• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

AggieLean

17 Year Old Shot & Killed by Police in East Pittsburgh

Can I save time and say how this thread is going to go. 

Conservatives will say he deserved to get shot because he ran from the police. 

Liberals will say running from the police and not putting anyone at harm doesn't warrant being shot and killed by police. 

Racism accusation will be made, racist comments will be made.

Claims will be made that liberals think all cops are terrible.

And in the end everyone thinks everyone who doesn't see their point of view is trash. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

This seems similar to the Charleston incident.  Running away from a traffic stop.

8 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

whats the logic in shooting someone who is running away?

Too lazy or out of shape to chase; you only see that in Hollywood (TV)

I'm not good at conversations like this because I'm not witty enough, but the car had been suspected in a drive-by shooting earlier, so that may have been why the cop shot. They eventually found two guns in the car. The cop probably shouldn't have shot, but at the same time, the two kids shouldn't have jumped out of the car and ran.

There's no winning here for either side. It's a very sad thing that could have been avoided by both parties.

Edited by Arroz con Panther
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Cat said:

Can I save time and say how this thread is going to go. 

Conservatives will say he deserved to get shot because he ran from the police. 

Liberals will say running from the police and not putting anyone at harm doesn't warrant being shot and killed by police. 

Racism accusation will be made, racist comments will be made.

Claims will be made that liberals think all cops are terrible.

And in the end everyone thinks everyone who doesn't see their point of view is trash. 

I understand the nihilism, but I still think things like this deserve discussion. My views in my 20s were almost the polar opposite of what they are now. Repeatedly being confronted with people that disagreed with me was a tough experience, but it challenged me to search myself and the validity of my views. It took over a decade for my views to change in any meaningful way, but not before I spouted a lot of hateful stuff on this message board and out in the world. It's exhausting to tell others that something is wrong when so many people are telling them that everything is fine, but in my opinion that's when it's most important. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Arroz con Panther said:

I'm not good at conversations like this because I'm not witty enough, but the car had been suspected in a drive-by shooting earlier, so that may have been why the cop shot. They eventually found two guns in the car. The cop probably shouldn't have shot, but at the same time, the two kids shouldn't have jumped out of the car and ran.

There's no winning here for either side. It's a very sad thing that could have been avoided by both parties.

yes it is equally bad that someone ran from a cop and that a cop shot a fleeing minor in the back 

equally bad

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

yes it is equally bad that someone ran from a cop and that a cop shot a fleeing minor in the back 

equally bad

I never used the word, 'equally.' It's absolutely terrible that a kid lost his life.

4 minutes ago, Arroz con Panther said:

The cop should not have shot a fleeing suspect. That's not proper procedure at all. It says in the article that the officer that shot the boy had just been sworn in hours before the incident, so he was new and inexperienced. To me, this situation underscores a leadership/training failure. Why would a brand new police officer feel that the proper response to a fleeing suspect was to shoot that suspect in the back? Who failed to teach him the proper handling of this situation? This guy will have to live with killing a child for the rest of his life. 

When did the punishment for simply running away from the police without even having a weapon become immediate execution on a city street?

10 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

The cop should not have shot a fleeing suspect. That's not proper procedure at all. It says in the article that the officer that shot the boy had just been sworn in hours before the incident, so he was new and inexperienced. To me, this situation underscores a leadership/training failure. Why would a brand new police officer feel that the proper response to a fleeing suspect was to shoot that suspect in the back? Who failed to teach him the proper handling of this situation? This guy will have to live with killing a child for the rest of his life. 

Gotcha. The article I read left that part out. Every story like this underscores a training failure and none of it will change until that does.

13 minutes ago, TheRed said:

When did the punishment for simply running away from the police without even having a weapon become immediate execution on a city street?

Didn’t they shoot somebody before this traffic stop?

31 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

I understand the nihilism, but I still think things like this deserve discussion. My views in my 20s were almost the polar opposite of what they are now. Repeatedly being confronted with people that disagreed with me was a tough experience, but it challenged me to search myself and the validity of my views. It took over a decade for my views to change in any meaningful way, but not before I spouted a lot of hateful stuff on this message board and out in the world. It's exhausting to tell others that something is wrong when so many people are telling them that everything is fine, but in my opinion that's when it's most important. 

Totally agree

1 hour ago, stirs said:

This seems similar to the Charleston incident.  Running away from a traffic stop.

Except that one was just a traffic stop. This was apprehending suspects in a shooting from earlier that day. Very different. 

• Poo 1