• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

2 minutes ago, rodeo said:

i am a libertarian. i hate right wing fascists who pretend to be libertarians.

As am I.  I also understand liberties are not kept in my wallet and have zero tolerance for racists fascists misunderstanding libertarinism.

Edited by Fryfan

4 minutes ago, rodeo said:

I haven’t really met anyone like that, that claims to be a libertarian but I do see a lot of “Liberty memes” posted on social media by types that probably are like that. I suspect that Libertarism is a fad for some people and they think it makes them look edgy and counter-culture(ish). 

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery

Just now, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

I haven’t really met anyone like that, that claims to be a libertarian but I do see a lot of “Liberty memes” posted on social media by types that probably are like that. I suspect that Libetarism is a fad for some people and they think it makes them look edgy and counter-culture(ish). 

anyone who says they're a libertarian and supports the current fascist/statist administration is as i described.

Just now, rodeo said:

anyone who says they're a libertarian and supports the current fascist/statist administration is as i described.

Again I’ve never personally met a self proclaimed Libetarian that supported Donald Trump. So I would tend to agree with the premise of your original comment. 

1 minute ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

I haven’t really met anyone like that, that claims to be a libertarian but I do see a lot of “Liberty memes” posted on social media by types that probably are like that. I suspect that Libertarism is a fad for some people and they think it makes them look edgy and counter-culture(ish). 

The current fascists angle of the modern day libertarians was not "counter culture" it was the Murry Rothbard's of the world using fear of others and racism to attract in the redneck vote.

1 minute ago, Fryfan said:

The current fascists angle of the modern day libertarians was not "counter culture" it was the Murry Rothbard's of the world using fear of others and racism to attract in the redneck vote.

I honestly don’t know anything about that but I’ll look into it. 

6 minutes ago, rodeo said:

thats like 100% of "libertarians" atm...

True, Trump may not be a man of ideas, but his presidency and political style were imagined by one man: the libertarian economist and philosopher Murray N. Rothbard, who died in 1995. Not long before his death, Rothbard rejoiced when he saw in the emergence of David Duke and Pat Buchanan, in 1992, his long-held vision for America’s right and concluded that what was needed was more of the same:

And so the proper strategy for the right wing must be what we can call “right-wing populism”: exciting, dynamic, tough, and confrontational, rousing and inspiring not only the exploited masses, but the often-shell-shocked right-wing intellectual cadre as well. And in this era where the intellectual and media elites are all establishment liberal-conservatives, all in a deep sense one variety or another of social democrat, all bitterly hostile to a genuine Right, we need a dynamic, charismatic leader who has the ability to short-circuit the media elites, and to reach and rouse the masses directly. We need a leadership that can reach the masses and cut through the crippling and distorting hermeneutical fog spread by the media elites.

Inching more to the mainstream, Andrew Breitbart and Steve Bannon’s fusion of libertarianism and populism seems Rothbardian in inspiration. Indeed, Justin Raimondo, Rothbard’s disciple and the author of the biography Enemy of the State: The Life of Murray N. Rothbard, pronounced in February 2017, “Bannonism is libertarianism.” A few days, later Bannon announced his fight for the “deconstruction of the administrative state,” a goal that would have garnered Rothbard’s enthusiastic applause. Rothbard and Bannon apparently also both share an appreciation for Vladimir Lenin as political sensei, but the latter’s familiarity with the Russian revolutionary’s ideas might very well have come from the former’s writings.

But it was Joseph McCarthy and McCarthyism that provided Rothbard with one of his main political inspirations. In 1954, when Roy Cohn was forced to resign as McCarthy’s counsel, Rothbard wrote a speech for Students for America’s George Reisman to give at what would be a raucous goodbye fete for Cohn at the Hotel Astor. With McCarthy in attendance, Reisman declaimed Rothbard’s words:

There’s been only one thing wrong with the famous methods of you or that other great American Senator Joe McCarthy: You have been too kind, too courteous, too considerate, too decent to realize in the fullest sense the viciousness and venom of the left’s smear bund that’s dedicated to drive every effective anti-communist from public life. The communists and their New Dealer cousins may have their family quarrels at times, but essentially they have been united, united for 21 years in a popular front regime of the left.

In the recorded version of this speech, you can hear the crowd going totally wild.

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-forgotten-man-ganz

Edited by Fryfan

5 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Again I’ve never personally met a self proclaimed Libetarian that supported Donald Trump. So I would tend to agree with the premise of your original comment. 

there are several of them on this board. even supported gary johnson briefly in the primaries, until trump won and they turned hard right authoritarian.

Everyone supports their own parties fascists. If you don't think elements of fascism are present in both modern political parties you're  intellectually dishonest and/or a moron.  Stopping illegal immigrants at the border doesn't make you a fascist, nor does cutting taxes or wrapping yourself in the flag. Now if Trump overthrows the government and becomes a dictator, instead of a twitter idiot, then we can have a discussion about his relative fascist tendencies compared to his predecessors. 

8 minutes ago, tondi said:

Everyone supports their own parties fascists. If you don't think elements of fascism are present in both modern political parties you're  intellectually dishonest and/or a moron.  Stopping illegal immigrants at the border doesn't make you a fascist, nor does cutting taxes or wrapping yourself in the flag. Now if Trump overthrows the government and becomes a dictator, instead of a twitter idiot, then we can have a discussion about his relative fascist tendencies compared to his predecessors. 

how do people become dictators?  They aren't them over night.  

and both parties support stopping illegal immigrants.  That isn't what this is about.  

and by the time a Putin is in total control.....it isn't the time to then talk about it.  You are too late.  And this whole, X can never happen in America, is BS.  Anything can happen here.  If the people allow it.  The people who founded this country and made it something great along the way.....they have realized that.   They have voiced.  2018, too many Americans seem to think you can just watch a poopshow and somehow nothing bad will actually happen.  Because, there was a little poop before so it is all okay. 

11 minutes ago, tondi said:

Everyone supports their own parties fascists.

Glad you have come clean about your support of Trump.

19 minutes ago, tondi said:

He already is, quit playing dumb

Your post is dripping with willful ignorance

Edited by ImaginaryKev

Democrats aren't for open borders, some of you Trump supporters need to quit trying to move the goalposts and creating this epic fugging strawman in order to defend human rights abuses because it's sick