your answers.  The smart ass answers are welcomed and expected as well, but want your honest vibe. 

To start.... I don’t have any social media other than Snapchat .. those friends are 90% my family. I recognized a couple years back that the younger part of my extended family operates on there. So hey, it’s a good way for me to stay in touch with nieces and nephews, cousins, hell even son and daughter. (My kids act like they don’t see the notification on a text but will respond immediately to a snap ...ok yea right ) Well I got with the program. Pretty cool 

I’ve never had Facebook, Twitter, insta .. etc Now, that doesn’t mean I’m not familiar or know how they work. I just choose not to have them. In addition, I cut the cord about a year ago so I don’t watch any standard TV programming. I got the ole Flix and Prime so I do watch movies and shows just not regular TV, news or commercials. I visit the Huddle and Sherdog with possibly  abnormal regularity, so I do get a lot of news from you guys.

My point here is that I’m a little cut off from the hive mind and current events. Not saying there is something wrong with being a part of it, but I find myself in a lot of situations where I don’t know wtf is going on . 

What I would like to know is, do you think your social media/tv is a good or bad thing overall and why? Feel free to discuss the ones you enjoy most and why. 

Btw this isn’t a judgy post whatsoever. I chose not to have social media out of personal preference but I respect different tastes and perspectives. Just curious 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


In times like today, nobody is really saying anything, so you aren't missing much.

I'm 51 and the Huddle is my only social media, and I'm hip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do social media either, simply because I enjoy my privacy. I work in the public sector and my job every day is dealing with citizens. The last thing I want to do is allow more people access to even a somewhat controllable portal into my life away from the job. I think it's important to protect my privacy in that I have had some crazies threaten me and, really, the bottom line, at the end of the day I want to come home and enjoy some uninterrupted privacy. I spent the first 20 years of my adult life in the service where nothing is private, living in different apartments or on ships and once I retired, I gained a huge appreciation for what a sanctuary place my home is.

Like you, I do not watch any network TV to speak of- a couple shows here and there, and never the news. I read Reuters, AP, CNN, BBC and occasionally Al Jazeera America for my new sources.

I have a second home in Mexico and that's another reason I choose not to engage in social media. I don't want to have to go back and cover tracks that might give away if I'm going out of town for several days or if my second home is vacant. My wife does FB and constantly tells me about a few of her family members who will post everything they do all day long... including some things a lot of us don't really want to know about. What purpose does any of that serve? Why do we need to tell every one or have every tell us what's going on all day?

No thanks- I'm just not interesting or interested enough to want to monitor the lives of, or be a part of other peoples' lives 24/7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess you don't want to talk about Gotham and why they keep changing Poison Ivy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I think it's important to protect my privacy in that I have had some crazies threaten me 

Would love to hear this story sometime. 

50 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

 

I have a second home in Mexico and that's another reason I choose not to engage in social media.  

Got a room for rent ? 

:tongue:

Great post man, thanks for the insight and perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jangler said:

In times like today, nobody is really saying anything, so you aren't missing much.

I'm 51 and the Huddle is my only social media, and I'm hip.

 

You are pretty hip and underrated on your music appreciation. Some people could learn a few things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I'm concerned, social media has replaced, digressed and, in some respects, totally displaced face-to-face communication.

Social media does not allow for voice inflection, tone of voice, facial expression, delivery, timing, etc. all of which go directly to the intent and meaning of what's being said.

I could stand face to face with someone and have a personal conversation in which another person is in total agreement with what I say. I could likely go to a social media site, post the same thing and have that same person tell me I'm fugging nuts.

I talk to people throughout my day, most of whom I don't know. If we're unable to reach some kind of understanding or we're simply unable to convey thoughts and meanings, I'll always offer to meet in person.

I know people who have told me, "I don't answer voicemails. If you want to talk to me, text me." First of all, texting is not talking. Second of all, if you don't answer voicemails, why not make that clear in your message? Third, if the best you can promise me is a text, I'm not thinking we'll be talking (texting, in your book) anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm most active here and a boating/fishing site.

 

I have Facebook, pinterist, twitter, snapchap, and instagram accounts, but other than football stuff on twitter, I'm on those very little if at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

As far as I'm concerned, social media has replaced, digressed and, in some respects, totally displaced face-to-face communication.

Social media does not allow for voice inflection, tone of voice, facial expression, delivery, timing, etc. all of which go directly to the intent and meaning of what's being said.

I could stand face to face with someone and have a personal conversation in which another person is in total agreement with what I say. I could likely go to a social media site, post the same thing and have that same person tell me I'm fugging nuts.

I talk to people throughout my day, most of whom I don't know. If we're unable to reach some kind of understanding or we're simply unable to convey thoughts and meanings, I'll always offer to meet in person.

I know people who have told me, "I don't answer voicemails. If you want to talk to me, text me." First of all, texting is not talking. Second of all, if you don't answer voicemails, why not make that clear in your message? Third, if the best you can promise me is a text, I'm not thinking we'll be talking (texting, in your book) anytime soon.

You and I aren't close in age I don't think, and I hear this a lot from the older generations, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Before smartphones every single person on a train had a newspaper in front of their face, letters were mailed for years, telegram, fax, phone calls, etc....none of those are face to face, but seemed more "genuine" to the older guys I talk to?

Friends or family I'll talk, text, e-mail, anytime....business dealings?  I want it ALL on paper/e-mail/record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jangler said:

So I guess you don't want to talk about Gotham and why they keep changing Poison Ivy?

Like nobody notices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thefuzz said:

You and I aren't close in age I don't think, and I hear this a lot from the older generations, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Thanks for replying in the thread. 

Just curious as to what you don’t buy or agree with, in the anybodyhome post?

I agree with a lot of your post, I just didn’t understand what you meant by that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't think you're missing much.  I have most of the major ones (FB, Twitter, IG, etc), and yet I always come back here...sad???

The reality is I have very specific uses for each, and most of them aren't that important.  Facebook is where I keep the friends and family I'm not in regular contact with.  That way we can see the high points for each other.  Otherwise, Facebook is more and more adds and suggested posts.

Twitter is where I follow some news outlets (tech mostly), a few politicians and commentators, and Panthers stuff.  I mostly read through, skip most of the junk.  I'm getting tired of twitter though because it wants to keep bringing up old stuff and pretend it's new.  Ugh.  Hit or miss.

Instagram - this is my new one.  I have discovered a joy in photography, so I post stuff there to share with my younger relatives, friends and the internet.  Maybe one day someone will want me to take their pictures, probably as soon as I'm elected the Pope... 

I come back to here and my Dads of Destiny clan for any meaningful social interactions on the internet.  Otherwise, I'll call or text or meet up with people I actually like and want to hang out with (rarely).

I never cared for snapchat.  I'm much more to the point =)

The internet is great, and it sucks horribly.  Just have to make the best out of it and not read comments on articles I read =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 7:39 AM, Jangler said:

So I guess you don't want to talk about Gotham and why they keep changing Poison Ivy?

Better looking or nah?

 

The show had potential but I don't think it's ever been very good the last few I've watched. . It's one I may catch up on if I get sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, toldozer said:

Better looking or nah?

 

The show had potential but I don't think it's ever been very good the last few I've watched. . It's one I may catch up on if I get sick.

oh no....

Maggie Geha, but they needed a bitchy looking bitch.

640full-maggie-geha.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2018 at 8:04 PM, arbnranger said:

Hi fellow huddlers, 

I trust and value you for your solid, logical (sometimes) and downright honest opinions. 

So I pose a serious, yet honest question to you and would like to here your answers.  The smart ass answers are welcomed and expected as well, but want your honest vibe. 

To start.... I don’t have any social media other than Snapchat .. those friends are 90% my family. I recognized a couple years back that the younger part of my extended family operates on there. So hey, it’s a good way for me to stay in touch with nieces and nephews, cousins, hell even son and daughter. (My kids act like they don’t see the notification on a text but will respond immediately to a snap ...ok yea right ) Well I got with the program. Pretty cool 

I’ve never had Facebook, Twitter, insta .. etc Now, that doesn’t mean I’m not familiar or know how they work. I just choose not to have them. In addition, I cut the cord about a year ago so I don’t watch any standard TV programming. I got the ole Flix and Prime so I do watch movies and shows just not regular TV, news or commercials. I visit the Huddle and Sherdog with possibly  abnormal regularity, so I do get a lot of news from you guys.

My point here is that I’m a little cut off from the hive mind and current events. Not saying there is something wrong with being a part of it, but I find myself in a lot of situations where I don’t know wtf is going on . 

What I would like to know is, do you think your social media/tv is a good or bad thing overall and why? Feel free to discuss the ones you enjoy most and why. 

Btw this isn’t a judgy post whatsoever. I chose not to have social media out of personal preference but I respect different tastes and perspectives. Just curious 

 

Thought provoking thread OP. I use facebook as an online diary. I love seeing reminders of past events and my own observations on the development of my son. I have been making use of privacy settings so that only my wife or close family can see the majority of what I post. I'm not fond of attention seeking posts by others whether heartfelt or otherwise. It seems to me that for many people the lines have blurred in terms of keeping things to yourself and understanding what is appropriate. However, i have been living in Asia for 8 years now and FB provides a window into the lives of my loved ones back home, too. Although I phone as often as possible I find that looking at my feed can be more insightful than a conversation in which their mind is elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how/ if that changes when I emigrate to an Englishy speaking country this time next week. I think I will continue to browse but likely post more infrequently.

 Now my wife was explaining twitter which seems to represent many of the aspects i like least in FB. From her point of view as a networking and idea sharing resource as part of her masters it makes good sense.

 I know little about snapchat or instagram but I am rather unwilling to find out about other platforms which would consume my time.

  If anything my desire is to step back from social media and reinvest time in reading which is much more satisfying and rewarding for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×